Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Home Dog View Post
    Result of the lottery will be strict, has been elected as a participant closed β test.
    Congratulations!
    Please join us in this opportunity, I would appreciate your valuable opinions!"
    Hooray! Home Nuts got into the Beta. Someone else for me to party with.

Good....good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimcon View Post
    Yep! Your In, just go download it, BIG RED BUTTON when you log in, can't miss it.
    Thank you!

Sega forum: Home Dog
    YouTube: GamerTime1226

Would be great is someone hexed the launcher so I knew what the graphical settings say.

Like on the one page with 1 - 5 5 looks the best
    but then there is a page with 2 boxes and 3 options in each thats gotta do with graphics also.

Kagajibaris are Dezorians Omega-z's Avatar

Here go Clessy this may help you it's closer to the bottom of the page and also does the Morphing part of the CC too.
    http://bumped.org/psublog/category/p...star-online-2/

Downloading at 350bkps. Meeeh, its gonna take a while.

Already been said, PSO2 uses Gameguard, which is something usualy poor Asia developers like to use, because its an cheap method in order to "reduce" the risk of cheater. Its a rootkit and its not foolproof, thats why that kit have to be constanly updated in order to reduce the risk of being fooled. It surely can cause issues for many users, especially users of WIN 7 64 bit, as there could be some lack of compatibility. Gameguard and PSO2 are Win 32 based, and are actually some archaeological remains from the past.

The expensive method is a advanced server side solution which is used on WoW and as good as any MMORPG of higher class. I hope Sega will someday reach a higher level and dont need to use stuff such as Gameguard. We have to compare PSO2 with one of those because its online only and so its a game exactly in the same boat regarding its security and its possibilitys.

Its the main reason i will soon create a Gamer only PC because i dont like to have stuff like that on my master system. Steam, Gameguard and all that stuff...it should be excluded on a PC containing sensitive files because it can violate privacy, slowing down PC and could open a new hole for security threats. Unfortunately i am waiting for the IB to arrive in order to build gamer system, and then i will remove all the stuff from the master system which will make me sleep better... at least 1 clean system. May even reinstall the whole mastersystem as soon as i got ride of all the games and theyr protection mechanisms. Else i will have many background leechers which constanly can slow down the system from the leftovers. There is no secure full range gamer PC, thats why it have to be separated.
    Last edited by Xenobia; Apr 18, 2012 at 04:55 AM.

Thanks for virtual full screen set up, was looking for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenobia View Post
    Gameguard and PSO2 are Win 32 based, and are actually some archaeological remains from the past.
    Eh? Game clients are almost always 32-bit as far as I'm aware, and 32-bit Windows programs run just fine on Win 64, with a few exceptions (generally anti-virus programs).
    Last edited by kyuuketsuki; Apr 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenobia View Post
    Already been said, PSO2 uses Gameguard, which is something usualy poor Asia developers like to use, because its an cheap method in order to "reduce" the risk of cheater. Its a rootkit and its not foolproof, thats why that kit have to be constanly updated in order to reduce the risk of being fooled. It surely can cause issues for many users, especially users of WIN 7 64 bit, as there could be some lack of compatibility. Gameguard and PSO2 are Win 32 based, and are actually some archaeological remains from the past.
    I haven't experienced this issue and GameGuard's alleged issues seem grossly exaggerated. I deal with rootkits/malware all day at my job and GameGuard's setup does not strike me as any kind of actual rootkit. I don't understand why people keep calling it that. If you look through Window's Services or the drivers it loads from system32, it's not like it hides itself. Real rootkits generally take the extra step to protect itself and a bad uninstall hardly qualifies it as such.

Also, that link gives a rather dangerous way to remove the service from the registry (I say dangerous cause the average user is dumb about these things) when a simple command in the command prompt will remove it:

Code:
    sc delete npggsvc
    You could do the same for any drivers that gets left behind by a bad uninstaller.
    Last edited by Misto; Apr 18, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aumi View Post
    A warning, in case people don't already know: Installing the beta client may delete all files from the Documents/PHANTASYSTARONLINE2 folder, erasing all your pictures and character files from the character creation demo and Alpha2 test.

That just happened to me, but luckily I still had a restore point from earlier today...
    Well the character creator is named like:
    PHANTASYSTARONLINE2_CHARACTERCREATOR

The Beta folder is named:
    PHANTASYSTARONLINE2

The main folders do not conflict with each others, although the documents folder is named "SEGA: PHANTASYSTARONLINE2". Installing the beta itself doesnt seem to delete it but there can be a issue when 2 folder are named the same and when the Game is trying to create a new folder. However, usualy a game does detect that there is a file already created and wont create another folder. In term is a issue, Sega screwed up big time, which is rather unlikely the case.

@Misto: I actually think that Gameguard is one of the "light" rootkits. The kind of kit which is still in some term acceptable (thats why Kaspersky wont even send me a alarm message), else i would never have installed PSO2 beta at all. Because to much sensitive data on my (main) PC i do care about... so i wont accept any kind of risk coming from that stuff. So im aware that it isnt a truck of a rootkit but it still can be classified as one of them. Because of the fact that it does protect itself from being removed, and its trying to take over certain (task related) controls using admin rights. Some people say, unlike you, that it does hide itself... but im not able to verify that (first time i ever use GG). Another aspect i dont enjoy is the fact that im not sure what that kit actually does to my system, i know it does protect from cheating and does not allow suspicious tasks in the background, but i dont know its detailed behaviour... its always a bit a weird feeling. I feel safe to use for a while, but in long term i rather enjoy to use a different PC for.. then i can consider my main system fully clean to use for any data other than games.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Xenobia; Apr 18, 2012 at 02:38 PM.