Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Protesting Vita

Default Protesting Vita

Not that it's formal or anything, but since the vita announcement I've honestly lost any hope this will be any different than PSU, and think it's not even worth the effort anymore. I participated in the alpha, but will not be playing the beta. I was wondering if any alpha testers would be willing on the English side of things to make a formal statement by simply not joining and showing Sakai/SEGA the disinterest they've caused in the game by choosing selling copies over making a decent game. A large group are already very dissatisfied in Japan about this turn of events, too, so it's not an Western specific problem due to psu, they consider SEGA's decisions on PSU highly detrimental to their community as well.

Here fans are expressing discontent on a popular Japanese forum:
    http://logsoku.com/thread/awabi.2ch....e3/1331700434/

Some of the things they're saying they worry:
    Vita has no keyboard and will limit communication (anybody who's played PSP or games like Monster Hunter know what this is like)
    Vita will hold back the game's capabilities and limit updates to only what a portable system can handle, particularly with large-scale events being virtually impossible
    Vita's 3g communication is shit (their word) and will be detrimental to the speed of rooms and cause connectivity issues
    The portable system would have a limited life span and would prematurely kill servers (Much like with PSP)
    Hacking is a problem on PSP and due to the limited nature of consoles, they can't be updated properly to prevent it
    For some reason they also think that Vita will force the game to be based on cash items, although I don't understand why.

This whole thing to me is showing SEGA's distance from fans, they don't care about mistakes that the fans feel killed their other games, and aren't showing they care enough to prevent anything like that from happening again. In fact, they're truly showing they're willing to repeat the same mistakes for sales.
    Somebody in the thread even mentioned how hard it would be for SEGA to gain their trust back, and that the way it's going currently, it looks like they're not even trying. I totally agree with this person.

Please don't make this an argument about how much you like Vita. I'm speaking specifically to PC users and people who would be willing to organize to make their voice heard. I don't mind having a Vita version at all, I just think SEGA's handling it terribly, and there are other threads to debate that.

EDIT 24 March 2012: I have gotten so much opposition from the pro-Vita side of this website, but I've gotten literally nothing but agreement from people in the outside world. I'm sorry, but I have to agree with everybody here that a firm-footed "I'm not going to do this or buy your game" sort of buycott would accomplish nothing, and that was never what I meant by "protest". I want to voice my opinion and leave it up to Sakai to correct everything. I have a lot of faith in him as a developer. I'm still planning a Japanese-side demonstration during the first beta, and will help anybody not currently involved get involved, but I don't want anybody to think I'm against a Vita version, just against any sort of inhibition of the PC version.

My goal here is to prevent consoles from inhibiting the PC. Anybody who wants to help is welcome to PM me how, and I'll update more in-depth plans when dates on testing are released. I want to make one thing perfectly clear though: I truly think a Vita version would be a lot of fun for Vita users, and that there will be a certain threshold in which Vita will benefit PC and PC will benefit Vita. I just think currently this transaction HIGHLY benefits Vita at the expense of PCs and I want to feel secure as a PC user that Vita won't hurt us.
    Last edited by failstrom; Mar 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM.

The name you are bestowed with fits you oh so perfectly. All these issues have already been adressed by the dev team itself.

There is so much speculation and nonsense extrapolation of details we don't know that I don't even know what to say really.

Far be it from me to judge a product that is only 10% complete...

Chill out, take a breather, and revisit this in 6-8 months.

I'm fully aware the issues have been "addressed" but the addresses were simply paraphrasing "don't worry it will be alright." If you weren't so quick to start things on an internet forum, you'd actually contribute with facts and not ideas on ideas on ideas.
    The fact of the matter is I specifically asked for you not to respond like that, and if you were to have even taken the time to read the link, you would see these issues are very current. The hundreds of posts in the thread weren't even started until two days ago. Obviously the address wasn't very thorough.

You don't make a very good case for yourself when you just brush aside what the developers say. But the Vita version isn't coming until to Japan until 2013. You've got plenty of time to drum up support.

If you'd like to take the word of a company who's pulled these stunts before, you're more than welcome to, just like when they said they'd get the updates back on track for PSU America. Where's your server now? They address issues like connectivity by saying 3g is optional, ignoring the fact that it is still terrible. They address the communication problem by saying there will be add on options to enhance it, ignoring that people will still have difficulties without them. Every case they've made is only half-baked at best and they're relying on selling copies before they have to actually answer the hard questions. I'm going to be showing them today that they have to answer the questions now. Maybe in America people are too ignorant to doubt things until they've been proven with companies who are prone to break trust and I'm just asking the wrong audience for help, but I'm just guessing you didn't take the time to read the thread either. 2ch, unlike this site, is not a fan-based site. It is a site for a general consensus from a wide variety of people with no set loyalty, and it's been shown that the general consensus is discontent amongst people who are just as involved and moreso than you. If you don't think that is the case, then you're not making a very good case for yourself when you're just brushing aside what the fans say.

So from what I can tell from your post:
    Your only problem with the game is that it's going to be on the Vita too.

Sorry, please try again.

The issue with 3G connectivity negatively affecting play for PC users playing with them was pretty specifically addressed -- you won't be able to party-play with PC players or probably even other Vita players unless you're on WiFi, and they are looking at having some other mode of play available for Vita players when they can't get on WiFi.

The only real legitimate concerns are the ones about limited communication (but that would ONLY affect Vita players, how the hell would it affect PC players at all?), and the possibility of the Vita version negatively affecting the size and scope of expansion content and events. Also, a concern you failed to note is the possibility of dividing the community between two different platforms if their tests determine that Vita players and PC players playing together won't work well due to whatever technical issues might come up.

Everything else is knee-jerk, baseless conjecture. And no, I for one sure as hell won't be boycotting the beta or the retail game based on that.

Not the first time that idiots on 2ch have kneejerked over something and others followed suit, won't be the last.

Let them fucking finish the PC version before you prep the torches and pitchforks over the Vita version.

Quote Originally Posted by failstrom View Post
    Some of the things they're saying they worry:
    Vita has no keyboard and will limit communication (anybody who's played PSP or games like Monster Hunter know what this is like)
    Vita will hold back the game's capabilities and limit updates to only what a portable system can handle, particularly with large-scale events being virtually impossible
    Vita's 3g communication is shit (their word) and will be detrimental to the speed of rooms and cause connectivity issues
    The portable system would have a limited life span and would prematurely kill servers (Much like with PSP)
    Hacking is a problem on PSP and due to the limited nature of consoles, they can't be updated properly to prevent it
    For some reason they also think that Vita will force the game to be based on cash items, although I don't understand why.
    So what this is saying is that the popular forum-goers of japan don't own a Vita. The Vita has a very nice on-screen touch keyboard that works like smartphone keyboards. It plays games just as smoothly as the PS3 - I'm currently loving Marvel vs Capcom and Uncharted, which look damn amazing and have no slowdown. 3G is definitely not going to allow simultaneous play, so I imagine a limitation to what you can do across that network will be thought out thoroughly, or they'll just scrap 3G connectivity to the game all together. PSP didn't have a limited lifespan in the slightest.

Yes, I own a Vita. I don't think it's God's gift to this earth, but I am surprisingly impressed with what the console has to offer right off the bat - and it can only really grow from birth. I'm not arguing with you because I like the Vita. I'm arguing with you because you're following a group of internet lurkers who shove their text around like they know their shit, when nobody knows anything.

I just don't understand why people get so bent out of shape about things that not even the developers know or have set in stone or any of that.