Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Online friends, do you take them seriously?

Have you ever known someone in game so well that you considered them to be a true friend or someone that you could count on IRL?
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic43936_3.gif
    Dumb PSU vids and Dumb PSO2 vids in the sig Rappy Gifs here

Yeah. Most of my friends that I can count on are internet friends, actually.

You think you're a cool cat but you're really just a hot dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Have you ever known someone in game so well that you considered them to be a true friend or someone that you could count on IRL?
    Yes, many people. I've known some of my online friends for almost six years now. I definitely consider them best friends, even though I've never met them face-to-face. I say, if you're not going to take any kind of friend seriously, then they aren't your "friend." You should take every friend just as serious as any other.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Yes, many people. I've known some of my online friends for almost six years now. I definitely consider them best friends, even though I've never met them face-to-face. I say, if you're not going to take any kind of friend seriously, then they aren't your "friend." You should take every friend just as serious as any other.
    Until you give them your address and they stab you in the middle of the night...

Quote Originally Posted by Cleptomaniac View Post
    Until you give them your address and they stab you in the middle of the night...
    And with that attitude it'd be hard to make friends that wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleptomaniac View Post
    There are plenty of people I trust enough to give my address to, if they asked. I've mailed things, like Christmas cards and whatnot, back and forth with online friends before. It's fun, I think.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

I take my e-friends as seriously as my real friends, like anyone else the longer you've known someone the more you can trust em and all that mushy anime moral of the story Saturday morning cartoon stuff.

But if I only vaguely know you from one place and only talked to you a few times, then you'd probably just become an acquaintance/ghost image on whatever "buddylist."

Maybe I just wouldn't expect e-friends to stick around as much as easier as in person friends. Usually when you meet someone in person it's probably in a place you go to a lot. It's the same online obviously, but it'd be more like a larger open community where everyones comfortable to the point where you can meet dozens of people everyday, you can befriend a whole classroom but you're not always gonna keep up with 500 people in a lobby.

So just like in person you're only picking a few to be in your usual circle of friends(that could turn into a gang or clique or whatever) but you've still met probably 10X as many people in that online community, compared to the 10-40 people you've met in that "real life" place/hangout you go to a lot. So you have to be ones of those 400 guys that get forgotten. Then so is every other person you met that didn't become an actual friend.

That sounds confusing.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

oooooo... This is a tough one. I'd have to say yeah. Sure some may take you for granted at first, but you shoulda not spoiled em at first. But what say do i have in this? Anyways...

Recap. I do treat my online friends like RL friends. Sure you might get laughed at if ya don't got alot of RL that dont come from the actual RL but who cares? I dont. Unless well, your my friend and you treat my problem like &*#@ or not to mention, total bull. And i mean Problem. No s's here. Just problem.
    Last edited by FOkyasuta; Jan 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Its easy for me to meet people, talk to them and get to know them a bit. It is hard for me to make anyone into a long term friend. I am not THAT easy as a person.

I don't have many people I consider to be "Friends" as I hate "levels of friendship." To me if a person becomes a friend, I do all possible within the relationship to remain friends. I hurt easily even with my weird personality.

I met my girlfriend online. First as a super argumentative friend trying to convince me to have more "faith" in civilians and people, then as a best friend who I could count on to make me laugh. Then, as a girlfriend over a long period of time and soon to be my wife. So a lot of shit happens because I think back on what would have happened if I did not accidentally clicked on a club in a site to join, and that very first post and email reply.

Those who are good friends to me, I would do whatever it takes to keep them as friends. I don't care if its online or offline. I don't judge people online as sets of items, collections of numbers and text on a screen.

The hardest thing for me online has always been the helplessness which occurs at times when I want to help someone through a rough time but I have to convince them to help themselves because we are hundreds to thousands of miles away from each other. If I were physically there, I could be more active, but it sucks in always having to convince others to take charge of themselves. All the same talking goes very far if done right and I spend my time helping others if they are worth it.

Anyone who knows me, knows its either love/hate with me. You will either like me enough for getting caught up in all the strange shit that happens around me and the fact I am accepting, or you will hate me so much that you would love to stuff me in a rocket and hurl me towards the sun.

Knowing me, I probably would write up a thank you note....

"Dear whoever it may be

Thank you so very much! I appreciate the stench and smell of this boring old 30+ year old rocket picked apart from a mine. Oh yeah the cracked hull and leaking radiation feels nice on the body! Oh my! Its getting hotter among these stars and me without my SPF 1 billion lotion. I thought it was bad at first, but all these loons beside me make me wish to become acquainted with our dear old Sol!

Thanks and love,

Don't worry!, You won't be alone when I'm gone! I'll be right there haunting your ass for all eternity! Peace be with ya ******! ^_^ "

Boom!

Of course its only who I am.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

I take my online friends as seriously as I take my actual friends, and I've met up with one or 2. Heck, I was in an online relationship for a long time, and eventually took it to the next level. It's working out so far. I still keep in touch with my online friends, as well as my friends back home. Its even more interesting because some friends from both groups have become friends.