Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

That's great and all, but I somehow fail to see how that suddenly validates warrior tanking when it's pretty much universally maligned at this point.

And again, Tera Hard Mode is closer to PSO2's Ultimate Mode in equivalency, which we don't yet have, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    What RocSage said.
    For example: if you're bobbing and weaving all over the place, it's going to cause the snow panther bosses to just fly all over the field, making it harder for your teammates to keep track of what's going on, and ultimately suffering their damage rates.
    With a tanking strategy you can stay reasonably close and guard attacks for negligible damage, giving your team a much easier time wailing on the boss as it's busy trying to execute close-range attacks on you.
    You just reminded what I hate about people who don't dodge carefully in Tri. Barioth loves to jump clear across the map to catch people, and if your party members can't dodge decently, and just run clear... he ends up bouncing all over and making it near impossible to get good output on him.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFalcon View Post
    Actually, Just Guard is a lot more offensive than spamming dodge. Absolutely no contest
    I think it is a contest if someone has Step Attack and can time dodges well, since then evasion barely interrupts your attacking. But then, the same is true of JG>JC.
    Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    That's great and all, but I somehow fail to see how that suddenly validates warrior tanking when it's pretty much universally maligned at this point.

And again, Tera Hard Mode is closer to PSO2's Ultimate Mode in equivalency, which we don't yet have, obviously.
    It's not a dead art, considering they buffed its passive performance by massive levels in random dungeons.

I knew plenty of Warriors that tanked before that patch too, the patch just made it easier for all the baddies.

You know, this just reminded me of something. Is it really fair to invalidate someone's opinion of a game just because they never reached the very top-end levels of it, when it takes, at a minimum, about a hundred hours of play to get there? Is it fair to say "oh, don't worry, it gets better" when it takes THAT LONG to reach that point?

I mention this because Tera in particular is fairly infamous for being completely unengaging before you hit level 20, and even then, like I said, it's rather slow relative to most peoples' expectations of "action combat". And then the speed doesn't even pick up until you hit HM dungeons, which don't start until the 40s (and good luck getting a group for those!)?

No, sorry, I don't think that's fair. I put in my time and I lost interest well before I was geared enough to find groups for HM dungeons, so I'm going to use that experience as an anchor point. Don't like it? That's too bad, because it's completely unrealistic to expect anyone to reach that point if they just can't maintain interest that long.

Anyway, more to the point of this thread, I remain convinced that defense is worth putting points into if only for the fact that equivalent points in attack barely do anything at all (that, and it's fairly trivial to get +40 or even +50 attack power on all three units), the fact that nobody is infallible and WILL get hit eventually, and the fact that there are a number of instances in the game where you will get killed without warning if you can't take a hit.

You know, this just reminded me of something. Is it really fair to invalidate someone's opinion of a game just because they never reached the very top-end levels of it, when it takes, at a minimum, about a hundred hours of play to get there? Is it fair to say "oh, don't worry, it gets better" when it takes THAT LONG to reach that point?

I mention this because Tera in particular is fairly infamous for being completely unengaging before you hit level 20, and even then, like I said, it's rather slow relative to most peoples' expectations of "action combat". And then the speed doesn't even pick up until you hit HM dungeons, which don't start until the 40s (and good luck getting a group for those!)?

No, sorry, I don't think that's fair. I put in my time and I lost interest well before I was geared enough to find groups for HM dungeons, so I'm going to use that experience as an anchor point. Don't like it? That's too bad, because it's completely unrealistic to expect anyone to reach that point if they just can't maintain interest that long.

Anyway, more to the point of this thread, I remain convinced that defense is worth putting points into if only for the fact that equivalent points in attack barely do anything at all (that, and it's fairly trivial to get +40 or even +50 attack power on all three units), the fact that nobody is infallible and WILL get hit eventually, and the fact that there are a number of instances in the game where you will get killed without warning if you can't take a hit.
    It's not about the game getting better. It's that it gets harder.

Clearly I agree with you in some respects because I am no longer playing. However, I got to experience what was difficult content in that game with a guild of very skilled players. Was it boring in the long run, having to do this stuff ad nauseum while dealing with the horrible enchanting system and gold grind? Yes. It was. So in the end, the game was not enjoyable for the long term, but there are some difficult as hell fights that you chose not to experience, and then decided to throw a fast one at TERA's difficulty.

So yes, it does invalidate your opinion on TERA's difficulty level. Not the enjoyability of the game, you have ever right to have your own opinion there. As I said, I'd have to agree, seeing as how I stopped playing.

I will agree, the leveling is slightly painful, but it's not that bad. I had two 60's in my first month of game play. The issue is the questing system is repetitive, but at least they gave you quests to do, unlike other Korean games I know at launch (*COUGHAION).

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    It's not about the game getting better. It's that it gets harder.
    Spoiler!
    Fair enough, I guess. I still think it's kind of silly to compare it to PSO2 considering how different the two games are (and given that PSO2 doesn't have Ultimate Mode yet), but I concede that I don't really know how the game works at HM.

Fair enough, I guess. I still think it's kind of silly to compare it to PSO2 considering how different the two games are (and given that PSO2 doesn't have Ultimate Mode yet), but I concede that I don't really know how the game works at HM.
    Fair enough in return...if there is a pending ultimate mode, the comparison is pretty moot until we understand the qualities of such a difficulty in PSO2.

Sheesh, winning that argument wasn't nearly as rewarding as I thought it would be, I guess I wasn't ready for you to concede. PSOW regularity determines that would you come back at me with something else...it's like I don't even know what to do with myself...

Is it possible to be a troll and not even know it? ._.

The ego in that post is astonishing

I like how this became all about TERA for an entire page. Last time I looked this was a Japanese game and not a Korean one.

And eh, as the game is right now, I see no major point in tossing into Mag defense, but I guess it's all preference. I rarely find myself low on health in the current game. In the future, if I determine I need it then I'll incorporate it. Why plan for the future when it's not here yet.
    ~This message has been brought to you by Joh My God!~

So heres the build Im gonna go for:
    http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/...RA!IOI2dBwhGK8
    And, on my mag, I've been stacking only R-Atk. With this build, I'll have only the 360 base R-Def (RAcast) at level 40. So, I've started leveling R-Def, I figure I can go 103atk and 47def on the mag and thatll give me exactly 407 R-def needed for the vol dragon armor. I'm wondering if all that def on my mag is worth it, or just screw the vol dragon armor and go for another armor set, like maybe the 374? R-def required one. Thatll mean I'll only have to level my mag's R-Def to 14. Basically, im stuck on which armor set to go for, and therefore how much R-def ill need on my mag. Any input anyone?
    Last edited by satchko; Jul 21, 2012 at 09:38 PM.