Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I find them to be kinda fun. Especially when you barely clear them within the time limit, it adds some excitement to the quest.

You know at first I didn't like it. But once I started doing the caves speed runs I actually started finding them fun. It's a good challenge, it's a change from the whole constant grind, we get objectives to do that requires effort.

It'd be more bearable if most of the missions didn't depend on luck.

More often than not, you're at the mercy of the RNG and its spawn rates. Certain Emergency Codes can make things even more difficult and add to the frustration- Avoid and Elimination come to mind. It would be bearable if I could run away (like Attack or Protect), but Elimination locks you in, and Avoid chases you through the map.

It's an archaic way to restrict progression, and it gets frustrating after a while.

The speedruns should be optional, or at least, not so heavily based in unlocking new stuff.

Spending 5+ hours in the forest, fighting the same mobs, gets a little annoying after a while.
    "Pony pony should pony pony." -Pony

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I like them. It forces low skilled players to try and try again until they have the skill to progress. And it allows high skill players to progress faster into missions more their skill level. This way, you know that whoever is in your team in a high difficulty area at least has the skill to do what you've already done, and you're less likely to have to carry other people. And conversely, if you don't have the skill to get through it, at least you're in an area that's more your skill level so you aren't frustrated by the difficulty.

I don't mind the client missions, either. Usually, I see collection missions as ways to force you into an area doing a boring chore. But in this case, you're going to be grinding through those areas anyway, so why not pick up another objective? And if you don't have anywhere in particular you want to play, this gives you a bit of focus.

I will admit, though. I kind of dislike that Dagan Elimination quest. Wandering around a map aimlessly while hoping you run into a particular enemy isn't very fun. Though I just don't like multi-party areas in general. I like exploring every nook and cranny, and there's no reason to do anything but skip through a multi party area unless there's a code to do. Plus, getting your team to do what you want them to do can get frustrating. I once had my team wandering a caves open area for half an hour before we got coordinated enough to finish the mission up.

The biggest advantage is that there's less White Beasting. I'm sure that without these missions, there would be no reason to do anything but stay in one particular mission and grind it out until you get sick of the game. This way, you have a reason to go out to different areas and do different things.

Oh, and I agree with the whole luck thing. I don't like finishing one mission after killing one mob that just happened to spawn at the start, and then have to go through the rest of the game before I find the objective of the next mission. It's not so bad if you can force spawn enemies by loading a specific mission, but say... That E5 mission where you have to kill floating SEED things until they drop a staff? Those very rarely spawn. And even then, I have to hope they drop their item. That's my last matter board, and I just have to hope I finish it somehow.

Tried the dragon one a little bit ago. The dragon spawned twice inside the level, and then the actual boss dragon was seed infected. 35 minutes....

I don't mind them personally. I'm actually just not a fan of there being a whole quest line in the game in general. Granted there were objectives to be done in PSO. But eh, now they're trying to take elements of all the dare I say "Mainstream" mmos. Which, honestly I liked PS games because they weren't like that. I don't care for quest and quest items clogging up my inventory. But that's aside from the subject at hand.

I don't have a problem with these quest. People talking about timers and all that, well content is easier with multiple people. Even if there are spawns, groups are easily man handled. I solo or two man the content myself. I don't mind the challenge of it. But I'm not going to go around riding my own nuts about it. Just because you do TA's doesn't make you good. Alot of people like that kind of thing to challenge themselves for their own satisfaction without gloating about it. Like in PSU there were a lot of elitist that stayed off the grid who annihilated the times people post on the forums because they want friends. So yes, there are a lot of people who like them.

I also forgot to bring up a point to agree with Zorafim here. A large percent of your success does fall on RNG(Random Number Generator). For example. While me and friend Duo'd the Caves Free Mission, we got two Codes to eliminate the Dragon on the way. Granted they weren't required. But clearing codes and mobs alone does affect your rank. So it did affect the run in a whole. Not that I hate the mechanic, I rather like it. It was a love hate relationship of knowing all the routes in a map just by seeing what floor you spawned on first.
    Last edited by ThaiSoup; Jun 24, 2012 at 08:25 PM.

Her missions really aren't that big of a deal. As someone already mentioned, it adds challenge to an otherwise completely unchallenged game. This is a GREAT thing in my opinion. MMO's in general are always so damn bland, but when you're REQUIRED to kick ass just to continue forward, it helps the experience in my opinion

I don't like them but I don't hate them either. I'm indifferent really

Aside from luck based, the current situation with server lag does not really help matters. I narrowly completed a few of her quests with literally seconds left to spare.

While I don't necessarily hate them, I think my biggest gripe is how the structure of quests following up to free exploration works.

Basically, you are given a "tease"--the first quest of an area is generally a short run, where you kill an x amount of a certain type of enemies or what-not. By the time you've finally opened the free-exploration, you've gone through the first 'chunk' enough that you really just want to push through to see the boss, almost as if you were annoyed/bored by it (well, that's how I feel...I won't presume everyone, or anyone else feels that way).

The part that really annoys me the most is if I switched to ranger or hunter (I'm force atm) I would need to go through that same structure despite having everything unlocked. Since all enemies are level 10+ on free-field forest, it's highly unlikely I'd be able to waltz my way in there before level 7 or 8 at best.

I suppose there's an argument as to how 'dull' PSO was in the fact you pretty much were not restricted by quests, but I've always compared to PSO as a hack-n-slash version of Diablo or Borderlands, in that sense that I was always going for new loot, and less about more quests.

That's my two cents anyhow.

For the love of God, nerf the timed runs at least. Killing two accordion dragons and getting an S in the mission is challenging on its own. I don't need a time limit added to that. Also Dagan mission is luck-based.