Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eerie religious references in sports game

from yesterday's Denver Broncos vs. Pittsburgh Steelers game:

1. Tebow threw for 316 yards
    2. Steelers time of possession: 31:06
    3. Tebow threw 10 completions this game. 10 books after the book of John (in the Bible) is the book of Timothy.

Timothy 3:16

Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great: He appeared in a body, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory.

4. In Armageddon, "The army mentioned attacks the Saints in the New Jerusalem"

Saints!

Israel's flag is Blue and White.

Colts colors are Blue and White.

SB game is in Indy.

Saints v Broncos SB

5. Broncos: Total yards 447, total plays 55, average gain per play = 8.1

Romans 8:1: "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

Broncos Time of Possession was 29:05.

Isaiah 29:5:

Moreover the multitude of your foes
    Shall be like fine dust,
    And the multitude of the terrible ones
    Like chaff that passes away;
    Yes, it shall be in an instant, suddenly. (i.e. 11 seconds).

Broncos' average YPC rushing was 3.9. 1 Corinthians 3:9: For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building. I guess they're talking about Sports Authority Field, there.

Tim Tebow's completion percentage was 47.6.

Psalm 47:6 says:

Sing praises to God, sing praises!
    Sing praises to our King, sing praises!

And here's where it's going to get REALLY freaky.

Tim Tebow's QB rating on the season was 72.9. Psalm 72:9 says: May the desert tribes bow before him, and his enemies lick the dust.

Tebow's completion percentage on the season was 46.5. Psalm 46:5 says: God is in the midst of [Israel], she shall not be moved; God shall help [Israel], just at the break of dawn.

Now let's look at his career numbers.

Tebow's QB rating for his career was 75.1. Psalm 75:1 says "We praise you, God, we praise you, for Your Name is near; people tell of your wonderful deeds." (such as OT touchdowns, maybe).

Tebow's career yards per attempt passing is 6.8. This one REALLY freaks me out. Revelation 6:8 says: "I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth."

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare for teh rapture.

I don't deserve credit for this post. Coincidence??
    Triton. At your service.

Yes, all coincidences. Especially since at least half of those verses have little or nothing to do with anything. Looks like someone just decided to look up Tebow's stats and find the Bible verse associated with it, regardless of what it said. Which is silly. I don't believe a word of the Bible anyway, it's just archaic behavioral modification that people almost 2,000 years later are still falling for.

But, I digress.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Jan 9, 2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo(s).

Flying high in the sky with a fly in your eye.

Mind what you post. Some people here might find bible quotes offensive.

Personally, I don't like seeing it posted everywhere but it can't be helped. Mindless devouts following a book written by man. But I digress and won't say more since I might have offended with THAT comment.

Apologies to those that I might have offended. I meant none.
    'All tales end in tragedy. Follow the hero long enough, you'll step across his corpse.'
    Survivor of TWO live Gwar performances.

SPORTS
    SPORTS

Actually, I don't really think FOOTBALL can be the coincidental fact of the rapture, i guess.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

This restored my faith, praise the lord! I should have known God would show himself in football. It even says in the Bible: And on the 7th and last day he created his masterpiece, the football. Commet, sing Hallelujah!

How foolish thou are who do not follow!

This is about Tebow's stats and the connections between them and the bible. Not a "hey let's bash religion" topic.

Grow up.
    Spoiler!

Anyway, some of the stats/verses are really out there and mean nothing. Things like John 3:16 are interesting and all though, because of Tebow's eyeblack in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by loukaras View Post
    PSO-World is a game?

Guess we have a different sense of humor, then.

Anyway, all belief differences aside, I would actually like to know where Xellitoss got the stuff in the OP, since he said he doesn't take credit for it.
    Last edited by Dhylec; Jan 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM.

why do people get hung up on all the random coincidences about the bible? I'm an avid Christian and from reading the Bible God makes it pretty clear that when we do this kind of stuff it's basically A. following false prophets and B. idolizing earthly things,

Also it's true what SStrikeR said, if you're not religious, that's your choice, but if you're going to try to debate with people about it A. video game forums aren't the place to do it, and B. try hard to be less offensive so the debate stays away from simply being emotional and keeps an intellectual aspect, that's legitimate advice i hope people will take to heart

Eh, it's not so eerie. The phenomena is called apophenia, the false identification of patterns from random noise. It's a common illusion/delusion which manifests in nearly every sphere of human experience... even science. Richard Feynman wrote famously on the dangers of "Cargo Cult Science", especially in regards to the softer sciences like sociology and anthropology.

