Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    ...Nope, no Phantasy Star game before PSU had My Room. To my knowledge, at least.

Well, at least in general it seems lots of folks automatically hate things for having to cost money, which I find endlessly amusing.

It's hard not to get the sense that people will not be satisfied unless absolutely everything they care about is free...

Ohhh, okay. Then I was mistaken. Thanks for clarifying, that would've driven me nuts for the rest of the day!

Haha, is it really that odd for people to love freebies? Especially if you're working, have financial responsibilities, and games are just a hobby. Personally, I find nice little freebies to be a real relief. One less thing that demands money. Of course, one shouldn't expect them all the time, but it's understandable to want relief from capitalism every now and again. Now, as far as "hating" things because they cost money, I don't really get that impression, personally. I think, or in my opinion, the concern may be that the item or service may not provide as many features as the individual feels is worth its price (or the quality of those features may be in question), but all that's subjective. Personally (and this is just me), I'd rather just pay a monthly fee and receive all the services and features instead of a monthly fee (room) AND other micro transactions. That can really add up, you know?

In any case, PSO2 is still great. That's something most of us can agree on. There're just different little things about it that make us frown, is all.

I want me some classic Dark Falz though!

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    This is a good post that highlights all the good stuff in PSO2. I feel like we could do with a post that highlights all the bad stuff in PSO2, but I think that's already been done here.
    Here, let me do that now.

And~ it's done.

Really, my only complaints are the lack of content between lv20-30, and the price of some of the cash shop stuff. I would complain about the randomness of cash shop items which require the scratch card, but you can just buy those with meseta anyway.
    Oh, and I'm enjoying my two mags new mags.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePendragon View Post
    PSO was not a very good game. Get over it.
    Sorry, no. PSO is a classic. I never found a game which did all the things it did, as well as it did, until PSO2. To this day it's still enjoyable, and I suspect the fan servers will be up for quite a while. Comparing PSO2 to PSO is natural, as was comparing PSU to PSO. It's just now, Sega finally came out with a game that's better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nu Lo Yin View Post
    I want me some classic Dark Falz though!
    Haha! Agreed! I remember the first time I noticed all the faces in the ground. I was so freaked out. I said "oh god, I can't stop stepping on them!" XD

This is a good post that highlights all the good stuff in PSO2. I feel like we could do with a post that highlights all the bad stuff in PSO2, but I think that's already been done here.

Also if anyone has any issues with FOcasts then dealwithit.gif
    No, I don't think it has. Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    No, I don't think it has. Care to elaborate?
    Basically, it's just the grinding and affix systems. Everything else is a matter of preference, like the order of unlocking quests and free field or the level cap quests. The grinding and affix system is objectively bad - it penalizes and rewards people arbitrarily despite doing literally nothing different besides attempt X action at Y moment. Completely removing control from a player's hand is under no circumstances a good game design decision. It's frustrating beyond repair.

The client orders for key game mechanics should really be something separate from client orders, and auto-unlock, like the mag and level cap and free field stuff. That's just a matter of convenient game design though. Some people will like that you need to actually talk to someone to suddenly be getting stronger from busting your ass, and well I guess they're welcome to that opinion. But then, even in PSO1 you needed to speak to the principal to get the go-ahead for each next area in the same playthrough that you beat your current area's boss.

edit: Also, I agree 100% that the premium compares very closely with the monthly sub. The need to be premium to trade is a-ok in my book. I look at this F2P model as basically get everything for a price, or get barebones for free to get you to want to pay. I see no reason that it shouldn't work this way.
    I love how defensive people get when I make the shocking claim that a video game can be anything but perfect and the second coming of noone less than Jesus himself.

The loot sucks ass. I'm not saying section IDs were the best, but at least the items were worth it. I really dislike the way it's handled in PSO2.

Quote Originally Posted by Amoramora View Post
    Haha! Agreed! I remember the first time I noticed all the faces in the ground. I was so freaked out. I said "oh god, I can't stop stepping on them!" XD
    I know! I hope they put him in somewhere again...

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Actually... Reading through this thread, I remembered a few complaints I have.

First is a comparison between PSO and PSO2. The long dungeon crawling. I really enjoy starting on a new spot on a map, and having to slowly work my way to the end objective, with little bonuses scattered in dead ends. This is what made the RPG genre, which still lasts today. Progressing through a map in PSO2 is less satisfying than I'd like. I can see a dead end coming, so I can just go another direction and be on my way.

Still, this is a gameplay trade off. The game is less about exploring, and more about action and gameplay. There are a million other games where I can dungeon crawl. Having one game with something a bit looser isn't all bad. And besides that, apparently there's a mission mode which brings back what I was talking about, so I should probably go do that before judging anything.

Secondly, and this is something that annoys me more. Free missions, and how they're grouped into other quests. When someone looks for a free mission, they look for the biggest group, since that's the group that is most likely to be killing things quickly. But a good chunk of that group might just be skipping to the boss for a matter board or client mission. And on the flip side, someone may just want to kill a boss, but can't find any parties because they just want to do the free mission. So they may need to solo the boss.

