Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Eastwood View Post
    Well I said sometimes! otherwise.. I think monsters could actually use bigger hitboxes... the only thing I've ever had trouble dodging was ragne's spinning red blades of death when you're in his line of sight.

I think it's stupid that you can avoid any attack as long as the hitbox passes through your invincibility frames. If Dark Ragne stomps his whole body on you, you wouldn't be able to move fast horizontally and avoid damage. I think there should be some hitboxes on the game that ignore your method of evasion depending on what it is.

For example, Catadorian sweeping attack should have a spot that hits you no matter what if you try to Step or DodgeRoll through it, which would force you to block or jump it if you were in range.

Another example would be that flying explosion ball that Vol Dragon does with lv3 fire armor. It should have a hitbox that is impossible to guard against, regardless if it's a Just Guard or regular. It should also have a long enough lifespan that doding into it still guarantees you get hit. This forces you to escape out of range of the explosion. Dodge only works if you're using it to escape the edges of the blast radius, which is completely fair.

This is why i like Ragne's bloodwave attack thinigie. You can block it, but it's going to deplete all your PP in one shot. You can dodge it, but you'll probably be hit during recovery frames. So the most effective option is to simply jump over it, or get out of range. It gives you less options when he uses the attack, and makes it more dangerous of a move.

Its no fun when i fight a boss and just sit there for an attack because i know i can just guard it safely.
    Last edited by Eggobandit; May 2, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Honestly the dodge/guard system for hunters seems like they are attempting to balance it in a way that both are necessary. Dodging is supposed to be an offensive form of damage avoidance while guarding is supposed to be defensive. I believe I have brought up before that Dodging can be performed off of any attack at any frame; however, guarding is not quite as lenient on its timing generally taking a few frames before it actually cancels a move.

If you have gained both the Step Attack and Just Guard skills, Step Attack will allow you to cancel your dodge into another attack. Just Guard will allow you to counter if you block a hit. This allows dodge to completely avoid damage while your DPS takes almost no hit at all. The downtime for the dodge itself is minuscule before you can cancel into an attack. The Just Guard sacrifices this speed for reliability in blocking. You don't have to worry about timing the guard exactly and can safely hold the button down to block all incoming attacks, but of course the longer you stand there guarding the more time you have wasted that you could be dealing damage. Of course the guard also takes a better defensive position against moves like Dark Ragne's discs which are active for far too long for the dodge to successfully avoid even if you were to dodge them on the first possible active frame.

Of course this is the way the system intends to work, whether they were successful at it and if they actually plan to mend the system is entirely up in the air.

I do find it silly how dodging is not dodging, but just giving you invincibility frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggobandit View Post
    This is why i like Ragne's bloodwave attack thinigie. You can block it, but it's going to deplete all your PP in one shot. You can dodge it, but you'll probably be hit during recovery frames. So the most effective option is to simply jump over it, or get out of range. It gives you less options when he uses the attack, and makes it more dangerous of a move.
    The problem with this is the Interrupt events. If he comes out of nowhere to stomp your crap in, say, Naberius, he won't be too terribly effective because HE'S large and the terrain is uneven enough for you to be able to sit under the bloodwave in most cases.

When he's at home, though, it's definitely more restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vashyron View Post
    I do find it silly how dodging is not dodging, but just giving you invincibility frames.
    This is the way all action games handle dodging, it's nothing new. Have you ever played Monster Hunter or Demon Souls?

Quote Originally Posted by Vashyron View Post
    I think its pretty impossible to create an effective dodge system without giving SOME invincibility frames, but the way the system is designed right now, it's way too easy to exploit them. Which is why i say they should probably remove the ability for invincibility frames to ignore hitbox collisions on some moves. Do the same with Guarding, and remove the ability for Just-Guard to negate all PP cost and damage.

This way, no one ability becomes the end-all of defensive moves, and the player has to learn when and where to dodge, block, jump, or just not put themselves in stupid situations.

PSO didn't have any dodge moves, but when Delsaber did a 3 hit combo or a Sinow Zoa went invincible and did that annoying bulldozer jump, you couldn't just mash block or evade and then keep attacking. You got your ass out of the way. Just because the game lets you block and dodge doesn't mean it should work for everything.
    Last edited by Eggobandit; May 2, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

Yes, I would find it better if certain moves like the Dragon landing on you could not be "dodged" by using the invincibility frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Taitu View Post
    This is the way all action games handle dodging, it's nothing new. Have you ever played Monster Hunter or Demon Souls?
    Ok it's nothing new, but doesn't stop me from thinking how silly it is when like a given example of Vol Dragon landing on your character can be "dodged" even though it still landed on you.
    Last edited by Vashyron; May 2, 2012 at 02:39 PM.

I think the most weird thing is that "dark electric shock field" from Dark Ragne not hitting if you're in mid air. Is that right? (you can check that on Sibladeko's video).
    I mean, I was always running away from him when he was charging it because it was pretty clear all the area around him (this includes beneath him) should be affected by the attack.

A lot of the bosse's collisions are weird too:
    - Most of the "stomps" are avoided if you jump.
    - The not safe semiring area from the Rockbear's punch seems to be a little bit off away from him. Like sometimes you dodge away from the fist but get damaged, and sometimes them forearm gets harmlessly through you.
    - The Catheherhedran (I spelled it right?) spin is avoided if you stand INSIDE his mid point.

Yeah and dodging exactly THROUGH something doesn't make sense unless they add some Kenshin's dodge style to the animation, like making u kinda invisible while the invincibility window is active. The mirage step seems like a ethereal form so going through enemies with that would make sense.
    >>>Youtube channel<<<

Primobol @ ship6 (Ken)

Dark Ragne's lightning most definitely can hit you if you're in midair. I died to it once because I assumed it couldn't.

And stop complaining about the invincibility frames on the Hunter dodge. They need it. Besides, the Perfect Blocking system is just as ridiculous as phasing through attacks with the dodge.

And how the heck did this get so off topic? :l

It got off topic when everything that needed to be said, has been said but Ill put it back.

Launcher needs a nerf and ranger's roll should lose it's invincibility.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd go!
    Will work for Scape Dolls and Super Star Atomizers.