Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 81516171819202128 ... LastLast

Yes, the only real problem where Vita could hinder the PC version is memory. If PSO2 is a success and lasts more than 10 years, then all those accumulated updates will take up a huge chunk of memory on the Vita. It's going to be interesting to see how they will handle expansions and such. I really hope that PSO2 will be successful enough to reach that far though.

Quote Originally Posted by youcantcatchtheblue View Post
    Yes, the only real problem where Vita could hinder the PC version is memory. If PSO2 is a success and lasts more than 10 years, then all those accumulated updates will take up a huge chunk of memory on the Vita. It's going to be interesting to see how they will handle expansions and such. I really hope that PSO2 will be successful enough to reach that far though.
    Honestly, the biggest I can ever see the game getting is 40 gb. That should be fine on the Vita, storage is not the issue, the issue is updating through PSN and network latency.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
    Honestly, the biggest I can ever see the game getting is 40 gb. That should be fine on the Vita, storage is not the issue, the issue is updating through PSN and network latency.
    Network latency is going to happen no matter what... it's common with anything online. Take two computers playing the same online game and place them side by side. Do any action on the one computer and it will take at least half a second before the other computer displays the same action. I know from personal experience having played an MMO with friends in a computer lab.

Remember, data must run from the player's machine to the server, be processed and sent to the machines of other players who are in the vicinity. It's fast, but not instantaneous.

Some games are better for it (mainly fighting games), because the information is more or less localized between the two players... but in an MMO like this, it's much harder, since there are a lot more people in an area at once. Fortunately, the way this game works (more squad-based than anything else), there's less people in an area at once than, like WoW for example.

More than likely, Sega will run the servers and have it possible for the Vita to access them. Simple as that, really... as for power, the Vita is practicly a mini-PS3, so it's strong enough there... moreso than some of the PCs that'll be able to run the game.

From my personal experience in the alpha, latency is less annoying in this game than it was in PSU, in PSU you get hit, but the animation and damage wont appear until you receive the information from the server. In PSO2, only the damage delay is displayed later in cases of extreme lag, you get hit, the animation appears at the same moment, and your gameplay experience is not affected by latency, except for the fact that you may be beating a long ago dead enemy.

For the Vita, it's just like PSP2 the data is going to be reduced in quality to save GB's. Meaning it won't look the exact same in quality, so data will never become an issue for PSO2.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFoxR View Post
    Network latency is going to happen no matter what... it's common with anything online. Take two computers playing the same online game and place them side by side. Do any action on the one computer and it will take at least half a second before the other computer displays the same action. I know from personal experience having played an MMO with friends in a computer lab.

Remember, data must run from the player's machine to the server, be processed and sent to the machines of other players who are in the vicinity. It's fast, but not instantaneous.

Some games are better for it (mainly fighting games), because the information is more or less localized between the two players... but in an MMO like this, it's much harder, since there are a lot more people in an area at once. Fortunately, the way this game works (more squad-based than anything else), there's less people in an area at once than, like WoW for example.

More than likely, Sega will run the servers and have it possible for the Vita to access them. Simple as that, really... as for power, the Vita is practicly a mini-PS3, so it's strong enough there... moreso than some of the PCs that'll be able to run the game.

The thing is, the Phantasy Star series has been using a very archaic form of character sync since PSO. This is where all enemy position is synced on individual clients as opposed to the server. This was less noticable in PSO because, let's face it, the game was not quite as twitchy and action packed as the later installments of the series.

They used the same formula in PSU and it caused some noticable problems from time to time when it seemed like your partner was attacking 'nothing'. It made setting up team tactics difficult because of the unreliability. This went a step further in PsPortable2 where the handheld was not powerful enough to sync character position properly and thus enemies and positions were almost never synced (in my experience) with the map across all players.

The only time enemy data was handled server side was during boss battles.

I had hoped that since the game was coming to PC that they would have worked out a new system, but since I didn't team very often in alpha I couldn't communicate with players and test latency correctly. However... since there are now multiple parties per area, and skills (i.e. War Cry) that rely on the ability for enemies to be synced correctly on all screens that this wouldn't have been an issue... however... not that the Vita is in the picture I'm not sure what to think.

People are claiming that it's network capabilities are better than the PS3, which is promising since DCUO seemed to run smoothly, and it didn't hold back the PC version at all in terms of updates.

I did see in the video though where there are 4 people playing the game and 3 of them are on PC and one of them is using a Vita and it looked like the screens were synced almost perfectly... so as long as that wasn't a fluke, I'm fine with Vita support, in fact I'd be behind it.

I dont feel like hunting for the info through all of these posts. So please tell me, can you bring your PC PSO2 characters to your Vita and play it? I mean that would be awesome if you could quit playing PSO2 on your computer and play it on your Vita while you wait for 30 minutes to see your doctor or dentist, take a bus ride, or just whatever. I will definitely by a Vita for this if it is so.

I cannot see buying a Vita to play an online only game. I mean if that was so I would want it for my PS3 and large screen tv. But, again, if I can switch and play the game on both my pc and vita then it is a sell.

End of Line.

I just read on another site that you in fact, can do so. So this is a must buy for me. Too bad you can't play it on the PS3. I would love to play it on my huge tv screen.

Now, if I could only use my VITA as a controller for the PC game .................
    Last edited by Drithe; Mar 10, 2012 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drithe View Post
    I dont feel like hunting for the info through all of these posts. So please tell me, can you bring your PC PSO2 characters to your Vita and play it? I mean that would be awesome if you could quit playing PSO2 on your computer and play it on your Vita while you wait for 30 minutes to see your doctor or dentist, take a bus ride, or just whatever. I will definitely by a Vita for this if it is so.

I cannot see buying a Vita to play an online only game. I mean if that was so I would want it for my PS3 and large screen tv. But, again, if I can switch and play the game on both my pc and vita then it is a sell.

End of Line.

I just read on another site that you in fact, can do so. So this is a must buy for me. Too bad you can't play it on the PS3. I would love to play it on my huge tv screen.

Now, if I could only use my VITA as a controller for the PC game .................
    Yes the character data is going to be shared server wise. And it's just like you said the VITA version is most likely for people who are at a hotel or rather don't own a PC in the first place.

You can switch at anytime, just like FF11

Quote Originally Posted by Totori View Post
    Yes the character data is going to be shared server wise. And it's just like you said the VITA version is most likely for people who are at a hotel or rather don't own a PC in the first place.

You can switch at anytime, just like FF11
    Or buy a laptop and it fits all your needs =). Big screen tv? Yes! Controllers? YESH!? PORTABLE?! HECK YEAH!

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

Hunter of the Mighty Cake Caerik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ark22 View Post
    Or buy a laptop and it fits all your needs =). Big screen tv? Yes! Controllers? YESH!? PORTABLE?! HECK YEAH!
    What if you have all of the above?

Anyhow, this announcement convinced my old PSU group from my town to buy the vita. I'm not so lonely in owning one now.

Edit: Grammar failure.