Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder what floaters do..

Those floaters..
    The ones that go through a whole mmo without joining a guild, or posting on the forums, or are apart of any group in the mmo.
    Those that don't make any friends in the mmo, or socialize, etc. Those who are not always on the loop of things when a crazy patch rolls in.

So I always wondered how they could enjoy an mmo like that.
    We will have some japanese floaters joining our ship surely.
    And some non-japanese floaters joining japanese ships..

I know it's an odd inquiry but, what do floaters do exactly? Do you know any? Are floaters real people or just AI in disguise? Discuss.
    Last edited by Coatl; Jun 9, 2012 at 02:36 PM.

They are the spirits of past MMO players that have lost their way and are doomed to wander aimlessly in the game forever alone.

I hate the rain...only because of the CURSED SNAILS THAT I ALWAYS SEEM TO STEP ON.

I used to live by a canal in the ghetto and would see at least one floater a week.

Just enjoy the game I guess, no reason you can't play an MMO in the same way you play a single player game. I never made friends or joined guilds in PSOGC and would just group with people if it was convenient, I still enjoyed it because the game was just fun to play. Feel I'll probably do the same in PSO2, bar looking at forums, partly because I find the team systems and such on PS games awkward.

As a long time fan of Games and an enourmous fan of online games since my tiny mind was blown by PSO on the DC I think I could shed a BIT of light on lurkers such as these. Of course every gamer is different but I can say from personal experience that if your job or simply your personality lends itself to long absences (especially if when you DO play you play a LOT) it can generate quite a bit of friction between you and any guild you happen to join.
    You may log out and not play for a few weeks, not thinking anything of it, but then when you come back expecting to greet your guild and do some runs and you were not only booted from said guild, but they don't want to talk to you even.
    Hence, those that wish to enjoy a fully fleshed online world and maybe meet some people and play with them, but are afraid of commitment because their casual nature leads people to get angry with them, pretty much just lurk because though they love the game and playing with others, but don't want the pressure or the drama, or they just don't feel like they're accepted by the community at large.

Or what Kuno said lol, that's way cooler lol
    Last edited by Siatome; Jun 9, 2012 at 02:52 PM.

@Negativenine
    But it's an MMO! You have so many people around you I could never imagine someone barring themselves from everyone or never reaching out. I know mmos could be enjoyed like any single player game, but to me it just feels like you're taking missing out on so much.

@r00tabaga
    That's coarse. ='x

@Siatome
    Aw, that's pretty sad. It's refreshing to see active discussions take place in the lobby instead of seeing drones walk around aimlessly or just curse at each other. I know not everyone can be social in real life due to some disorders which make it difficult, or just people who are introverted not being good socially, but in mmos I feel it could be different. I never thought of it from that perspective though, and I do find it really sad.
    Last edited by Coatl; Jun 9, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

They are... Single-Player gamers lost in a Multi-Player game. they just need that wake up call of a boss that wrecks them because they are soloing and only after that will they reach out to other players for assistance.

I actually know someone who's played an MMORPG for a month without really interacting with anyone else because he thought they were NPCs with everything they do being scripted...

Quote Originally Posted by Gardios View Post
    I actually know someone who's played an MMORPG for a month without really interacting with anyone else because he thought they were NPCs with everything they do being scripted...
    Must have played .hack games too much before moving on to the MMORPG... >.>

I hate the rain...only because of the CURSED SNAILS THAT I ALWAYS SEEM TO STEP ON.

That would be my dad. Ever since PSOBB he's played almost exclusively solo and will continue to do so until he stops playing MMOs (not any time soon). Don't know why this is, he just doesn't like playing with other people or interacting.