Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Kagajibaris are Dezorians Omega-z's Avatar

After playing both the Alpha 2 and Closed BETA. I would rank it this way.

Graphic's - PSO2 / PSO > PSU - The reason for this is that PSO had just a tad more detail to the back round element's. But PSO2 has more environmental condition's and more interacting Object's. Now there indeed better then PSU.

Mapping - PSO2 > PSO > PSU - The reason why that 2's better is that the Map's will change and are more interesting. But PSO had shorter block's and were more Maze like still had the same problem of PSU. PSU had a problem of Map's being to Familiarized and gotten boring the saving Grace for PSO in this was the detail's and sound for the level was better.

Sound - PSO / PSO2 > PSU - The Reason on this is that the sound in PSO where more focused on the area's themselves and wheren't just placed. 2's Sound are great but are just tad lacking at time's and 1 of them can be annoy at time's, Over all very close. PSU's just seem's to be just slapped on and not really thought out properly.

Combat - PSO2 > PSU > PSO - The reason 2's is the best is the freedom of movement and Choice you get with the flow of battle is superior to PSU. PSU had flow and added in a new level of play style in a Phantasy Star game with PA skill's. PSO is very much lacking in this department and not for it's time period, since there are games back then that had what PSO2 has. But Sega bumbled on this and added a basic linear combat system with a 1,2,3 fighting option, unique yes better no.

Control's - PSO2 > PSU > PSO - The control's are the best on 2's with the flow and option's you can get is worthy of a Action game. PSU had some but was still Lacking. PSO was very rigidity.

Navigation - PSO > PSU > PSO2 - This is one of the best thing's that PSO had was great, Had a easy to use menu system that took you out out of battle but still you had a screen if you needed to see what was going on at the same time. PSU had a more simplified version of this and had you see more of what was going on around you but the screens would get in the way of view and took awhile to scroll through at times. PSO2 is in a working state and could change but the Menu's are to broken up and out of place and very easy to get lost in If you didn't know what you are doing. You can't do action and menu scroll at the same time not as easy as you could with the other two. This could be because of the complexity of the game at the moment.

Complexity - PSO2 > PSO > PSU - 2 Has a High level of Complex stat arrangement and the uniqueness with it's Items,Weapons,Armor, Character, Enemy systems...etc. PSO Has this with the enemies, and the uniqueness of weapon's and item's. PSU didn't have this and was reduced to just a simple stat system.

Difficulty - PSO > PSO2 > PSU - At the moment this is how it is and can change during the BETA, either way both are better then PSU.

Story - PSO > PSO2 / PSU - At the moment there's not much of the story in PSO2 so to say it's better then PSU is currently unclear. But PSO's Ep. 1 and 2 story is the main focal point on so much of it's Nostalgic value that bring's that atmosphere which can be hard to surpass. The problem is that it can't be replicated in it's timeline and the Story has to be different.

Chat - PSO2 / PSU > PSO - PSO2 has a very good Symbol chat the normal chat is fine but seem a little complex to use. PSU's normal chat was very easy to use. PSO had a basic symbol chat that was more useful then it's normal chat.

This is how it seems to me, Overall PSO2 = 6 > PSO = 4. So it's very close but PSO2 is better at the moment and could get better.
    Last edited by Omega-z; May 25, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizz3112 View Post
    Really? How ironic that the original PSO was the baseline Monster Hunter is based on...
    An endless cycle of copying each other.

And in this case, I do not mind.

Gate open!
    A place so far away yet so close at hand...

Hey OP

from one PSO fanboy to another, it's a very very different game. It's not going to make you feel the same way that PSO did but it's a high quality experience (thus far) regardless. The art direction isn't quite on par with PSO's and the story seems to be a complete stinker (good god those npcs are annoying) but the combat is satisfying and its a huge step up from PSU. It's definitely worth a try and a lot is resting on what ST has in store for us content wise come the full release.

Sega will never make a better game than Phantasy Star Online, and by that I'm not saying that PSO2 is bad. I was really suprised how good it is, compared the the disappointment in PSU.

Since the future is here with upgraded game physics and graphics etc we won't see anything like PSO anymore.
    Some people think PSO sucks because of poor graphics, which I won't agree on. PSO has it's own special charm that I fell in love with on the release on dreamcast year 2001.
    Hate when people think good graphics = good game, which isn't true at all.

When they acomplished to release a game with only 4 stages and keep it alive for so long, it's just simply amazing in my eyes.

The best part of PSO2 is that it gives me this nostalgic feeling while playing it. Which I didn't experience in PSU because it was so off the chart compared to the original game.

I remember when I first saw this trailer, so amazing. Giving me the chills now each time I see it!

"And the world of Phantasy Star Online lasts for eternity"

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Don't listen to them! They're just PSO fans!

Listen to the Phantasy Star In General fans!

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Vulcan Taint Pincher moorebounce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Hunter View Post
    Is it better than Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II? I ask this because even though I didn't play Universe I could tell it was a lot different so I had less interest in regards to that game. Now with PSO2 SEGA seems to have gone back to PSO basics adding some PSU elements to it! The system sure looks more familiar and the overall graphics are amazing! Also, PSO2 is more open when it comes to maps, movement and combos but is it really better than the old ones? What do you think?
    The thing that makes PSO2 better than all it's predecessors is character "MOVEMENT". You are playing in third person but with FPS control (which is from PSU). At this point I would've been happy with just being able to jump but in PSO2 you can attack or dodge enemy attacks while jumping.

The combo system is from PSU where you have a regular attack and Photon Art attack but with more PSO visual indicators to help with the timing. The timing of your combo changes a lot with the type of weapon you're using. The auto-targeting is from PSO but you can lock on to targets all while still being able to MOVE depending on what type of weapon you're using. You can juggle enemies now too. Changing weapons and sub-pallettes are from PSU.

In short my answer is YES its better. Sonic Team took all the good from PSO, PSU and the portable games and put them in one game.
    PSO2 JP Ship 2 Jazmin - HUcaseal - Team: Paranoia-Gaming
    PSO2 NA Ship 3 Orro Munroe HUcaseal - Team: Dark Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by foreignreign View Post
    I see PSO2 as a Monster Hunter. In space. With more RPG elements.

That's like the best thing.
    My thoughts exactly.

I see PSO2 as a Monster Hunter. In space. With more RPG elements.

That's like the best thing.
    Makes sense considering Monster Hunter was originally based on PSO. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Blizz3112 View Post
    Really? How ironic that the original PSO was the baseline Monster Hunter is based on...
    except PSO wasn't based on Monster Hunter because Monster Hunter was made in 2004 which would make it pretty hard to base PSO on it...

But personally... I want an MMO like .hack\\GU's the World R2 ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by RocSage View Post
    except PSO wasn't based on Monster Hunter because Monster Hunter was made in 2004 which would make it pretty hard to base PSO on it...

But personally... I want an MMO like .hack\\GU's the World R2 ^.^
    He said that Monster hunter is based on PSO... o.o