I wouldn't even call Tebow's biblical football adventure as coincidence. The range of phenomena it could be as equally well applied to is too wide to call it anything other than a contrived and direct effort to reconfirm Christian belief against what is seen as a rising tide of secularism by "manufacturing miracles" which are so cheap that they make John Edward's cold reading look sophisticated.

Quote Originally Posted by SStrikerR View Post
    But making jokes about it isn't funny.
    Yes, it is. The only thing that makes them unfunny is that people actually believe the absurdities in some very dangerous and socially destructive ways. Taken metaphorically, religion can be used as a powerful tool to close the apparent gap between the realm of human experience and the reality in which we find ourselves trying to survive in and understand.

I don't particularly find much use for it, other than literature, but it has apparently helped fill a desperate psychological need.

Nobody wants to hear about how intelligent you are for not believeing in it, and how stupid and primitive religious people are in your opinion.
    The religious aren't typically stupid people, and if unbelievers are statistically more intelligent, it's only because they allow themselves to explore a greater range of topics and tend to make more universal applications of reason to challenge or overturn their own pre-existing biases. I would say religious folk tend to be more ignorant, but that's not an insult, since ignorance is the natural state of all people - and nothing in itself to be ashamed of until it becomes willful. In that case, religion as a phenomena is more to blame for making otherwise intelligent people say quite stupid things... and compassionate people endorse atrocities... by sabotaging their minds with dogma reinforced by both fear and social pressures.

Besides, it's not like our schools have been doing a great job at teaching critical thinking skills. The error of false positives that the OP made/referenced was not because "teh religin made him dum", but because he fell for a confirmation bias which is a pretty much universal to the human psyche. It's not like dousing rods, magnetic engine efficiency boosters, and homeopathy have rigid dogmatic belief systems that are indoctrinated into you from birth - but damned if they aren't still quite profitable and popular despite being demonstrably worthless.

Besides, I highly doubt many Christians would honestly believe the OP's example is some message from god. It may be taken as truth, lightly, among believers and fellow parishioners (or as email spam) as a booster to their faith (and by proxy, themselves)... but you'll never really hear this as a serious argument to justify their faith in the face of opposition.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Jan 12, 2012 at 05:34 AM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

That one place you may or may not have been... East-side

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Hawk View Post
    Mind what you post. Some people here might find bible quotes offensive.

Personally, I don't like seeing it posted everywhere but it can't be helped. Mindless devouts following a book written by man. But I digress and won't say more since I might have offended with THAT comment.

Apologies to those that I might have offended. I meant none.
    Don't take me wrong for what I'm about to type, not attacking you or nothing, just considerations and somethings to think on...

Not everyone following a book, or that book is mindless... Do some people that have faith in, (according to the true Christian belief) behave mindlessly, and follow not knowing what they're doing, going into the faith mindlessly? Yes. I stand guilty, but after further study, I've come to a solid conclusion. Jesus speaks against that (Being a mindless follower, I'll post some references later.), God speaks against that, He doesn't want mindless followers. REAL faith is based on some sort of truth, evidence, and evaluation, which many of us lack. But if people, Christians and atheist alike, actually took time to read it, and not walk away with a full opinion on half the facts, we'd be in much better shape. BUT... Only in a perfect world right? But because of a select few that claim to be in the faith don't live out their Christian walk the way they're supposed to, the whole body gets labeled as drones or dumb, or uneducated, or primitive.

There are/were scientists that were Christians and believed in God, who's information is used today, and that information is written in a book somewhere... That's unbalanced. And i'm not offended really, just upset at the imbalance, and the fact that that statement is incomplete.
    Our laws are based on written principles, our text books, and many other important documents written. If it weren't for books, we wouldn't have much history, information on people, wisdom, instruction manuals... I think you get my point.

And this book is different from the others, in that, it was inspired by God. This book has been attempted to be destroyed several times and taken away (IT'S STILL HERE). However its a claim that shouldn't be blinked at. People say they don't believe cause of lack of evidence... Fine, you're being more than logical. You're just saying you want evidence to back this up, NOTHING wrong with that.

But i guess in closing, my point is, what if it's true...??? This is how this deity chose to show and expose himself, along with many other mediums that are ignored... But seriously, we need to examine every angle, before making a conclusion on half the facts. Cause If the Christian, regardless of level of faith, intelligence, or how their living is right about the existence of God, the next logical thing is to figure out what said God wants... RIGHT?
    1 Corinthians 13 Love suffers long, is kind, envies not, isn't puffed up, doesn't behave unseemly, seeks not it's own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil, rejoices not in sin, but rejoices in truth, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things, love never fails... (MATTHEW 24:3-51)