Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bosses

Default Bosses

To me, bosses are usually some of the most fun things in videogames. I love a challenging fight. In PSO and PSU, most of the time if you had even a decent team, the bosses would die extremely fast. Some of them have a few cheap attacks that could be annoying, but it was never really difficult. So how are PSO2's bosses so far? On a scale of 1-10, how difficult are the fights in a team/solo? Are they enjoyable? Or is it "Everybody go spam their best attacks for 30 seconds till it dies"?
    Quote Originally Posted by loukaras View Post
    PSO-World is a game?

The bosses are epic beyond belief. Especially the first time you fight them. They take a while to go down, unless you're overleveled and/or overgeared.

Also, the fact that you can get bosses that randomly pop out of nowhere in the middle of a mission can make it even more crazy, since then you'll have more than one epic battle on your hands in the same stretch of mission.

They're thoroughly enjoyable. I can't wait to see what Dark Falz, or whatever end-game boss, is like.

EDIT: I'll through this in here for good measure. They're quite a bit more impressive in real-time, though.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    The bosses are epic beyond belief. Especially the first time you fight them. They take a while to go down, unless you're overleveled and/or overgeared.

Also, the fact that you can get bosses that randomly pop out of nowhere in the middle of a mission can make it even more crazy, since then you'll have more than one epic battle on your hands in the same stretch of mission.

They're thoroughly enjoyable. I can't wait to see what Dark Falz, or whatever end-game boss, is like.

EDIT: I'll through this in here for good measure. They're quite a bit more impressive in real-time, though.

Spoiler!
    Well put. The bosses are def harder solo wise and even worse when you run into two at the same time. It takes more skill even if ur over leveled. At least what we have gotten so far. You gotta see for yourself
    who am i....? *tosses card to* find out.

Sounds good so far, 2 bosses at once sounds like a blast. Hopefully SEGA can scale them well though. It seems like in most games, as players get to higher levels, they get access to overpowered equipment that is so obnoxiously strong that bosses are no longer threats, no matter what level they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by loukaras View Post
    PSO-World is a game?

O ik what you mean. Its hard to say for pso2 with the limitations and all but i see what you me. Heres to hopeing that dosnt become the case.
    who am i....? *tosses card to* find out.

The boss fights are good. I think the reduction of party sizes from 6 to 4 will really help avoid speedy deaths.

I love how you can have multiple, different bosses randomly spawn and fight eachother in multi-party areas. Makes for a good amount of epicness.

Caelis - HUbeaseal
    Kimil - RAnewm
    Endrea - FOcaseal

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Spoiler!
    You should still give me your computer btw.. Q ~ Q

Anyway yea the bosses are challenging for the most part. They really take pso2's new gameplay to the limit. I remember fighting the "Spider" boss in the city area..
    Spoiler!

and he climbed on the freakin walls to get around! There is no limit to where some of these bosses go.

And unlike Pso, after you defeat a boss, even if you killed him a thousand times already..
    Spoiler!
    Its still a rewarding feeling

In the mmo genre of games, i've never had such insane boss battles before, let alone such entertaining gameplay. Your not just clicking on an enemy and spamming hotkeys, your actively fighting the entire time.

EDIT: here is an example of 2 bosses fighting each other as stated a few posts above
    this is a video from a member of this site none the less.. i just forget who it is xD

Though one thing im worried about is the fact that as a ranger you can kill alot of bosses from afar without ever taking any damage, just kite around them the entire time. When I was a hunter bosses were alot harder for me due to the fact that I as a hunter you have to be in close range 24/7
    Last edited by DayDreamer; Jun 10, 2012 at 03:35 AM.

The bosses are pretty fun, but the game never felt challenging enough for me. All of the boss attacks are telegraphed so it's easy to just dash through them, and a lot of them have unusual hitboxes (body slams only hit the ground, so you can jump through them to dodge, etc.).

Hopefully Very Hard will fix this? I mean, overall they have the aesthetic down pat.

Quote Originally Posted by SStrikerR View Post
    Sounds good so far, 2 bosses at once sounds like a blast. Hopefully SEGA can scale them well though. It seems like in most games, as players get to higher levels, they get access to overpowered equipment that is so obnoxiously strong that bosses are no longer threats, no matter what level they are.

If you are referring to high-level players come back to slaughter the old boss very easily. Then of course, it gonna happen again. This is RPG.
    Says, the boss is made for level 10 players to fight. If you are level 100. How couldn't it become easy?

Rockbear was hard at level 4, but it was joke on level 14. so... yes, you can't avoid that in RPG game where you can improve status accordingly to level and gear. Unless you are going for game such as Monster Hunter whereas level is not exist. They only have hunter rank which not increase status at all.

There are two way to go around about this :

A. Make level/ status become absolutely useless, so that boss can always be challenge. But I doubt they would do it. It is not how RPG game work.

B. Make boss in different level version. just like what it is going to happen in this game too. If your level is too high for normal mode, then you go play it on hard mode instead. and there could be very hard mode and ultimate mode again.

However, in the end, Method B wouldn't completely fix the weak boss issue, because high level players could always come back to play easy mode to farm any low rank items they missed. And this method also can't fill the issue of level gap too. If Dragon is lv 10 on normal mode and level 40 on hard mode. then people level between 20-30 will have to spam the easy lv-10 dragon.
    Last edited by Arika; Jun 10, 2012 at 04:22 AM.

"ARIKAー戦隊, 参上!!" (click it!)
    Arika     @US server | Arika-chan @JP server

Right now I think the PSU bosses are poorly designed...Hunters are pretty much forced to switch to Gunslash with bosses which is lame in my opinion, but then that might change as people get better and new ways to battle the bosses are discovered. I remember PSO bosses were always hard to defeat the first time and for a while until you figured out how to do it and then it became pretty much a cake walk.