Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default restrictive start

hello just wanna see your thoughts on this,

do you think when pso2 launches it will have alot of restrictions (not in a bad way) like psu did when that wass launched, for example lv50 was the cap, b rank weps were the highest and only a few missions.

i would like this to be honest so the majority of people wouldnt be miles ahead of me if i didnt get the game right away :P. this might actually make the community bond better due to the fact that everyone would be on the same wave length, if u know what i mean. this would also allow them to release new content which isnt new, for example they would have made it but had it locked again like psu and moatoob.

yeah so what do u think, do you think sega will restrict the inital launch and would you prefer it if they did?

btw hello im new to the forum

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

I don't think it's a TERRIBLE idea... but I think it'd mostly what Online Games that don't have a lot of content do in general to keep their players tame.

Instead of actually having a good game with lot of content to do that job for them.

And them bringing it back in PSO2 will probably irrationally piss a lot of people off. Of course this is mostly like one of many things they already learned their lesson from, but this being a PC game there's no where to go but up. So who know's where they're start.

I just hope we're getting everything they planned to make which I think they would... I think... Instead of giving us 25% of an unfinished game like they did PSU. and by the time they get close to making the game it should've been when it came out. Everyone's already sick of anything good it had to offer(As in PSU did have good parts even though it wasn't PSO. Just saying, before this thread becomes a "WHY PSU SUCKED 100%" fest) after playing for 3-5 years.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

i guess your right, i think maybe instead of confining a player, they should just expand on a finished game, i also think the problem i had with psu is there are no noobs, i am going to admit im pretty nooby, i have played for like 3 weeks, i played the demo from 2007 til death dont say "wow u must of loved doing nothing", its the noobs that keep people playing imo, when people have no one to brag to, when people have no one new to meet, when people have no one to help, the game just becomes boring, no matter how much new content comes out, the player makes the game so the game can make the player, but i think now for the pantasy star series thats been and gone and everone goes straight to the top, like psu, and there is no noobs to play wiht noobs.

i know from experience noobs dont want endless freebies, they dont want money, they dont want to hit a monster once that would oneshot them if a level 100+ kills it, they (me) just want someone on there par to play with, play against, have fun with and learn with.

The original PSO never had locked content like PSU did, so hopefully they don't do it this time around. I think a lot of that had to do with the PS2 not having a hard drive, so in order to make it look like they were adding new content, they would simply unlock stuff (which fooled no one).

We probably won't get access to everything right away, but I doubt it'll be as locked down as PSU was. At least this time, if stuff isn't available yet, I'll have reason to believe they haven't actually made it yet.

Hmm...it is a conundrum.. one one hand: I don't think its wise to keep a lot of the game under lock and key just to release snips of it at a time (don't you DARE "release" 4 "expansions" Sega). But on the other hand: I also don't think it wise to have EVERYTHING available at the start because all the "hard core 1337 RPG gamers" will be bored and bitching within 2 weeks (not like that won't happen anyways but I can dream).

But I suppose all this hinges on how they plan to work community content into the game. Will they release the modeling tools to the public (See: Team Fortress 2 and Hammer)? Or will they simply be "taking suggestions and sketches" for weapons and areas. If they do the former rather than the latter, I GUARANTEE they will have more content than they could ever implement into the game.

All we can do is wait and see.

Depends, PSU wasn't a bad idea necessarily just a HORRIBLE execution. It did keep everyone in the one place, so you had parties, it was pretty easy to maintain mulitple characters. I tried starting fresh on the JP server but there was too much stuff and too few low level characters to actually run with; so I wouldn't mind if they keep it limited to some degree as long as they update and keep the content coming at a decent pace, and unlock ALL of the content with in a decent period of time.

No thanks.

The horribly restrictive start PSU had was the main reason for its less-than-stellar critical reception which in turn probably contributed somewhat to the low population.

PSO2 better start out with a decent amount of stuff to do.

Well, PSO2 only has an online mode so you won't know if the online version will start like PSU's did or not.

What Mike said. With PSU, there was always the issue of "why is this offline content that's always been here not available online yet." I specifically remember not getting a Killer Elite until after Sega announced that they were closing down the PC/PS2 servers and I only got back on after quitting because they made it free-to-play, yet one of the stupid loli-bot PM's could wield one months before it was actually released for players to use. That, and the Japanese servers getting waaaay ahead of us didn't help either...

While it'd be nice if an offline mode was announced, at the same time, we wouldn't have to worry about running into this problem again if it was strictly an online game. So I guess it boils down to whether the developers want to have an offline mode available for the game so people can play whenever they want, or devote more of their resources towards a possibly more fulfilling online multiplayer experience with more content overall.

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

Ideally, they'd start out by releasing an entire game's worth of content, and expand on it over time. This is not what happened with PSU, because even if you didn't do anything offline, you could tell that there was a lot of crap on the disc that they had not started letting you access, just because of how little content there actually was.

So instead of doing something moronic like starting with only low-rank weapons and a handful of areas being accessible at all like in PSU, they should have an entire 100 levels' worth of content available from the get-go, and then add on whole episodes afterward that are roughly the same amount of content (though these could individually see a staggered release, so it's chunkier but more often updates, rather than one absolutely massive update every year or so).

There's kind of a problem with a lot of online "action" games nowadays, where they're launching with a rather small amount of content, and players that genuinely enjoy the game end up getting to the end of said content before the updates start happening... So they just stop playing. It's best to avoid that.
    Last edited by Kent; Jan 22, 2012 at 02:01 AM.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."