Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3643444546474849 ... LastLast

anyway, anything other than gloabal server will fail, whats the point to restart from lv50 and see the local server close when the cap is lv150 ? lots of people have psu in memory and they prefer global server with jp language than eng server localized. Plus i forgot, psu had huge updates delays, 1 year delay after we got illuminus. The fact that they announced it few days after jp release show that they waited to see how many eng players were playing, and the fact that they chose "early 213" show that it won't be global. Eng psu was just 2 months behind at the beginning, and it was localized.

Just wanted add one last thing....

Global Servers dont actual solve the problem that cripples NA PSO games. Be it joint or seperate servers, NA SEGA till has to translate, localize, and encode content into english client. This will ultimately slow down JP content sense both JP and English client would need to be patched at same time.

This is main reason why a PSO2 global server is a fools dream. No way would JP Sega compromise speed of PSO2-JP content release for PSO2-I's stability. To make this successful JP and NA Sega would have to work in complete unison which simply isnt possible.

So now that we established content localization speed is a not even a factor with global servers, what is the advantage of global servers ? There is only one, overhead. This ultimately means a reduction in price. In those from a server standpoint and a employee standpoint. With a alleviation of cost, SEGA can dedicate to localization time, GM work, and contribution towards overall stability of PSO2.

But to have a balance conversations you also need to realize the cons. Sadly the cons completely fall on PSO2-JP, mainly that PSO2-I will be a giant liability. Not only does NA SEGA productivity effect all content release, but hypothetically if PSO2-I were to completely crash and burn. All the extra servers and employees invested on JP side would be for naught.
    Last edited by renrinken; Jul 10, 2012 at 02:34 AM.

what is the point to throw out money on a server that will last only 1 or 2 years ? better use that money to upgrade capacity/performance of global server. And come on, is this so much dificult to find jp --> eng translators ? They could translate psu in less that 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by *Kadaj* View Post
    what is the point to throw out money on a server that will last only 1 or 2 years ? better use that money to upgrade capacity/performance of global server. And come on, is this so much dificult to find jp --> eng translators ? They could translate psu in less that 2 months.
    translation and localization are two completely different things, and your post clearly demonstrates your ignorance on the subject. Only a NA translation team can localize for NA which would have to be done by NA SEGA

@Servers: Global servers can be just as costly. Let me put it this way, lets say PSO2-JP would occupy 10 individual servers, they would need to add about 5 additional servers to that if they wanted to make game NA-JP and the two communities would intermingle within these 15 servers. In 2 years. Player base on these 15 servers will drop significantly and a lot of players will migrate to the more populated servers. This will force Sega merge low population severs and sell off unused servers for a loss. Ultimately both Single and Global system both lose money due to unused servers. Ultimatelly these 15 servers will get widdled down to 12 or even less which could cost SEGA even more then losing 1 or 2 servers based on Single region model.

But ultimately as I stated in above post, Global Servers in long run will reduce overall cost, but instead bring in increased risk for PSO2-JP.
    Last edited by renrinken; Jul 10, 2012 at 02:45 AM.

so, mister know all, tell me why it would take 6+ months when psu needed less than 2 months ?

Quote Originally Posted by renrinken View Post
    translation and localization are two completely different things, and your post clearly demonstrates your ignorance on the subject. Only a NA translation team can localize for NA which would have to be done by NA SEGA
    I'll have to agree. I'm working as a translator in Japan (although still a novice), and no matter who you ask, you'll hear this over and over again. Translating is easy. Good localization is a completely different level of work.

Edit:

so, mister know all, tell me why it would take 6+ months when psu needed less than 2 months ?
    To the customer it looks like a 2 month gap, but can you tell me when they decided internally to begin localizing? Do you really think they dropped them off on shelves in August in Japan and then said "Ok now that we've taken care of Japan, lets start localizing EVERYTHING right now!"?
    Last edited by Spellbinder; Jul 10, 2012 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by *Kadaj* View Post
    Because PSO2 is a better game than PSU and they want to make sure it stays that way.

Take a Good Look at the 'Release date' and the 'Version list'.

Wild Guess.
    To Paly together World Wide or (haveing same Game Content as Japan), once PSO2 goes to West. Not likely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Online

Something to note that people really havent mentioned. There is a clear difference between P2P and F2P models.

For both PSOBB and PSU, the only incentive for NA SEGA was subscriptions, which generated a sense of lack of urgency to quickly localized content.

F2P model is very different, content is now directly tied to revenue.

1.People will buy premium packets to get up to date "fun!" items,
    2.be able to have place to put their new Decos
    3. Updated specs/talents will encourage people to pay for talent resets
    4. Expanding mag tree will incredibly encourage mag resets.
    5. New classes and weapons will encourage talent resets, mag resets, new mags, and new character creations.

So overall when SEGA NA brings new content out, they are literally having money fall from the sky. So this might mean a very different scenario compared to PSOBB and PSU.
    Last edited by renrinken; Jul 10, 2012 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by renrinken View Post
    Something to note that people really havent mentioned. There is a clear difference between P2P and F2P models.

For both PSOBB and PSU, the only incentive for NA SEGA was subscriptions, which generated a sense of lack of urgency to quickly localized content.

F2P model is very different, content is now directly tied to revenue.

1.People will buy premium packets to get up to date "fun!" items,
    2.be able to have place to put their new Decos
    3. Updated specs/talents will encourage people to pay for talent resets
    4. Expanding mag tree will incredibly encourage mag resets.
    5. New classes and weapons will encourage talent resets, mag resets, new mags, and new character creations.

So overall when SEGA NA brings new content out, they are literally having money fall from the sky. So this might mean a very different scenario compared to PSOBB and PSU.
    Agreed we all keep comparing PSU and PSOBB to PSO2 but they are completely different game models, if SoA really hate money that much then they'll mess up on the content update, I don't think this will happen, we will likely have a little delay 2 months or so to localize content from SoJ but we'll never have simultaneous content release with JP. As alot of other people have said, give the NA version a go if they mess up that much then go back to the JP servers simples!