After playing more than 15 hours of PSO2' closed beta test, I can definately say the good old Phantasy Star Online has been lost. Even though I enjoy the combat system and map randomness, I feel this game is only the shadow of what it could have been. Being F2P, it's more like an MMO than its predecessors. Let me explain why this sucks :

- One of the worst quest systems with repetitive tasks (kill X monsters, bring me that, etc.). We didn't need that with PSO, we already have WOW, Tera, Guild Wars 2, etc.

- Few weapons choices, you'll use a weapon for so long it gets boring. I thought they'd add more weapon types, but it seems not.

- No challenge. The entire game feels like a cakewalk, except maybe some bosses. The A.I. isn't aggressive enough.

- Level design is average. I know maps are semi-random but they only take like 10min max to explore and clear. I miss PSO days when caves could take 30min+ to explore because there were a lot of different routes. Now it just feels empty and boring.

- At first I thought being F2P would be great but seeing how they implemented Ark Cash it is just bad. My Room? Pay. Another character slot? Pay. I think they should have made PSO2 a paid game, something like $49.99 and give us all the features.

- Boost monsters aren't fun. Why are there no rare mobs?! That's what made hunting fun in the PSO days.

- Feels more like PSU than PSO. Thank god mags are back and not Partner Machinery though. On the topic of mags, I think it's stupid to have to complete a client order to have one. I also miss being able to just warp into a zone without completing dozens of quests.

Overall I think PSO 2 is boring, but it has an excellent combat system and cool visuals. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure I'll invest money once the full game is out unless there are signifiant changes to the game flow, which I don't see happening anytime soon. Being closer to an MMO is disgusting and kinda makes it a deal breaker for me, and I've been playing PSO since the Dreamcast days. Feel free to rant or argue.