This can be fixed with better community communication, but it can also be fixed by having levels which focus on quickly getting to a boss, and other levels which focus on just exploring a free mission. If you want to hunt bosses, do mission A. If you want to do PSE hunting, do Mission B. Seems more fluid to me.

And as a side complaint, free mission size and mapping. Doing Forest's lv20 free mission was a pain, because it was just a split to three hallways at one time. Backtracking through those small areas wasn't fun. I'd rather have a huge field to fight through, or at least hallways which connect into a circle. Once I got to Desert, this was pretty much fixed. But for some levels, it's sometimes an issue.

Well after reading some of the pages here I see a lot of people are putting their love for how good the game is before actually realizing how unlike PSO2 is from PSO1, I've been playing PSO since I first saw it on the Dreamcast, many of years ago I also played PSU on all servers but JP ones. I can honestly say that anyone like me who has had that much experience can agree with me that this game is more of a sequel to PSU than PSO. Of course it does bring some nostalgia to it with all the same names of classes/items/techniques around but that doesn't truly make it a sequel to PSO1...there are many problems with PSO2 that make it way too much of a PSU than PSO.

First off taking TP out of the game....that's a no brainer.

Mags, they are very unlike PSO in terms of feeding and evolution, if you want a hybrid mag that isn't completely useless you basically have to get your main Atk, & Def stat up with some ability, (unless you don't plan on using 9 star +10 weapons then you can have whatever stats you want) The evolution stages just seem so generic and linear, there was more randomness to the outcome of your mag in PSO1 despite there only being 4 stats to level. You also get only 1 stat point per level, unlike in PSO1.

There's really no other modes in the game, the time attack isn't very appealing and just seems more like a speed run you'd do in a TA clan on PSU. PSO2 desperately needs a challenge and or battle mode of some form, with rewards as good as PSO1 had. Those S rank weapons were an excellent idea, being able to name them as you please, I'm surprised they are not in this game.

The maps seem a lot shorter because you just end up sticking in the multiparty area roaming around instead of doing multiple runs, this is very unlike PSO, PSO was about run the same mission over & over again for that certain rare you wanted, not roaming the same map in hopes of spawning more monsters and codes.

The leveling is to simplistic, the level caps are too easy to reach and Sega is trying to slow it down by putting in very tedious and annoying client orders (quests) which again, is very unlike PSO.

Where are my Lobby chairs? rofl.

The uselessness of what class you are, in other words basically you're a RAnewearl so what? you're just a ranger in PSO2, nothing special. Unfortunately there is nothing that makes you unique compared to other newmans of different classes or other Rangers of different races, in PSO being something like a RAmarl felt unique you could be a good support to your group still even while dealing Ranged damage, or a HUnewearl matched with a group of other hunters, being able to give everyone s/d, with some good heals while still being an all hunter group.

Let's bring back stuff like Rappy costumes and bikini's because that's so PSO....

Casts don't have traps and Rangers have to use skill points to get them, um wtf? Reminds me of PSU where you had to be a certain class (Protranser) to use AOE traps (the other traps were useable by most people but were not really needed except for freeze traps but still not something you saw in PSO1) not race... still not convinced this is more like PSU?

ooh dear techniques.... why only forces can use them is beyond me, even in PSU the lower level types (hunters for example) could use some techniques on their weapons if they had a low rank wand or something, so why no one but forces can use techniques? that's beyond me but this is again very unlike PSO and more something that comes from PSU.

Having multiple classes, this is Sega's solution to level cap being too easy to reach and for those who are unwilling to pay extra for more character slots. This is very unlike PSO, in PSO if you wanted the experience of having another class you had to level it from a completely new character, in PSU you could just switch type and have your PA disks in original form so if you wanted to be a MasterForce one day all your PA disks are in your common box so you just switch them out for your GunMaster ones and there you go switching class...huh... kinda like PSO2 is now...

So tell me how exactly is this game more like PSO than PSU? with stuff like PP, PA's, no techniques unless you're a Force,mag chains are...weird, Mags PB seem more just for damage when in PSO they were used for support to get your group amazing Shift & Deband stats, sooo can't even do that here... seriously though I'm waiting for those elitist responses that are like "NO NO NO You're wrong PSO2 is a true sequel to PSO" OK how !?!?! if all the major features in PSO that made PSO what it is are NOT in PSO2.

PSO2 over all is amazing and fun game, it's very unique compared to other games of similar genre, one of the best games I've played in the last bit of years, but is it a true sequel to PSO1? No unfortunately this is more of a sequel to PSU, they could of at least continued the story... but no that was too much to ask for I guess.
    Last edited by MelancholyWitch; Jul 16, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
    PSO 2 Chararcters:
    Sniper Wolf- RA/HUnewearl main PHnewearl (current)Ship 02 (CBT participant)

Proud leader of Newearls Luv PP