Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default The importance of English

In the past, Japanese games were being released in Japan long before mainstream America knew about them existing. What makes it different now?... Why is it that SEGA will take their time building a translation for other languages if they so desire, troubling many English able-speakers?

All I see is complaints about a Japanese-only, Japanese-release, Japanese-Language game needing to be in English. So what if we are fans. The game wasn't the talk of E3, so SEGA had some intentions of feeding it to the western world? No.

Here are my thoughts at the moment:

I think the Japanese should focus on their own game ... this PSO2 game we are playing. They should not leave anything but finances to SoA and a few promotions/translation/localization/server maintenances to the west. The game text can be translated in due time with Japanese voices. However, making it fully English with voices and all is just too much for SEGA. The economy in Japan and America is not too strong as they once were. Your only concern while playing a Japanese-only game is to play it while you can in their language.

What are you going to do... fly to Japan and force everyone to live the way you live? No.
    They put in their work to make the game, you have your obligations as a cross-culture player to play it.
    ----

Anyways, I am enjoying the game. My Japanese reading skills are good enough to get through the game so far, and I had no problem. My time in Japan also taught me to be more patient and understanding of people from a culture I do not yet fully understand or live... BUT I also know they have their issues as a company to HELP the people they know they can help.

SEGA has no regulation and promises made for the west at the moment. We are not to demand anything from them. Luckily, we are able to play this game and deal with what we have now. When the game is released in English, you will have a chance to maybe start over with new characters, and recollect as a community.

My time on PSO was long enough before. I put my time into PSOW years ago and enjoyed playing with some of you who frankly I still don't know (the who's who of PSO/PSOW). If we crossed paths, we should do it again. Happy 2000th post for me. All those FKLs in the past really set me back.

-Bogus

Horrible, flammable thread, but grats on 2,000 posts! +^_^+

PSO2-JP: Ship 2; Bouncer/Braver, Tiana Cross.

if i were sega i would just release an english patch and allow AC to be bought through paypal

they're not going to profit off an actual separate release, the MMO market is too saturated, SEGA as a whole would be maintaining two separate games, another set of servers, and more bureaucracy since SoA would be dealing with it.

PSO's a niche game and its niche are a lot of players who are totally fine with japanese voices and alternate language subtitles
    pso two:
    blue moon/caseal/ship 2

This wouldn't be a problem if people bothered to learn some of their language. The majority of the terminology in this game is in English, besides, so it's not even that massive a transition.

It's easy to criticize others, sure, but most of the time there's at least something you could've done to make things easier on yourself, rather than expecting others to accommodate you. And hell, you might learn something along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Geistritter View Post
    This wouldn't be a problem if people bothered to learn some of their language. The majority of the terminology in this game is in English, besides, so it's not even that massive a transition.

It's easy to criticize others, sure, but most of the time there's at least something you could've done to make things easier on yourself, rather than expecting others to accommodate you. And hell, you might learn something along the way.
    This.

I know enough Japanese to get along fine in this game, so it's not a problem for me.

Mixae: Ship 2
    o(≧▼≦○〃パンチ

Quote Originally Posted by BogusKun View Post
    What are you going to do... fly to Japan and force everyone to live the way you live? No.
    Correct. I'm going to fly to Japan and live the way they do o.o
    天上無敵!常勝無敗!唯一無二のPhantasmaです
    Ship 2

This game has inspired me to learn the Japanese language, and it's pretty exciting.
    PSO2 - AwesomeSauce - LVL 40 Hunter, 400 HRS
    PSO2 - Bodacious - LVL 40 Ranger, 400 HRS
    PSO2 - 鬼才 - LVL 17 Force, 100 HRS

I agree with the OP on his point of view, but I do think SEGA will at some point have even the Japanese client in English.

I mean, there's a language option in settings; it'd make no sense not to have multiple options in there, otherwise, why add it?

If people are going to play a Japanese game they should expect it to be in Japanese, not anything else. I played import games back in the '90s on my Super Nintendo and all that did was inspire me to take Japanese in college, which serves me very well in this game.

I'm picking up a very small bit of Japanese just by playing, but I have no idea what anything outside of very basic katakana says.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathByPogs View Post
    This game has inspired me to learn the Japanese language, and it's pretty exciting.
    That's great! I really love to hear when people discover a motivation for learning a language. This game is helping me study as well.

Mixae: Ship 2
    o(≧▼≦○〃パンチ