Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Default MODS, LOCK THIS THREAD

So, am I the only one who thinks that Rangers do too much damage? I played the Beta extensively with my friend(I'm a Hunter, he was a Ranger)... And we ran through the open forest mission several times, throughout different levels. Whenever we'd have to fight the two Rockbears, we figured it'd be easier to split them up. Consistently he was able to kill his Rockbear quicker than me. Not only that, but he wouldn't even have to worry about taking damage.

As a Ranger, you're able to backpedal and non-stop shoot at the Rockbear's head. As long as you don't stop moving, he will never hit you. You don't even have to roll.

And it's not even the fact that the Ranger is able to attack more often.. As a Hunter, several times I was able to non-stop attack by staying directly under the Rockbear... Even then I would lose.

A Hunter can outdamage a Ranger normally... Unless a Ranger takes advantage of weakpoints. And there is where the problem lies.

It's INSANELY easy for a Ranger to take advantage of bosses' weakpoints while staying completely out of danger. Meanwhile, Hunters can hardly use them at all, and even when they do, they're put into a position to take a lot of damage. For Rockbear, it's his head, and for a Hunter to take advantage of that, you're in the perfect position to be punched or even worse, grabbed. Against Dark Ragne, it's sac is hard to reach, and when you do try to attack it, you're able to be hit by his lightning attacks.

This isn't even about B1G D@M@G3 NUMB3RZ DUDE!11!!1

It's like Hunters are pointless. I feel like I'm getting jipped. I have to go in and risk getting hit a lot.... And for what? Nothing?

It's not even like you're "tanking" or whatever for the Ranger, since they can easily move around and not worry about dying while still attacking the whole time. I just don't get it.

Maybe I'm missing something... How does everyone else feel?

EDIT:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/show...&postcount=186
    Last edited by •Col•; May 3, 2012 at 01:28 AM.

Honestly this has been an issue in all Phantasy Star games. It's not that Rangers outdamage Hunters, because they don't. The issue is they can continuously attack without ever worrying about reacting to the enemy. They only need to worry about their distance from the enemy which overall makes their dps higher.

But you know what, they're only cheating themselves really. I think the most fun part about this game is the challenge within the action aspect. Noticing enemy tells and reacting to them properly to get to their weakspot. Playing Hunter and managing to beat an enemy without taking any damage is very fulfilling to me.

Personally I think if you nerfed Jellen some and maybe toned Launchers down a bit, Rangers would be fine. That and they haven't been OP since Blue Burst, let them have their time ;P

Hunter is a class that doesn't get good until later on, and it's all in skills and PA combos. There are some nasty juggles you can pull off with Hunter and once you combine them with stuff like Fury Stance, Fury Crit, JA Boost, and the Gauge skills, you can wreck anything. Sure, you'll have to do so from melee range, but I've seen plenty of Hunters out-damage Rangers with the exception of Weak Shot. Again, tone that down a bit and I think everything's fine.

Oh, and Hunter CAN do that to Rockbears--Gunslash and Aimed Shot does some very nice damage if you abuse weak points, and you'll have tons of range. Although I find it easy enough to let a Rockbear attack, then jump in front of its face and let a quick PA chain go.

Quote Originally Posted by •Col• View Post
    So, am I the only one who thinks that Rangers do too much damage? I played the Beta extensively with my friend(I'm a Hunter, he was a Ranger)... And we ran through the open forest mission several times, throughout different levels. Whenever we'd have to fight the two Rockbears, we figured it'd be easier to split them up. Consistently he was able to kill his Rockbear quicker than me. Not only that, but he wouldn't even have to worry about taking damage.

As a Ranger, you're able to backpedal and non-stop shoot at the Rockbear's head. As long as you don't stop moving, he will never hit you. You don't even have to roll.

And it's not even the fact that the Ranger is able to attack more often.. As a Hunter, several times I was able to non-stop attack by staying directly under the Rockbear... Even then I would lose.

A Hunter can outdamage a Ranger normally... Unless a Ranger takes advantage of weakpoints. And there is where the problem lies.

