Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819

Quote Originally Posted by xBladeM6x View Post
    Also, grinds + weapons % doesn't make a big difference at all. It's hilarious how little any of it matters, even when combined.
    That's an odd thing to say when I just grinded my Photon Launcher from +0 to +7 and my damage output in Hard nearly doubled.

I've read the entire thread and agree on some points in regards to the comparisons made between PSO2 and the original. First of all, PSO2 is a refinement of portable series, which was a refinement of PSU. However, PSO2 does enough different to stand out from those game, which is probably due to the possibilities capable of being achieved on the PC hardware. Thus, it brings us to the point that one user made that the original game was more 'stationary', where attacks were slower paced, where people's playstyle adapted to this pace. I'm not sure if this is positive or negative, it really depends on your outlook, but there are games that still use remnants of PSO's original playstyle (primarily Monster Hunter). I think the primary reason why PSO2 plays like it does is because Sega deliberately wants to modernize and push the limits of what the current hardwares are capable of (which why we probably see large expanses of environments and no doors).

Second, I agree that the music isn't exactly in vein with PSO. PSO did in indeed have a more foreboding atmosphere, and it helped accentuate the game's rather minimal and lackluster verbal story telling. However, if you compare PSO1 and 2 side by side, the game seems slightly more visually upbeat, and the music suits PSO2's upbeat presentation. Personally, I'm very nostalgic for the original game's soundtrack, which makes it hard for me to currently give PSO2's soundtrack a fair shake. However, the soundtrack isn't bad, and there is a chance the soundtrack will eventually sink in for me and many other people.

Third point, I agree that the rockbears are a poor excuse for a boss. They should have been regular enemies with reduced HP, in line with what hildebears were for PSO. However, Vol Dragon was a pretty awesome boss. Scratch that, the entire caves stage and enemies is awesome. I really couldn't stand going through the monotonous caves in PSO, but the new caves is interesting in so many levels. Aside from that, the city stage is pretty neat too, despite there being no unique enemies there (aside from the boss). I'll give that the forest stage is pretty generic, and the desert could have been designed better or more interestingly. But compared to PSO, PSO2 is a much better game environmentally, and enemies are as interesting as the ones from PSO. The only argument I'd agree on is to have 'real' bosses for each of these stages, rather than having two or three of what seem like mid-bosses.

Don't get me wrong, I love PSO. I played it on the Dreamcast and Gamecube, and sink thousands of hours, so the game has left a special mark on my childhood and teenage years. However, PSO2 is objectively a better game so far. And despite it not being precisely faithful to PSO1, but I think this is a step in the right direction from the portable series, a LARGE step in the right direction from PSU. Just give the game time, and I'm sure we'll all grow to have fond memories of PSO2.

PSO2 -- MidiPour Ship 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclon View Post
    Indeed you do. The Rockbear is a sub-boss, just like the ones you would fight in the beach/jungle/mountain areas; his lack of a theme song is proof of that. And you can fight two or three at the same time, which you can't do on a real boss.

As of now, neither the forest nor the desert have a proper boss. And the city has no mid-boss. Will this change? I don't know.
    But go ahead and compare PSO's Dragon to PSO2's Vol Dragon, and tell me again that PSO does it better.

PSO2 really IS designed as a multiplayer game for the most part, while PSO was designed as both solo and multiplayer, but arguably didn't handle multiplayer as well.
    I don't know if I really like it better that way, but the game is so good and addictive right now that I have my hands full with awesomeness, so I don't really care.
    PSO2's Dragon is indeed better than PSO's so they were able to 1up themselves on a single boss...yay? What I was trying to get at though is how original PSO's bosses were (Of course a Dragon isn't original at all, but him being able to fall on you and potentially kill you after you beat him was quite surprising. I still remember my "WTF?" momment when I thought I beat him for the 1st time.)

The Dark Ragine or whatever it's called only felt like a boss to me the 1st time I saw it appear randomly in the Free Forest. After that it just feels like an HP sponge with easily avoidable attacks. :/

However I do agree with you that PSO2 is a hell of a lot of fun and I do greatly enjoy playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    Third point, I agree that the rockbears are a poor excuse for a boss. They should have been regular enemies with reduced HP, in line with what hildebears were for PSO. However, Vol Dragon was a pretty awesome boss. Scratch that, the entire caves stage and enemies is awesome. I really couldn't stand going through the monotonous caves in PSO, but the new caves is interesting in so many levels. Aside from that, the city stage is pretty neat too, despite there being no unique enemies there (aside from the boss). I'll give that the forest stage is pretty generic, and the desert could have been designed better or more interestingly. But compared to PSO, PSO2 is a much better game environmentally, and enemies are as interesting as the ones from PSO. The only argument I'd agree on is to have 'real' bosses for each of these stages, rather than having two or three of what seem like mid-bosses.

Don't get me wrong, I love PSO. I played it on the Dreamcast and Gamecube, and sink thousands of hours, so the game has left a special mark on my childhood and teenage years. However, PSO2 is objectively a better game so far. And despite it not being precisely faithful to PSO1, but I think this is a step in the right direction from the portable series, a LARGE step in the right direction from PSU. Just give the game time, and I'm sure we'll all grow to have fond memories of PSO2.
    +10
    Well said chap, well said.
    She is style
    She is grace
    But most importantly, she'll break your face <3

I would really like a way to just play the game, you know, without the insurmountable amount of hoops you have to jump, matter boards, client requests, free missions and so on, I would like to just open a game, get down to the forest and a couple of hours later see the ending, ya know, how PSO played for years, yeah you eventually get to a place where you can choose the missions and play like that, but it just takes forever, it drags on and on and on...

I like the story of this game, but the option to just jump on the game and play is greatly missed, at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdown View Post
    I would really like a way to just play the game, you know, without the insurmountable amount of hoops you have to jump, matter boards, client requests, free missions and so on, I would like to just open a game, get down to the forest and a couple of hours later see the ending, ya know, how PSO played for years, yeah you eventually get to a place where you can choose the missions and play like that, but it just takes forever, it drags on and on and on...

I like the story of this game, but the option to just jump on the game and play is greatly missed, at least for me.
    Man, I hear that. Free field should be unlocked straight away, just like the original. I like what they're trying to do, and that it's halfway between PSO and PSU, but I just don't think that it works.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackMage View Post
    PSO2's Dragon is indeed better than PSO's so they were able to 1up themselves on a single boss...yay? What I was trying to get at though is how original PSO's bosses were (Of course a Dragon isn't original at all, but him being able to fall on you and potentially kill you after you beat him was quite surprising. I still remember my "WTF?" momment when I thought I beat him for the 1st time.)
    Vol Dragon actually does that too! I found that quite funny, even though it's even easier to dodge now that we can move so fast, and jump, and all.
    And the tundra will have two bosses, so there's a good chance one is sub and the other main; that makes three bosses plus four sub bosses against PSO's four main. While nothing we're getting seems to capture the epicness of the last three PSO bosses, I still think it's not so bad.

The Dark Ragine or whatever it's called only felt like a boss to me the 1st time I saw it appear randomly in the Free Forest. After that it just feels like an HP sponge with easily avoidable attacks. :/
    Spoiler!