Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC Build

Default PC Build

I wasn't sure where to put this; I couldn't find a thread for PC rigs / :
    So I hope I'm not violating any off-topic rules... In the off-topic forum... >.>

But! if anybody does any PC gaming outside of PSO2, how well do you think this setup is? I plan to get a new computer for this game because I can only play on the lowest settings on my current laptop and it has a hard time rendering other players and it's just, in general, laggy. (at least more laggy than it should be)

I am building this rig around Skyrim. (The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim) I feel pretty strongly, if my computer can handle Skyrim on High (and run very smoothly) I should be able to take on most games I want to play; and of course I want to play PSO2 on highest/max : )

SO, here it is. Again, I hope I'm not in violation ._.

Case: Thermaltake Dokker Mid Tower

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 Ivy Bridge

GPU: ECS GeForce 560 Ti

PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

Optical: ASUS DVD Burner

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250GB 7200RPM

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X series 8GB

I've dug around for some reviews on the Mobo and PSU. Those seem pretty solid enough.

So what do you guys think? I'm not an expert by any means I'm only a Novice.
    This is sort of a budget build. Under $900 not including peripherals (which I still need)

EDIT:

Yeah, 1K dosh is way too much to spend on this... I put in an SSD and it broke $1000 mark.

So I have picked out a new CPU and GPU and Mobo.

Mobo: BIOSTAR TH67+

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

the Mobo is cheap... do you think it'll do?
    Last edited by Pony Persona; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM.

You're shooting yourself in the foot with that GPU. I realize you're on a budget, picking the last generation CPU and motherboard too, but don't get that GPU!

If you're on a budget, at least save up enough for your first pick, the 560 Ti.

The i5-2400 is still a decent CPU. Fast enough for the majority of things... But a lot of the time, in this current gaming generation, the bottleneck for games is often the GPU.

Looking at benchmarks, I don't think you really want to buy something two generations behind as far as GPU.

Though, to be honest, if you could save up another $100... Get the GTX 570. It's only $239 vs the $139 of your GTX 460, but the difference in performance and what it'll do for your games is like night and day. GTX 570

A useful graph: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

warped://perfection Mantiskilla's Avatar

@Pony Persona

Totally agree with watashiwa. Your vid card is basically already out the door and right now with the advertising of 570, 580, and 600 series cards the 560 Ti is a pretty darn good card for a pretty good price tag. I would also suggest saving an extra $60 and just buying a WD Caviar Black 1 TB drive (the sata 3gb/s model) since it has 2 processors so its faster, larger cache, and well more space doesn't hurt.

OKAY! How about this rig? I found some cheaper solutions with good reviews.

Motherboard: MSI AMD 990FX

CPU: AMD FX-4100

GPU: MSI GTX 460 or MSI N560GTX-Ti 448

Case: Thermaltake Dokker Mid-Tower

Power: Rosewill Green 630W

how is that? should I go with the Ti 448 with this rig? or still go 460?
    Like I said, I'm not really that hardcore and I'm kinda just wanting to run Skyrim and maybe BF3 and from what I've seen BF3 looks great with just the 460. But Also there are some budget builds that use 560 Ti for Skyrim.

I'm just curious where you found a positive review of a Bulldozer processor. Especially the 4100. It's slower than the Phenom II series chips that it replaced, putting it in roughly the same performance segment as Intel's Core 2 Quads of yesteryear, all while using more power than Intel's last generation Sandy Bridge chips. Point being, don't compromise with a computer. You're likely to have it for several years and if you buy what is already old hat, a 460 and Bulldozer, you're just going to find yourself wishing you had paid more in the outset so that the system would retain ideal performance levels longer.

ouch. So I should stick with the

TH67+/i5-2400 setup and go with the 560 Ti?

AMD FX-4100 review: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1766/1/

also on Newegg most of the reviews are positive with very little negative.

I'm thinking about getting the Intel i5-3570K processor and the GTX560-Ti.

But then I'd have to get an aftermarket cpu cooler to optimize my performance. *sigh*

I'm only thinking about the 3750K because there is a sale that ends in a few hours.
    Last edited by Pony Persona; Jul 18, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

You keep changing the build so often, it gets a little annoying to offer advice.

Listen to what the other poster said. Don't buy old products with your computer.

Keep the same build you posted here, but change out the GTX 460 for the 560 Ti or even the 570 ... DONE:

no problem with the mobo?

okay then : ) thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Persona View Post
    no problem with the mobo?

okay then : ) thanks
    No comment on the motherboard. I don't use BIOSTAR brand products myself... If I were you, I'd go with a bigger name, but the board could be O.K.

There's some negative reviews on that board on Newegg, but I think almost every motherboard has them.