Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Replacing PSO2 soundtrack

If I wanted to replace the music files, what you think should be the steps to follow and were should I start looking at?
    How do I open the .dat files? and from there?

I have no clue how to do this on PSO2 so I seek your help.
    I know it seems kinda soon but I got spare time and would like to get some skills on the matter. Too bad I'm clueless roflol halp
    Duck TalesNeifirst [ship 2]

Don't quote me on this, but I think it was found during data mining that the music files are encrypted. I don't know if it's going to be possible to replace the music files. Also, would or wouldn't this fall under the "altering the client" umbrella that is forbidden?

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post
    Also, would or wouldn't this fall under the "altering the client" umbrella that is forbidden?
    I most assuredly would.
    What little games don't bother with this usually have their music files out in the open, with no encryption or security of any kind, and you can just swap files.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuketsuki View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but I think it was found during data mining that the music files are encrypted.
    Boom, just quoted you.

Also yes, the music files are heavily encrypted. I did some digging of my own and managed to find what I'm 99% sure were music files, but I couldn't get them to play back no matter how hard I tried. From the digging I did, I was able to find out what zones will be in the game, but couldn't get those zones music to play, so I had to resort to other methods to get the music present in the closed beta uploaded to YouTube.

I'm sure once PSO2 is closer to release, the files won't be so encrypted, or they may very well still be encrypted at release, but at least I'll have access to the music in-game, so it'll be uploaded regardless. As for your question about replacing the soundtrack, well... That just doesn't seem possible right now.

I see, thanks!

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Why don't more games just have their music files out in the open? Especially long lasting online games? I wanna fight bosses to some SSH, and listen to some distant worlds in the field!

It does make sense in this game, though. There are multiple variations of the same song in the same zone, depending on what's going on. I still don't know exactly what goes on, but I wouldn't want to mess with that. Best case scenario, you'll ruin the song you're listening to when it transitions to a completely different song.

To be honest, even if I could, I probably wouldn't alter PSO2's soundtrack. It's very atmospheric as-is, and I think that only adds to the experience. The Phantasy Star series, to me, has been one of those series where you don't just play it, you experience it.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkmaster View Post
    The Phantasy Star series, to me, has been one of those series where you don't just play it, you experience it.
    I myself was going to be willing to replace the soundtrack with megadrive phantasy star's.
    Would fit my experience very well, especially when fighting in the field and switching to emergency code.

Anyway I didn't like the soundtrack at all after playing cbt, so I thought I should give this a try since turning music off and opening your music folder isn't as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat666 View Post
    I myself was going to be willing to replace the soundtrack with megadrive phantasy star's.
    Would fit my experience very well, especially when fighting in the field and switching to emergency code.

Anyway I didn't like the soundtrack at all after playing cbt, so I thought I should give this a try since turning music off and opening your music folder isn't as good.
    Emergency! Code: Duel!

Something about that seems oddly amazing.

Last edited by Porkmaster; May 2, 2012 at 01:02 PM.

To be exact, it's multitude of split CRI HCA files inside a CPK container.

...Good luck with that.