Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

The true irony is I think more of us are playing than them. Japan needs to understand its totally not relivant anymore. It creates the lesat amount of profit.

Except for the fact that, you know, all the lag happens when the Japanese zergrush the server during their prime time.

Mechanized Combat Engineer Freshellent's Avatar

Odd subject to handle really. I treat the whole thing as though we are guests and just do my best to stay out of the way. Still though, I wish language wasn't a barrier for us, there wouldn't be any issues otherwise.
    Veteran of the former Universe 11. PSO2 -Ship 02-

I'm sure the Japanese are wise enough to know that it isn't because of us the servers are laggy, but because it's a beta and the whole point of numerous players playing is to stress the servers. So if anything, we'd be doing Sega a favor. Like Macman is implying, the most of us are playing when the Japanese should be asleep. Even if some people on both sides are playing late night, it's just not enough people to make lag present.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    I'm sure the Japanese are wise enough to know that it isn't because of us the servers are laggy, but because it's a beta and the whole point of numerous players playing is to stress the servers. So if anything, we'd be doing Sega a favor. Like Macman is implying, the most of us are playing when the Japanese should be asleep. Even if some people on both sides are playing late night, it's just not enough people to make lag present.
    The server lag is undoubtedly poor hardware, software, or a combination of both. When I log on during the day (central time) there is virtually no one online (I landed on ship 4, I play on block 44 during the peak times and otherwise I just hop on block 1 or whatever) so I don't think the "outsider" impact is nearly as big as they think.

If I happen to log on early in the morning, that's when the lag is most prevalent. I hardly see any NA/EU/other English-speaking players online so I do agree with you that their blame on us is likely just a scapegoat mentality.

I don't know how well (or not well) Sega of Japan is doing, but having the few hardcore/loyal Sega/PSO fans from outside their country playing should be doing them more benefits than harm; at best we'd only make up maybe a couple thousand in population--arguably less if there are no English language options on launch. (Yes I'm aware of the "English Patch", but there are those who prefer a total English experience and not the basic functionality ...to know the story and all that jazz).

All in all, what I'm implying is more money to Sega of Japan equals more money to Sega in general. I have no idea what Sega of America is doing these days, they laid off a good amount of employers and hacked off several titles, retaining some really odd games that I don't anyone would likely purchase.

Seeing how this *is* a F2P title, it would not be a huge risk for SoA to release this for the English community; however....past experiences with PSO/PSU games imply that I'd likely have a better experience in terms of having content if I remain importer status, which really would be my biggest gripe if they implement region blocking.

Think of how we're kinda semi-blaming the Japanese for clogging up the server. Flip that back on us, except with the Japanese saying WE'RE clogging up the server (although we're much, much fewer in number they don't really know that).

That's the general reaction on both sides. At least among the younger generations, gossip and blame is probably more prevalent than intelligent discussion (both Japanese and foreigners) and thinking about what's really making the issue occur.

-Wayu

I think that's a false dichotomy, Wayu; it's not like we are there in proportional amounts. It's much more reasonable that the large amounts of Japanese people signing on at peak hour in Japan are the ones slowing the sever down. Think about it: it's a Japanese game, in the language of Japanese, made for a primary target of Japanese people. I'd say the foreigners are still a minority compared to to the Japanese, which would make complete sense.

When I think of Japan, I think of a homogeneous society that is not known for being tolerant to very much diversity. I'm not surprised that they aren't happy with us.

Fact is fact though, regardless of whether or not we are foreigners, the servers aren't stable period. If there were same number of JP players to replace our numbers, it would have the same effect and vice versa. Not justifying us staying playing in CBT, but it's senseless for anyone to think that temporarily eliminating a group of people will help solve the problem...it is simply delaying the inevitable.

SEGA needs to fix the servers instead of doing quick fixes, but again that is the purpose of a beta. Next beta will surely see improvements.

Which is sad, soubrette. I really like Japanese people.

to be fair, all the JP players I have met are cool, I think i make them smile with my broken Japanese wwwwwwwwwww

Also, regardless of what some official forum thread say, the network engineers log will show all IP regions and whats happening on problem or peak times
    Im sure they have to show their reports and kawaii graphs and pie charts of who and when.

they're professionals dare i say it :P
    Last edited by eharima; Apr 22, 2012 at 09:19 PM.