Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Real reason/function behind Ship locked characters?

While we [PSO-World] play on Ship 02. I heard members of Gamefaqs played on Ship 04, Reddit members played in Ship 06 and so on

This community is large but i still feel some sort of separation between the others lol.

Also in CBT they mentioned we moved to another server after they extended it (giving us lv10 instantly) (i feel this will be a recurring thing in the game or something similar..)

Does ship locking characters just make things organized client side or could there be more to it?

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Nobody was giving us level 10 instantly for joining ship 6... e_e

They unlocked ship 6 for stress testing and rewarded people that played on the ship and GOT to level 10. Obviously as incentive to get as many people as possible to crowd ship 6. And it seems like they made it so that you could invite friends into the beta (including EVERYONE that signed up getting in anyway) SPECIFICALLY for stress testing.

I'm pretty sure right now that's all they care about. Making sure their server doesn't get diarrhea from too many people playing on it. I think most games only have multiple ships, especially asian online games that have like 20 servers. Because a lot of people fill up all of that space in general.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

...and why, oh why, would we want to play with the GameFAQs or Reddit communities?

I'm glad they'll be separated from us.

What do you mean, ship locked characters?

Don't tell me whatever ship you choose you're stuck on and the community will be separated? There's simply no way...

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Keg View Post
    What do you mean, ship locked characters?

Don't tell me whatever ship you choose you're stuck on and the community will be separated? There's simply no way...
    You make a character on a Ship, it stays on that Ship only. Same with any other character on any other Ship.

I made Nassandra and Andromeda on Ship 2 during the Closed Beta. They stayed there. Weren't available on any other Ship I accessed. I'd have had to have remade them on, say, Ship 5 if I wanted to "move" there (until SEGA incorporates a server transfer feature, which i think they are).
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; May 25, 2012 at 11:23 PM.

So it's pretty much like almost every other MMO when it comes to servers. Pick a server, create a character on it, and you're stuck with playing on that server with that character.

I would've liked if you can always choose your own server, though, as it would provide some level of traffic control.

I hate the rain...only because of the CURSED SNAILS THAT I ALWAYS SEEM TO STEP ON.

Quote Originally Posted by KunoMochi View Post
    So it's pretty much like almost every other MMO when it comes to servers. Pick a server, create a character on it, and you're stuck with playing on that server with that character.

I would've liked if you can always choose your own server, though, as it would provide some level of traffic control.
    Nah, I think keeping some of the communities separate in any MMO is a smart move.
    I'm with Olaf on this one, PSO-World's community is a little different from GameFAQ'ers and Redditors.
    They can stick to their community and we can stick to ours.
    It really shouldn't affect the game experience, as you can pick the kind of community you want to stick with.

Each Ship gets its own server hardware, is my guess.

Hence ship-locked characters.

And my guess for why they're reluctant about ship transfers is probably because for whatever reason they didn't think to build that into the game engine/network layer, so they'll probably have to specifically add that kind of functionality to the game if they want to go ahead with it. Which would be annoying at this stage of the game since they're mostly done game feature development and want to just work on content/server maintenance.

There was talk of being able to change ships at the cost of AC. Haven't heard anything on that since they first mentioned it though.

I'm new to this community, but i think i like this community the best (out of Phantasy Star oriented communities)+^_^+ and yeah, i only played on ship 6 (i got an invite from a kind person here on PSOW) and only got 10ish hours in, and it was one of the best times I've had since i first discovered MMOs+^_^+ ima totally go to ship 2 and play with all of you+^_^+ as for why characters are server locked, it's to keep drives on multiple servers from filling up with unused info and probably to help keep fragmentation and other account related maintenance down, I'm sure down the line they'll let us port our info from one server to another, but probably for a fee+^_^+
    Last edited by Chik'Tikka; May 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM.