Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My brother lives in Cambridge. I'll have to ask him what he thinks about this (though I can probably guess.)

I'd be surprised if this passes. One thing I'm curious about is how specific the 'sugar-sweetened' ban is, since most sodas use high-fructose corn syrup instead of cane sugar and diet sodas use artificial sweeteners.

I imagine they're trying to include high-fructose corn syrup (since I think I've heard people refer to it as 'corn sugar'), but I wonder if the intended bill excludes diet sodas.

If soda co.s had some lobbyists Im sure they're in fullswing to dismiss the bill.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    My brother lives in Cambridge. I'll have to ask him what he thinks about this (though I can probably guess.)

I'd be surprised if this passes. One thing I'm curious about is how specific the 'sugar-sweetened' ban is, since most sodas use high-fructose corn syrup instead of cane sugar and diet sodas use artificial sweeteners.

I imagine they're trying to include high-fructose corn syrup (since I think I've heard people refer to it as 'corn sugar'), but I wonder if the intended bill excludes diet sodas.
    That's what is so bad about the proposal. The wording is literally 'sugar-sweetened beverages' which could include pretty much anything that isn't water. And, yeah, diet sodas don't have sugar so they, by the wording, would be exempt. I don't know enough about the city workings of Cambridge to form an accurate estimation of the survivability of the proposal, but based on what I know of the city it doesn't suprise me that the proposal has been made.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post

They'd probably hit hot chocolate too, because almost all chocolate products use sugar to offset the bitterness of the chocolate...
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Well, I don't live in NYC, so whatever. But, even if they did ban sugary drinks around these parts, that would be okay. I only ever order water in restaurants anyway (you don't fill up fast when you drink water, and can eat more).
    Quote Originally Posted by blace View Post
    That would be fine with me, sweetened beverages makes things taste off anyway, although I don't live anywhere close to New York.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorShanks View Post
    Meh, I don't care, even if I WAS living there. I mean, sure it tastes good and stuff, but I haven't drank a sugary beverage in months, and I'm proud of myself for doing so. Last time I checked, those drinks provide no nutritional value whatsoever and I therefore approve of this change, especially so if it spreads to other areas.

"I'll just have Water, please."

Jesus Christ.

"It doesn't directly have an impact on me, so I don't care!"

You have to realise that not only is this wrong for them to do, but it also sets a very dangerous precedent for other such laws in the future. The government has no business doing this.

Even though this sort of thing may not affect you right now, it very well may do so down the road if these kinds of laws become a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_bob View Post
    Even though this sort of thing may not affect you right now, it very well may do so down the road if these kinds of laws become a trend.
    Yes, woe is us if they keep putting a limit on unhealthy food and drink.

If it was something that was good for people, then I'd be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Yes, woe is us if they keep putting a limit on unhealthy food and drink.
    Indeed. A government getting to decided what people do with their bodies is always a good thing.

I think the point he was trying to make is that the government has, is trying to, and will continue trying to encroach upon human rights that were set aside from the very first declarations, like with SOPA and PIPA and all that. It doesn't matter whether it's municipal, provincial, or federal.

But yeah, Sugary drinks needed a punt in the butt anyways. Half the reason for obesity now is probably going to be just people stress-eating anyways, and caffienne itelf doesn't really help that! Good game.
    Last edited by Outrider; Jun 20, 2012 at 03:09 PM.

i have a co-worker here that drinks a liter of coke a day; that's just nuts.
    if this law comes over here in Southern Cali, he'll probably cant live without
    his sweet drinks. also, he lost about 5 of his teeths...probably gotten too much
    cavities from drinking too much coke. that's not going to stop him though as he
    still continues drinking a liter a day regardless.

In case no one read the article....

Quote Originally Posted by Article that nobody read
    ORDERED: That the City Manager be and hereby is requested to refer the matter of a ban on soda and sugar-sweetened beverages in restaurants to the Cambridge Public Health Department for a recommendation.
    This is only for restaurants, so you can still get all the stuff you want at any store.