Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Quit, hobbies are studyin Udonge's Avatar

Default Breaking boss parts = Better drops?

I just recently heard about this from a Vol dragon hunting party that if you break it's horns you get better drops. Is this true and applies to all bosses?

I also heard about this, but not yet confirmed on my part.
    It would make sense though, since the Monster Hunter games uses this kind of "break parts for more items" system.

Quote Originally Posted by Udonge View Post
    I just recently heard about this from a Vol dragon hunting party that if you break it's horns you get better drops. Is this true and applies to all bosses?
    You get an extra 2 drops per broken part, so breaking all of banshee & banther's parts makes him drop loads of loot.
    So yes, it does apply to all bosses. More broken parts can equate to better loot since more drop chances overall

Quit, hobbies are studyin Udonge's Avatar

okay, that makes sense why bosses like antlion always drops very little loot. thanks

Yes, I've known that for awhile. However, I'm a touch confused about the Rockbear and Guwana bosses. Since they don't have any breakable parts, what exactly constitutes them dropping more items?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Yes, I've known that for awhile. However, I'm a touch confused about the Rockbear and Guwana bosses. Since they don't have any breakable parts, what exactly constitutes them dropping more items?
    Maybe hitting their weak points a certain amount of times.

I must have terrible luck, then.

I've been fighting the giant mammoth boss and breaking both horns and his face mask and he still only ever drops meseta.

Quote Originally Posted by Udonge View Post
    okay, that makes sense why bosses like antlion always drops very little loot. thanks
    Not necessarily, rank of the lowest player in the room seems to matter as well.
    There are definitely other factors involved for the main pile of loot. You could easily boss rush and break everything and still end up with 6 pieces of loot. I've seen complete piles after 10 minutes of play (probably S rank) and then breaking everything involved.

The amount of drops are based on rank. The quality of the drops is speculated to be based on breaking boss parts, but a lot of parts, when broken, cause the boss to act differently (the snow tigers slip on the ice during certain attacks once their claws have been broken, for example), or at least forces them to reel in pain for a few seconds to attack them further, so it can't be said that there's no other reason to break their parts. Indeed, since most bosses do indeed become easier when their parts are broken, it could be reasonably speculated that breaking their parts worsens their drops.

I dunno, though, and I don't pretend to know. This is a Phantasy Star Online game, so the drop rates are so awful it's impossible to be sure anyway.

I've seen four coins pop out of the dragon after a couple rounds of breaking his tail and such

I really don't think anything happens other than letting you pelt on them for precious seconds