It's INSANELY easy for a Ranger to take advantage of bosses' weakpoints while staying completely out of danger. Meanwhile, Hunters can hardly use them at all, and even when they do, they're put into a position to take a lot of damage. For Rockbear, it's his head, and for a Hunter to take advantage of that, you're in the perfect position to be punched or even worse, grabbed. Against Dark Ragne, it's sac is hard to reach, and when you do try to attack it, you're able to be hit by his lightning attacks.

This isn't even about B1G D@M@G3 NUMB3RZ DUDE!11!!1

It's like Hunters are pointless. I feel like I'm getting jipped. I have to go in and risk getting hit a lot.... And for what? Nothing?

It's not even like you're "tanking" or whatever for the Ranger, since they can easily move around and not worry about dying while still attacking the whole time. I just don't get it.

Maybe I'm missing something... How does everyone else feel?

rockbears are super easy as a hunter. sonic arrow destroys their face and gives the hunter distance to prepare for any incoming attacks.

as for ragne, all you need to do is break each leg one by one and attack the weak point behind his mask for massive damage. 4 times and he'll be just about dead. he'll more than likely drop 30 seconds afterwards. once again, sonic arrow destroys this guy.

sonic arrow seems quite a bit overpowered at the moment. it makes playing a hunter too easy. i mean yea, the other PAs work better on traditional enemies and mobs, but sonic arrow is a boss killer.

edit: I've maxed both ranger and hunter. and fully grinded the strongest weapons for each class. my hunter killed just as fast and as easily as a ranger and was a little more fun to play. love the mobility of running and gunning they gave rangers now, but i love seeing those "BEEG NUMBARZ" just a little more.
    PSU ID - 30001139
    PSO2 JP Info:

Chalka / Parallax / Xavious Redd / Rydia / Cyrax / Paladin Crux

Sneak Shooter, Weak Shot, and Launchers. All day. They're likely to be nerfed'd.

A Ranger's part of a boss-fight is damage-dealing. Since they're far away, they can consistently deal damage with the drawbacks of the Rifle's low damage or the Launcher's slow fire/immobility. A Hunter's part of a boss-fight is tanking. They can taunt the enemy and distract it from the tissue-paper-armored Rangers and Forces. It's interesting to note that while a Hunter is great at soloing maps but not bosses, it's the opposite for Rangers who are great at soloing bosses but not maps. It's all a system established for classic fighter/mage/thief-style gaming.

The real issue here is that the Hunter quick-step is entirely useless for how often a Hunter will need to evade damage, compared to a Ranger's dodge-roll which will consistently be useful.

i can't help it, i have to trolll!!!+^_^+
    anyway, hunters versus rangers!! cold and hard truth+^_^+
    http://youtu.be/XCtuZ-fDL2E?t=2m34s
    Last edited by Chik'Tikka; Apr 30, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buri-chan View Post
    A Ranger's part of a boss-fight is damage-dealing. Since they're far away, they can consistently deal damage with the drawbacks of the Rifle's low damage or the Launcher's slow fire/immobility. A Hunter's part of a boss-fight is tanking. They can taunt the enemy and distract it from the tissue-paper-armored Rangers and Forces. It's interesting to note that while a Hunter is great at soloing maps but not bosses, it's the opposite for Rangers who are great at soloing bosses but not maps. It's all a system established for classic fighter/mage/thief-style gaming.

The real issue here is that the Hunter quick-step is entirely useless for how often a Hunter will need to evade damage, compared to a Ranger's dodge-roll which will consistently be useful.
    This is perhaps the optimal scenario but not the actual scenario. Perhaps Hunters are meant to be better at travelling the map; however, I generally find that if I'm playing with a Ranger, if I'm not leading the pack around then the Ranger is going to end up killing all of the mobs before I get a chance to touch them. Also their paper-thin defense makes no difference if they're always capable of keeping their distance.

If they want to balance things out Ranger mobility needs to be drastically reduced so that a Hunter's protection is actually necessary for them to survive a fight.

Guys, we are still playing the first 2 levels. Pretty sure when we play the other levels they will have resistance as well as buffing one another removing jellen or some BS.

So just wait.

Thanks to Vashyron =D!

Monster Hunter GS users always came to mind when using a hunter. Right down to using Mono/Di/Trimates. The dash does need a boost though. When comparing it to a forces "lol I can get away from everything" drift, its a joke.