Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zemog View Post
    these new people are not familiar with the advanced search tools that the board may offer...
    There is no excuse for people not knowing how to use a search function anywhere on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by RocSage View Post
    There is no excuse for people not knowing how to use a search function anywhere on the internet.
    Searching within threads is super useful.

Back in my day, such a thing didn't exist. We read hundreds of pages of backlogs at 28.8kbps both ways and we liked it

Quote Originally Posted by UnLucky View Post
    what are they gonna do about it? delete half the board?
    I'm merely taking an active stance in trying to quell a bit of the toxic attitudes a lot of people post with around here. Whether happens, if anything, to people that simply don't have a kind word for anyone, at least I'm not sitting around on the forum bitching about it. I took it to the guys in charge. It's in their court now to try and get a rein or two in place on these kinds of confrontational posters.

Cold as winter, guns of summer. Point and watch them run.
    Which PSO-W Member Are You?

Just remember that in this sea of ignorance and pessimism, there *are* people that do want to help. After a while you start picking up on certain triggers that make you skip to the next post immediately

Sometimes this really is the community that hates itself and I think there are some matters, such as racism and sexism, that are not picked up on and run rampant to ridiculous levels. But there are good people here too, and that's really the reason I do post here and have been active here off and on since PSU's US release. Unfortunately the negativity is about par for the course on the Internet as a whole, because evidently hating on stuff is "what the cool kids do" nowadays or something.

*shakes cane*

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCrush View Post
    Depends a lot what questions you're asking, but to be fair, searching before posting is just general forum procedure 101.

Not that it justifies their reactionary posts, but it is common sense for the most part to search and see if your answer already exists rather than have to waste time waiting on someone to answer.

Would it not be better for you as well if you could find your answer right away rather than wait?

If anything, I would say joining the Mumble server or just asking in game would be the more efficient way if you want an answer in real time.

I don't know if you noticed but most of the threads on this forum are complete useless trash and people who enjoy playing dolly dress up rather than any actual game knowledge =/
    That's my problem... as someone new to a game which has been around for a while, I have little to "say" other than things in question form... but I'm scared to ask these questions.

If I had played for 500 hours, maxed out my character, maxed out my mag, completed a unique outfit/look, and finished every mission / client order, perhaps then I could feel like I belong here... taking fashion pics and the like.

But I'm a long way away from that...

I was thinking I'd like a "New Players" sub forum where I could connect with new players like me and keep it away from the Vets, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that won't actually help. It would just be a questions board.

I guess it's just the nature of the beast at this point... there are more questions than typical because of the language barrier. If it wasn't for that, I'm sure this would be an overall happier place to post. Maybe I need to remind myself that this is a board for a single game instead of multiple games / platforms like I'm more accustomed to participating in. I want to "say" things about this game, but there is just not that much to "say", perhaps.

I'm level 14. Humar. Ranger. My mag hasn't evolved yet. Yesterday I played through the 3 volcano levels for the first time. I have no interesting rares.

There, you know everything there is to know about me in PSO2. I don't know what else to say... without perhaps starting a discussion topic on something specific I would like to learn more about, but that isn't safe to do in these parts....

Sorry folks, I'm just venting I guess. I was really excited to return to this site after being away for 5 years for PSO2, but I find myself disappointed with what I found.
    Last edited by zemog; Aug 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
    Darichian
    Ranger (Main)
    Ship 2, block 20/21

Quote Originally Posted by zemog View Post
    So since people on this board are tired of the same questions being asked over and over and over... I'm sure over the period of many months, anger is the natural reaction.

But these people should also be thankful that their community is trying to grow, and these new people are not familiar with the advanced search tools that the board may offer... or that their question is indeed not new, but is actually something asked many months ago and repeatedly afterwards.

I wanted to be part of this community, but there is simply too much anger. I'm literally scared to ask any questions at all at this point. I don't see how I can gain a sense of community here and make friends when everyone just wants you to help yourself, and they don't seem to want new people to join them.

