Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

yes, on PSU 360 and JP servers, including on original PSO Xbox, i still talk to them here and there and on facebook. .
    now that some barely play phantasy star games. or not anymore. they are just living life.
    Last edited by Ryno; Jan 11, 2012 at 01:04 AM.

Yes, definitely - there's a subset of people I've met on PSU and other games who I consider proper friends. There's one guy from Midnight Club 2 in I still play email chess with. Most of my remaining RL friends (I'm at an age where we've all moved away for various careers) I met online, on a telnet based chat system. My XBL friends are the people I watch films with most - because they like the same types of films I do.

I'm going to not break with what everone else has said and say yes. I have several good friends online, and I used to have only one good friend IRL. Now he's moved 9 hours away and we don't talk much. So really my internet friends are the only friends I got. If nothing else: I know I'd be a lot more depressed without 'em.

warped://perfection Mantiskilla's Avatar

I can say that I don't actually. To me they are just friends who share some common interests with you nothing more; nothing less. That doesn't mean I don't care about said persons its just my friends outside the online realm to me are the ones that are irreplaceable so its hard to put online friends in the same category. Just my opinion of course

In the communities I have joined and the people I have met, I can say yes and no.

Yes, because we have a common interest that ties us together. No, because they usually use that same facade that came with being a part of the community. The one thing that made them want to know me was the personality I had in place at the time, which usually ends up with the question "are you a girl?" Those types of things I stopped doing as I got older, which also got them to ease of on the overly happy/excited personality type.

The friends I know in real life, tend to share more than just one point of interest and actually have news and other such to talk about. With e-friends, they're usually stuck on one thing and it stays as such, making conversation with them being dull.

Only a few have been different from the ones I've met, but those few are rather scarce lately.
    Last edited by blace; Jan 11, 2012 at 02:33 AM.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

In my opinion, if people you know only from online can't be counted as friends, then friendship is defined only by physical contact which is kinda silly... I used to play PSO with this one chick every day invariably for several months... We were kinda the beez kneez, then she left for college. That really sucked - like, a lot. I had recently lost all my friends because I moved so this kinda emphasized that loneliness I was experiencing. I've never told anyone because I don't think they'd take it seriously.

Point is, I definitely take them seriously, and I never mock those people who hang out in chat rooms all day with their anime role playing.
    Respekt.

I do take my online friends seriously. Weather or not I've actually met them face to face or not is irrelevant to my feelings towards the people whom I've made friends with over the years of online gaming.

For example: I've played City of Heroes for about 3 years at an internet cafe before the doors were closed for good in '10. In that time, I've joined a SG called The Justice Guard. I've have developed some deep relationships with various people in the SG that I still maintain contact to this day.

It's a shame that other people I've met online in other games have faded from view that I would love to get a hold of again; just to catch up. (I've been gaming online since '02)

I'd need to really get in touch with them. Outside of the exact thing we've friended for. Like, i communicate with alot of folks about PS stuff back in the day; but I'm only really friends with those I talked to about other stuff online. Through Skype or Livechat or whatever the case.

I've even meet one of my online friends a few times. (Stab free almost. If you catch my drift)

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

There are certain online friends that I've gotten to know more than just for gaming, so yeah, those I take more seriously than others.

A castle clouded beyond the mist and rime, in the depths of your mind

Well yes, I don't take them any less seriously than people I hang out with in person.
    Some I've known for 10ish years. It's pretty much the same to me, some people you get to know quite closely, other just sort of stay in some awkward spot where you just sort of have one interest together and not a whole lot else to talk about, and other are just sort of acquaintances.
    But real-life is exactly the same.

A few things really suck about only being online friends though, like the helplessness at times, like Keilyn said. Sucks that you can't just be there when something happens and I hate it, hate it, hate it...! x_x
    Also I think... Some things aren't communicated as well, like...
    Well... It's just more difficult to read people in general. A face says so much, your tone of voice and all that. So misunderstandings happen more. When chatting I mean, I mostly just chat.

But still, they're my friends no matter what, and they're important to me.
    I don't know what I would've done if I hadn't had friends online, because I never had any friends in person before. I probably wouldn't be here today.