Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

my opninion is that sega should take their time before going international. it seems like the character creator and overall artstyle of the game are lacking and very incomplete. the horrible anime artstyle is probably due to their japanese nature. Luckily it appears that SEGA is trying to appeal the global market by adjusting it for global tastes, which will happen eventually.

Um.

I'll assume, for the OP's benefit, that he/she's not a native English speaker.

That being said, my opinion is unchanged - I don't care about an international release at this point. The latency is actually very good considering the physical distance between me and the server, we all congregate in one or two blocks on the same ship anyways, and the unofficial English patch makes it unnecessary to cross the language barrier (though it's still a good idea to do so, of course). Oh, and no IP blocking.

It would still be nice to have a western server, of course... but I'm not sure I'll even bother playing on it.

It would probably be better if Sega licensed the international servers to a third party like NCSoft or Aeria, because they'd actually be bound by contract to deliver timely updates or get taken to court. Not that Sega would screw themselves in such a way.

I was half expecting them to allow fanmade translation packs too. Cheap (free) and effective way to cater to hardcore English-speaking fans.

I brought the idea of fan translations on the official beta forum. I pretty much got scoffed at by the JP posters. JP companies like to have control of their own content. I really doubt that they're going to reach out into the community.

Honestly I only see two options; either 1) they make the JP servers open to everyone and allow people to select the language of the client. or 2) They continue their previous ways of providing a half ass service to everyone who isn't japanese and everyone ends on up on the Japanese server anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Selphia View Post
    It would probably be better if Sega licensed the international servers to a third party like NCSoft or Aeria, because they'd actually be bound by contract to deliver timely updates or get taken to court. Not that Sega would screw themselves in such a way.

I was half expecting them to allow fanmade translation packs too. Cheap (free) and effective way to cater to hardcore English-speaking fans.
    That, and prepaid options would be more widely available with any of htose. I don't foresee it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    Honestly I only see two options; either 1) they make the JP servers open to everyone and allow people to select the language of the client. or 2) They continue their previous ways of providing a half ass service to everyone who isn't japanese and everyone ends on up on the Japanese server anyways.
    That's pretty much how I see it too. No reason NOT to "import" this time around given how most of the obstacles in the past aren't really there. Of course, they could decide to pull a Capcom and IP block.

Quote Originally Posted by Selphia View Post
    Actually this might not be such a bad thing as long it doesn't devolve into a blatantly "pay-to-win" atmosphere. However I don't see them wanting to cede that much intellectual control though. I just see it as "great games, shitty company" which is how it's been with them all these years.
    Last edited by Zeota; May 14, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Zeota - Ship 2 (JP)
    http://twitch.tv/zeomantic

Quote Originally Posted by Kion View Post
    I brought the idea of fan translations on the official beta forum. I pretty much got scoffed at by the JP posters. JP companies like to have control of their own content. I really doubt that they're going to reach out into the community.
    So that was you, eh? I remember that thread. You're right though. There's no way Sega would release any of their IP to the community to translate or do anything else with.

Will post pics and copy to main release thread when I get home(and get some sleep)
    Spoke to a SoA employee who remains as "Anon" for now.
    Good news
    Says SoA is working on PSO2 translations
    Bad news
    I asked about a beta of some sort, he responded in a way that made it seem as if SoA/E will run their own servers seperate of Japan, he also didn't seem too sure about anything PSO2 related other than that, he also confirmed a bunch of sonic stuff so at E3 we ought to get a bunch of good news(and see if it was all true or not)
    PSO2 Karai

Quote Originally Posted by Konflyk View Post
    I asked about a beta of some sort, he responded in a way that made it seem as if SoA/E will run their own servers seperate of Japan, he also didn't seem too sure about anything PSO2 related other than that, he also confirmed a bunch of sonic stuff so at E3 we ought to get a bunch of good news(and see if it was all true or not)
    If there's any validity to this, all I can say is "have fun getting crapped on again, peasants!"
    Zeota - Ship 2 (JP)
    http://twitch.tv/zeomantic

separate servers again? I really hope that is not true, you would think that by now, Sega would have learned.....