I want to talk about this game openly, as I love chat boards (I spend more time on chat boards than playing games), but I feel I must become an expert of the game and discover what people actually TALK about here, before I can become part of this community. So... yah... I guess it isn't going to happen.
    Start uploading music. That's what I did.

Nah, but seriously, being a part of this community is becoming harder and harder to do, because people love to bash others and start arguments for seemingly no reason. I mostly just ignore the haters, unless someone brings up a good point, at which point, you shouldn't hate back. Instead, turn it into a heated and intelligent debate. That way, even if you lose the argument, you come out a little more respected.

I've definitely had my fair share of arguments with other forum members, it's just something that I don't think can be avoided here. To me, it seems like the only way to be known as a member of this community is to give something. In my case, it would be the PSO 2 music that I upload to YouTube. There was also a thread I made months ago that eventually got derailed because of some stupid sexist war. That probably got me a little more attention than I wanted. In Rock Eastwood's case, it's probably his art and social skills. In Big Olaf's case, it's most likely due to the fact that his in-game character is all blue and has giant tits. Have you seen those things? They have their own gravitational pull.

Anyway, just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be a part of this community in no time. Participate in conversations, get your opinion out there, and all that other fun stuff. Oh, and don't feed the trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Even I can't stand reading a lot of the topics around here these days because it seems everyone has a stick up their ass about something and either can't just be helpful or discuss anything in a non-argumentative manner.
    Seriously. I don't mind if people have opinions, but I barely post around here because if god forbid I have one different from somebody else, I'll more than likely end up in a 10 page argument that I don't really feel like being in. It's not even that I'm afraid, I just don't feel like engaging in a stupid argument that half the time doesn't have an actual answer. Thus I'm reduced to lurking.
    PSO2:
    Kirukia/Mistral
    Ship 2
    Gun Valkyrie

Oh, I figured that based on your registration date, you'd seen another thread with someone insulting someone else for not googling every single question they had, and were just making a statement about some people's hostility to new or uninformed players. I didn't realize you actually meant it.

Just ask anyway. There's a quick questions/quick answers thread that's great. Lots of "stupid" questions in there, I even ask some myself. You can make a new thread, if it's as useless as some people will say then it'll sink after it's answered. There's class threads (meant for skill trees, but they've more become the general class discussion threads) in the PSO2 gameplay, guides, and walkthroughs section.

Ignore the haters.

Quote Originally Posted by UnLucky View Post
    Searching within threads is super useful.

Back in my day, such a thing didn't exist. We read hundreds of pages of backlogs at 28.8kbps both ways and we liked it
    You don't even need to do that, as long as it's above 3 letters for the word then you can search for things by topic or even have them display the posts. Search (and bumped) are your best friends really when it comes to questions about PSO2 anyway.

And idk, I've been here since 2003? I guess if you join in with video projects and meet-ups then that'd probably help you feel more like you're a part of something. Joining a team is always a good idea too.

I would also like this place to become a lot less angry and confrontational. But, before anyone jumps on my back, yes, I know sometimes I'm not exactly being part of solution, but I try my hardest quite often with what I'm given to work with.

I just want a place where people can be calm, collected, friendly, and respectful to each other without resorting to name-calling, needless arguing, or "calling people out" for stupid, petty reasons that don't even have anything to do with the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    I'm merely taking an active stance in trying to quell a bit of the toxic attitudes a lot of people post with around here. Whether happens, if anything, to people that simply don't have a kind word for anyone, at least I'm not sitting around on the forum bitching about it. I took it to the guys in charge. It's in their court now to try and get a rein or two in place on these kinds of confrontational posters.
    I hope one of them responds with at least an acknowledgment of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkmaster View Post
    In Big Olaf's case, it's most likely due to the fact that his in-game character is all blue and has giant tits. Have you seen those things? They have their own gravitational pull.
    Well, I mean, I don't really do anything for the community, though I wish I could, honestly. But, uh.....I....uh....right.

Oh, and don't feed the trolls.
    I really need to start doing this. Actually, there are a lot of people who do. This little sentence right here, when obeyed, would solve a good chunk of this forum's problems.