Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast
    A Worshipped Godly FOmar Quintus_The_Force's Avatar
    With Red Ring Rico In Episode 1 Ultimate Mode End Credits Hittin The Bong In My Icon and Makin Love

Exclamation Any Disappointments Or Underwhelming Feelings With PSO2 When Looking For The PSO Exp?

Question for the PSO veterans in here. I speant about 5K hours in PSO since Dreamcast/GCN/BB. I'm noticing little changes in PSO2 like cap, and difficulty, im curious if im going to like PSO2 as much as I enjoyed PSO1. I expect to, but what were some of the things in PSO2 that made you think 'ahhhh dang, its gone!, or ' awwww thats different!', so I can have a better grasp on my expectations?

99% or more like it better.

I can relate to you as I was thinking the same before I discovered client orders and untill I reached level 30.

The game has freedom, so it doesnt force you to Kill multiple enemy mobs to progress. You can make that choice yourself. Client orders encourage engaging enemies alot, and they also reward with great amount of exp, so they're great elements to the gameplay.

When you reach level 30, tundra is unlocked, which is alot more challenging than anything else a. Once you finish the last tundra mission, you unlock a time attack mode.

This is where any pso1 fan is going to love the game, because it is basically your pso1 mode. Don't ask me why it's called time attack mode lol, especially because these missions played on regular pace, can take around the same time as pso1, which is around an hour. The mode brings back barriers that open untill you kill amounts of enemies. It brings back pushing buttons simultaniously with others. It even has great puzzles that require communication, very lightly that is. They're challenging and fun!! Remember in pso1 where area 1 looked different from area2? Well even that's back, but I won't spoil too much. It'll explain itself. And really the best part is still I think the challenge and feeling the great need of engaging enemies to progress. It helps that the combat is friggin fantastic, so yeah

It's too bad that such a thing is unlocked so late in the game. But to anyone that still reads the forums and may still feel dissapointed, I hope this post convinces you to keep playing, because judging from everything i've expeirenced so far in pso2, and imagining there will be more of it. I can safely say, this is one hell of a great sequel
    Last edited by Agitated_AT; Jul 15, 2012 at 09:24 PM.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

The run-around given by certain F2P aspects really grind my gears.

But not in a "fawk this game" sort of way.

I'm still mad that the "My Room" costs money

And having to do annoying quests to unlock the right to progress further kind of make me feel like a tool, knowing that any other game having a quest like that would make me want to quit. (The level 40 cap unlocking quest)

Otherwise I'm amazed that the combat hasn't bore'd me yet. It doesn't stop being fun well ranger gets boring sometimes for me... e_e

At least till I start riding my launcher across the map.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

I'm not exactly a veteran, but I'm on the fence about how little the races differ now. The new way lets people create the character they want without worrying about being massively subpar or even simply impossible (e.g. FOcast) and it works well with having a single character leveling all the classes, but at the same time I liked how you had to carefully consider which race to choose in the original, such as being a hunter you could go Cast for the highest damage and regenerating health (I think they had that... right?) or Newman to get more powerful techniques and regenerating PP so they don't need to keep mates or fluids. Sometimes I feel like it's a bad thing, sometimes I feel it's a good thing. Overall though, I think a lot of people are mostly neutral on the idea while a few love their FOcast and think it's the greatest change ever.

A couple other things of note: non-force characters cannot use techniques at all (though they may introduce mixed classes later), weapon selection is questionable (why can't we have real rifles instead of rifle-shaped mechguns?), boss fights seem a little less complex (though PSO's most complex boss wasn't until the third area and I've only played the first two in PSO2), mags cannot be found (or at least, nobody's found one yet), rares soulbind on equip (or some other terminology for that sort of thing), trading is restricted to cash players only (on the other hand, you're getting almost every other part of previous PS titles for free and the premium is about the same price as their susbscriptions), difficulty is overall lowered (or so I hear, I personally don't have an opinion).

But at its core you go to various diverse environments and fight many different enemies, resulting in better equipment so you can fight stronger enemies; and PSO2 definitely falls more toward PSO than any other game with that description that I know of.

Sega's launch trailer thingy+^_^+
    just enough to wet your appetite +^_^+

I don't require for a sequel to be the same game as last time. It's a decent game, the music is generally solid, and I get to be a robot with a rocket launcher. That's good enough for me.

I played PSO all the way back on the Dreamcast, and pretty much followed it until Blue Burst died, and I also played PSU until they took down the PC servers.

What I will tell you, veteran to veteran, is that this game both looks and feels like a next generation PSO should.

I am on the private server that shall not be named for PSOBB, and I have gone back to it a few times thinking "Damn, PSO2 did a great job at improving this", because before PSO2 I could still find myself coming to PSO and thinking that the gameplay experience still rivaled 2012 games.

PSO2 is quite superior in its combat, and they learned the dos and don'ts for it through PSU.

If there's one thing PSU was good for, it was for SEGA to essentially better tweak PSO2 to be exactly what we all wanted.

The F2P-ness of it is something that's new, and may take some getting used to, as there was no such thing as a cash shop in the old PSO, everything was just there...but think of paying for premium as...say...a hunters license.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    If there's one thing PSU was good for, it was for SEGA to essentially better tweak PSO2 to be exactly what we all wanted.
    Wouldn't go anywhere near that far. Some of us are substantially easier to please than others. Hell, calling it "Phantasy Star Online 2" was good enough for most people to act like it was the second coming of space Jesus.

I personally think this game has a long way to go, yet at the same time, I expected it to be awful, and it isn't that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Eastwood View Post
    The level 40 cap unlocking quest
    Is there seriously a level 40 cap quest too? Is there going to be a horrible busy work quest every ten levels? I really am close to just throwing in the towel on this game. It's just annoying busy work quests and grinding so you can do more annoying busy work quests.