Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Default 3/28 blog on cash shop & beta

The official blog was updated today with some clarification on how the Arks Cash will work and some a small change on the closed beta. First, the level cap on the closed beta has been lowered from the announced 30 to 20 to accomodate for balance changes. All the new stuff announced for the closed beta will still be there but the level cap has just been reduced to 20.

Now, for the cash shop news. To repeat what was announced in the 2nd Media Briefing:

All three versions of the game will be free to play and free to download.

There will be no special level cap for those who don't spend money.

There will be no direct selling of items.

The blog then continues to list the categories of items and some of examples.

System-related Items
    • Storage expansion
    • Skill tree expansion (not buying new skills but being able to have a "new" skill tree. Maybe this means you'll be have multiple builds at once?)
    • Opening your room or shop
    • Accessing the item trader

Some of these items will be permanent and some will have a time limit. Packs of these options will also be for sale.

Consumables
    • Scape dolls
    • "Super" Star Atomizers (this is something I just made up. Items that can be used to heal large amounts of HP when you don't have access to techs are what is being sold and that sounds like a Super Star Atomizer to me)
    • Other certain consumable items

Scape Dolls will only be available in the cash shop but Moon Atomizers will still be normal drops.

Effeciency Items
    • Grind chance boosters
    • Drop rate boosters
    • EXP boosters

All of these items are time based and only apply to monsters. EXP, meseta, and items are obtainable through "Client Orders" but these items won't affect them.

• Clothes, hairstyle, etc.
    • Part of the beauty shop will also be cash-based

There will also be two gatchas called "Arks Scratch." They differ by cost to use them. The cheaper of the two scratchs will contain will contain various cash shop items including costumes. The more expensive of the two will contain only costumes. Most of the items obtainable from the Arks Scratchs can be sold in player shops. According to the blog, the gatcha is a way to keep item prices down as selling individual costumes would "cost more than we think." Gatchas, for those who don't know, are like those gumball machines you see at the entrances and exits of supermarkets. You put your money in and something comes out at random.

As for cheaters, bots, gold sellers, and other nasty types, the blog says that because some of the communication abilities are locked to players who don't purchase system related items, they'll be able to keep a handle on the situation. And of course, bans and stuff will be handed out as needed.

Finally, the game's main artwork, done like something out of PSO:

Quote Originally Posted by Vashyron View Post
    Also here, have a Higher Res version of the Artwork in the OP and some other Variants:
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Mike; Mar 28, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Clarification & stuff

No direct selling of items
    Thank god, though I'm not too thrilled about the Rate boost option. EXP boost is one thing, EXP is guaranteed no matter how unlucky you are, but a droprate boost is essentially indirectly selling items for cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    Thank god, though I'm not too thrilled about the Rate boost option.
    Only that? Except for the storage expansion, the entire System category has me turned off. Completely.

I do hope this can quiet down some of the haters... but, y'know...

Edit: The "system" category is just a way to fight off RMTers/botters. It is a necessary evil since they don't have a "freemium" (P2P) option, and since the privileges are permanent I have no issue with it. Well, provided the prices are not outrageous, that is.

Edit #2: UNLESS the items with "time limits" are the very ones I think should be permanent, in which case Sega can go screw themselves. But I really doubt they're that stupid, especially after doing so many other things right.
    Last edited by Zyrusticae; Mar 28, 2012 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Only that? Except for the storage expansion, the entire System category has me turned off. Completely.
    My mistake, I missed the "open room/shop" and item trader option.

...Yeah that shouldn't be a cash shop privilege.

A good option for cash shop would be extra character slots. With so many classes I like the design of, I hope they'll give the option for that.

I get the feeling gatchas won't carry on overseas because of the whole gambling business. I could be wrong, though with TF2's whole "crate" nonsense.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, having the whole room/trader options in the cash shop isn't much different than PSU's free course restrictions, is it? You have to remember you pay $0 up front to play this game. If the prices aren't outrageous I can be a little lenient on some things being buy only.
    Last edited by Macman; Mar 28, 2012 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, having the whole room/trader options in the cash shop isn't much different than PSU's free course restrictions, is it?
    You're right, I suppose. It's been so long since I played PSU I had forgotten about that. It still doesn't make me very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You're right, I suppose. It's been so long since I played PSU I had forgotten about that. It still doesn't make me very happy.
    Maybe if they throw up a reasonably priced permanent unlock for the system category as a whole or something, then it wouldn't be quite so bad (Compared to cost of PSU, anyways) Basically, something to make it effectively an optional Guild Wars type model.
    Coming Soon!

We'll just have to wait for the closed beta and see.

Not a fan of gatcha, but it's reasonable enough for me. I'm sure a few people here will be happy about that.

The system doesn't give a HUGE advantage to people who buy cash shop to people who don't. That's all I really care about.Chances are if you weren't willing to pay for the subscription fee that we thought it would have then this free to play model is great. If you were willing to pay then the (probably) little amount of money you put in to the mostly cosmetic based shop (which isn't even monthly like the subscription would be) shouldn't be an issue. Arguably some items will be timed but lets admit, we've most likely have seen worse. I think free to play is something phantasy star needs in order to grow. This model will attract tons of new people and possibly future fans of the series. This is just my view point on the topic
    Last edited by DayDreamer; Mar 28, 2012 at 01:51 PM.