Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Not enough Atlus love in here. Too many icky WRPGS. I expected better, fellow weeaboos.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2(play 1 first, even if 2 is better. you'll appreciate it more)
    Persona 3 and 4
    SMT: Devil Survivor 1 and 2(Overclocked if you have a 3DS)

Atlus is #1 for RPG turn-based goodness.

Unbelievable. No mention of Dragon's Dogma? It is a seriously lovely game. It deserves more love.

Character creation is on par with PSO2 (yes, really - look up the videos on Youtube), and the monster-fighting is the best in ANY RPG I have EVER played thanks to the grabbing system and the sheer physicality of it all (even though everything is Made of Iron). These two things combined are enough to catapult it to the top of my list of Must-Play Games. Also, the story is kind of a mind-fuck. In a good way.

Considering it's Capcom's first true RPG (Monster Hunter is kind of a halfway point, being REALLY light on story), it's really, really impressively well-done.

warped://perfection Mantiskilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majarra View Post
    Not enough Atlus love in here. Too many icky WRPGS. I expected better, fellow weeaboos.

SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2(play 1 first, even if 2 is better. you'll appreciate it more)
    Persona 3 and 4
    SMT: Devil Survivor 1 and 2(Overclocked if you have a 3DS)

Atlus is #1 for RPG turn-based goodness.
    WRPGS are bad c'mon now, haha

Uhh just a few I see on my shelf

Quest for Glory Series (PC) - Just awesome if you haven't played them then bust out with the time machine cause its kinda old
    Vandal Hearts 1 & 2 (PS1)
    Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
    Dungeons & Dragons Warriors of the Eternal Sun (Genesis)
    Shining Force Series (1, 2 & 3. Paid too much damn money for 3...like $200 i think)

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    Planescape: Torment

/thread
    No fair. Don't bring that *story so deep it redefines expected story depth in an RPG* so early into the discussion. Let it get a few more pages before you drop the nuclear bomb.

Anyway, one of my favorites of all time was also Skies of Arcadia. I absolutely adored that game, and it had one of the most satisfying endings I've experienced in a game after some 80 hours of play. I also love the Air Pirates theme and it had that fantastic dramatic music, which changed based on the situation for all the bigger dramatic battles. Coming up with a strategy to turning the tables on a boss, and hearing the music change was one of the most thrilling experiences ever. Can't remember any other RPG that had me hold up the fist of victory more times than that one.

Mount & Blade! It's got a fair bit of strategy in it but it is an action RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post

/thread

Hard to argue with that. PS:T's writing is just too good compared to the majority of games. There is a lot of text to wade through, but you're so compelled to read on it hardly matters.

Anyways my list off the top of my head:
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Fallout 1
    KOTOR 2 restored
    Chrono Trigger
    Fallout New Vegas
    "I prefer my history dead. Dead history is writ in ink, the living sort in blood."
    Images in signatures cannot exceed 50,000 bytes. The image in your signature was 73,652 bytes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiskilla View Post
    Vandal Hearts 1 & 2 (PS1)
    wow...it's been awhile since i last heard of this one. i used to play Vandal Hearts 1 on the
    ps1 back then; it was pretty awesome. getting the Vandaliar promotion and true ending was
    a blast. i really love this game back then. kind of surprise me there, Mr. Mantisextermininator!

some of my faves:
    Shining in the Darkness
    Shining Force: resurrection of dark dragon
    Stella Deus (ps2)
    Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen (ps1)
    Legend of Legaia (ps1)
    Granstream Saga (ps1)
    Sudeki (xbox)
    Suikoden 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, tactics
    .hack G.U.
    Shadow Hearts 1 , 2 , 3 (ps2)

++++++----------"." Xe's Sanctuary 09/28/2016----------- Youtube's profile "."----------++++++
    wallies edited: 4500_|_G.O.L.D.E.N_|_sigs created: 1055

Iv only one atm and thats maplestory. It along with pso was my childhood rpg.
    who am i....? *tosses card to* find out.

