Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Of course, not everybody applies history. But the idea is that as long as enough people apply history, we can progress as a civilization. Which is why the subject, as a whole, is incredibly important. Both of us being here and able to speak our minds is a result of that.

Sometimes the history we use is not so far back in time. Sometimes it's stuff within the span of our lives, some of which will be in tomorrow's history lesson.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Jul 16, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Battle Maiden of Ragol Lady Nadia's Avatar

maybe so, but this isnt the kinda history thats taught in grade school n high school.

in 14 hundred n ninety 2,,, columbus sailed the ocean blue,,,,, i can still hear that grade school song playing in my head n it wont go away! lol.
    Last edited by Lady Nadia; Jul 16, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
    Ep3 - Nadia 381 Hunewearl, W-4782 L-191, King 32.
    Ep1&2 - Rika 200 Hunewearl, Sophia 200 Racaseal.
    BB - Nei Chan 200 Hunewearl.

A castle clouded beyond the mist and rime, in the depths of your mind

My history knowledge sucks. And history classes in school were kind of 'meh'. Sure you learned core things about WWI and II, 18:th century conquest, blah blah blah...
    But I never really liked it.

But! I think it's really interesting watching those TV shows about archaeology, history documentaries, things like that. o.o
    It's like... Wow!

Someone figure that one out for me!

History in and of itself is never boring. The delivery method on the other hand can be tedious and boring. It's largely tied in to an overwhelming malaise in (western especially) cultures of antipathy and apathy towards anything which could be construed as 'learning'. That is to say, one of the most common things I hear in reference to school, or learning, is that people hate them and will spout of inane drivel about how awful both are. It's an acceptance of ignorance as being not only okay, but desirable. Don't apply yourself. Don't bother learning. Ignore those who are erudite and learned or outright insult, attack, and debase them for having the gall to learn. But, most especially, attack them if they have the audacity to admit to enjoying it.

I would say only children do such things but doing so would be flat out lying through my teeth. I've met countless individuals, of ages from 5 to over 65, who have shared such naive constructs.

Learning never has to be a chore. It doesn't have to be boring. It can be fun and stimulating. In fact, when done correctly it is always stimulating and fun. Seeking out knowledge shouldn't be seen as a chore but as one of the ultimate goals in life. Living in ignorance is one of the ultimate tragedies. But, it is most tragic in a society where knowledge is so freely, and widely available. It's tragic that there are societies around the world which have little access to knowledge but it's outright shameful that there are people in societies where knowledge is freely accessible nigh everywhere yet they refuse to even peruse through even the smallest scraps of it.

What I'm saying is, don't shoulder off something just because you didn't enjoy the methods used to teach it in school. Try brushing up on it yourself. Seek out areas that you have interest, and you might just find yourself suddenly accessing knowledge and drinking it up with no idea how you got there. And, that's okay. Knowledge is, in itself, an end goal. Seek it out. It is the ultimate nectar of life as it always quenches your thirst and yet you shall never grow tired of its taste. There are countless subjects that, if I were to take at face value from what courses I've taken in them that I should ignore the subject. But, I don't. I've always disliked the methodology used by my chemistry teachers and professors and yet I find myself fascinated and intrigued by the subject itself. I have no intentions to actually become a chemist, yet even so I still read and learn about the subject itself because I find it absolutely fascinating.

I'm sorry if I came off as preachy or haughty, I'm just very passionate about this particular issue. Ending the antipathy and apathy of even a single individual, or merely inspiring another to learn is reason enough for me to expound like this, even if I am a bit murky in my explanations and reasoning.

In grade school we learned that Russian people were much larger in stature and musculature then the rest of the world. Russian brain power was noticeably better statistically then the rest of the free world. Our Russian Social Studies teacher was fired for molesting a 12 year old girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    In grade school we learned that Russian people were much larger in stature and musculature then the rest of the world. Russian brain power was noticeably better statistically then the rest of the free world. Our Russian Social Studies teacher was fired for molesting a 12 year old girl.
    Sooo, where are you from that your school is so fascinated with Russian people that you had to learn about their bodies and brains, and on top of that had a Russian teacher? (Or wasn't the teacher Russian, but the class was Russian Studies?)