As of right now, really only the Elder Scrolls/Fallout series. Otherwise, PSP2i is eating up a ton of my RPG time, but it's kind of redundant to mention that on a PS message board. Beyond that, I suppose the RPG which has really impressed me the most this generation(ish) was Infinite Space for the DS. The combat was a bit of a weak-point, boiling down to basic backwards/forwards maneuvering and rock/paper/scissors... but it more than makes up for this in expansive and atmospheric setting and storyline. The story is classic space opera goodness featuring a huge cast of characters spanning multiple solar systems/societies and pulls no punches with the tragedy and consequences of war as some of the die, switch allegiances, and mature through adversity. Yuri starts the game as a typical 15 year old anime trope, given command of his own fleet of star ships... but despite his best efforts and indomitable spirit, his lack of experience soon causes him to screw the pooch when shit gets real. His transformation into an adulthood, and his maturing as a military commander and diplomat is refreshing for Jrpgs. The ending is a bit weak, but doesn't really damage the whole of the experience IMO.

Building ships and outfitting them, tetris style, with new modules that upgrade weapons, reduce crew fatigue, and boost maneuverability (etc) is also a real treat for micromanagement nuts and accountants.

Otherwise, Valkyria Chronicles II for the PSP deserves special mention... but mostly for the gameplay aspects. It's story and characters wasn't nearly as engaging as Infinite Space, and it pretty much falls into almost every anime trope out there via a role alloted for it in it's diverse cast. Still, the art design and atmosphere were top notch, owing much to the groundwork that was laid by it's PS3 big brother.

As for classic RPGs to get nostalgic over, I guess the biggest one which influenced my childhood was Quest for Glory. The Sega Master System and Genesis weren't exactly RPG powerhouses (little wonder why I became so invested in the Phantasy Star series), so I turned to the PC for my RPG gaming. Quest for Glory is technically an RPG/Adventure hybrid, combining King's Quest/Monkey Island style point & click puzzle solving with stat increases to provide multiple solutions to puzzles based on your character build. A fighter breaking into a brigand camp would normally fight and kill the minotaur guarding the door, but on trained in magic could also cast a calm spell to put it to sleep (or soften it up at a distance with fireballs spells)... or one trained in thief skills could simply use environmental camouflage and careful timing to sneak past it.

They had a simple, but fun (and at times irreverent) campy heroic atmosphere which mixed traditional western RPG/D&D elements with humor in the vein of Monty Python and other such "silly" puns and comedy. They also explored a wide variety of cultures that's rare to encounter even in today's market, such as a Slavic/Transylvanian or tribal African/Egyptian setting.

In many ways, it still resembles a modern Bethesda outing. Stats raise based on how often you use them, rather than arbitrary increases based on experience points. Combat is real-time and non-random, at least in as much as you can see the enemies coming and can avoid combat or engage it at your choice. You had to maintain your character, eating at least once a day and getting a good night's sleep if you wanted to be in peak condition. NPCs will change dialog and attitudes towards you based on how well you can communicate, and depending on the choices you make in the game, etc. Also, since all five games in the series exist in a continuum, you can import your character from the end of one title and use them to start the next game in the series. The choices you make in a previous title can also affect the events in later titles (to a small degree). It was very much ahead of it's time, imo.

If anyone wants to try the series out without having to deal with the bugs and compatibility issues raised with running such old software on newer machines, the team at AGD Interactive released their VGA remake of QFGII (probably the best game in the series) a little while ago. It's a free download, so what the hell. Give it a shot.

QFG II VGA remake
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Aug 14, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    Considering it's Capcom's first true RPG WRPG (Monster Hunter is kind of a halfway point, being REALLY light on story), it's really, really impressively well-done.
    The nerd in me couldn't read this without wanting to correct it.

Breath of Fire is one of Capcoms oldest RPG franchise. Also wanted to add I've heard Dragon's Dogma looses a lot of steam around mid game.

Also decided to add some honorable mentions.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.
    Some of the finest RPGs to come out this generation.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."