XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX XxGoregrinderxX's Avatar

Default Whats weapons/skills do u use as a Vanguard?

Hey.

After maxing out the hunter and ranger class with my class i decided to play as a vanguard.
    But i dont know what skills and weapons i should use so i need your help.
    Pls tell me what u use

Burst Bomber, PP Escape Save and Defense Up skills, 4x EX Stun traps and 4x EX Burn traps. I use a protect ability too, Freeze Protect I think.

Mainly as a Vanguard I would use Twin Claws, but Twin Sabers are good too. A rod is also handy so you can use Resta, Deband, Shifta and Zalure.

For finishing chains I like axes, but swords are great too.

Stacking Legs modules on armour is also a good idea, since Vanguards lack defence but have good evasion which if boosted can result in enemies hitting for 0 damage. I tend to use 2 Perpa/Legs along with Sleep Resist and Stun Resist.
    Last edited by Mr Fwibbles; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: needs paragraphs
    Working on the PSP2i fan translation with JamRules and the gang.

Swords and Axe sucks in psp2
    Retired but still da best!!!! *^*

I play a Vanguard, my first character, and I think it's hella fun. You probably shouldn't take any of what I say as advice, other than I think that you can pretty much play however you want and still be successful.

I use twin daggers, twin handguns, handguns, daggers, whips, and wand/techmag (been thinking about grenades lately...). I build up combos quickly and use the dark mirage blast to help with that. My main disadvantage is that players who break combos too early pretty much gimp my dps because of the weapons I use... I can, of course, dole out a lot of damage with traps (I carry all of the ones I am able to use).

The EVA boost from twin daggers and twin handguns is quite handy, as is the ACC bonus when a handgun and dagger are equipped together. I do stack legs on my armor, but use stamina modules instead of resist modules; also, because of my low level I keep hit modules on hand for use in really high level S-ranked missions (above level 165 or so). For skills, I usually use Burst Bomber, HP Boost, PP Escape Save, HP Restore Rate, Damage Resist, and STA Boost.

I do end up in a support role in a lot of parties (buffing, healing, etc.), especially with high level hunters around, but that's okay with me. When Forces are with me, I play a lot more aggressively and let them handle the buffing/debuffing since they can cast lvl 30 techs.

And that's how I roll. I think I perform decently. The only criticism I really seem to get is that occasionally, high level players will think I'm too slow with my dps. I have a partner who plays a level 111 HU (my VA is level 106 at the moment) and we regularly two-man S-ranked open missions with enemies level 165+... granted, he has completed the challenges and his having those weapons sure does help...

Oh, and the group I run with and myself are all legit.

In the end, this is a game, so the most important thing is that you have fun, right?
    Last edited by punkrockjustin; Aug 17, 2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typographical errors
    PSPo2:
    Raederle, F Human LVL125 // VA26
    Questing for:
    Vish Las Gavrecon // Diabolic Embrace // Kamui // Twin Kamui

Generally playing from about 8pm till ??? US Mountain Time ...and other random times

Stamina modules are useless...

maybe i should post the weapons, armors, modules skills and abilitys i use
    you dont have to do this!

Weapons:
    Twin sabers(Sangeyasha, Twin cannon, Hyakka Ryouran, Demons Devastation; Eternal Dimensions will do a good job...maybe Ikotenyoku too)
    PA: Blade Destruction, Assault crush

Spears: Cho Hee(80% element Spear)
    PA: Dus Skadd

Twin Dagger: Lavis Blades, Twin Kamui, Tumikiri Hyori(elemental hit+Incap lv4 ftw)
    PA: Tumikiri Hyori: Renkai blablbabla
    other Tdaggers: Soujin Ranbu-Shu

Knuckles and Twin claws are probably good too but i dont like em

Rifle for Dark Falz and De Ro Le
    twin handguns are good for chaining...but i never used them since Twin sabers
    chain fast too and do more damage

Rods: EcoEco stick(code), Psycho Wand
    Resta, Giresta, Shifta, Deband, Zalure, Jellen
    never used Zalure or Jellen because it doesnt work 100% like in infinity

Armor:
    any Yiel Armor
    Rabol Cesta(Set bonus with Twin Cannon and Lavis Blades)
    Bugei Senba(Set bonus with Sangeyasha and Twin Kamui...+240atk OP)
    Rabol Gera, Gera Senba, Gerald weave, Feril Weave, Feril Weave and Feri Senba will do a good job too

Modules
    Feril Power
    Feril Hit
    Feril Legs(since your a cast...no)
    Schock Resist
    Freeze Resist
    Sleep Resist
    Stun Resist
    Anti up
    Anti down

SUV:
    1.Starlight Cluster
    2.Exusia Fluge
    3.Eternal Cataract
    i just like the cluster damage on some bosses like orga Angelus/anastasis and Dark Falz

Mirage Blast:
    Landslide impact (best damage)
    Storm Flash(for the ones you cant hit with the earth mirage)
    (of course im not talking about infinity!)

Abilitys:
    Freeze, Stun, Zalure, schock and sleep protect are useful
    Elemental Hit(INCAP works alot better)
    Full Custom Power
    Critical hit
    PP skill save, PP booost and pp hight boost if your using hyakka ryouran(Blade destruction) as a male Cast
    PP escape save
    any weapon advance and strike ability
    Burst Bomber(!)
    ATK, ACC and EVA boost/high boost
    Damage Resist(probably useful at low levels...never used this lol)
    EXP boost(if your not lv 200)

there are some more useful abilitys but cant remember '

i think i forgot soooooooo many stuff...but idc
    all i can say is that i played it now about 2 years and mainly Vanguard
    its pretty funny as Beast if you use Bugei senba+Sangeyasha+nearly Max Eva
    awesome damage, no ACC problems and not getting hit by the most enemies
    Last edited by Syncesta; Aug 18, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
    Retired but still da best!!!! *^*

I don't remember the exact abilities but they were probably along the lines of Hi-Boosts for evasion, Elemental Hit, Burst Bomber. and Full charge shot. As for weapons I mostly liked using Twin Daggers and Double Sabers. Had Twin Pistols for enemies I didn't like being close to or just to keep my distance. Used rifles for bosses. And always stayed with a rod for Shifta, Deband, Resta, and Zalure. Didn't use GiResta since popping a sol was so much faster. I liked using the crossbow/dagger combo but lack of getting higher level crossbows kept me from using it more

As for mods I use legs for the EVA boosts and I keep a stun/sleep/freeze protect for missions where those effects pop up. Loved stacking EVA on my newm

What kind of weapons and abilities you use really depends heavily on your race. I roll with a Newman vanguard mainly and the way he plays as a vanguard is very different than a cast (which I'm assuming that is the character you're asking about judging by your sig). As a cast vanguard you pretty much are wasting your time trying to focus on EVD even as a vanguard as casts have terrible evasion stats. Cast vanguards work best as ranger/hunter hybrids due to there amazing attack power and accuracy. As far as weapons go I would roll with rifles for boss sniping, laser cannons for distance crowd control, twin handguns for distance combo building, twin sabers for close range comboing and blade destruction, spears with dus skadd for combo breaking, and of course rods for buffs and healing. Any of the more powerful weapon types work well though, I'm also a huge fan of knuckles, twin claws, and shotguns for status infliction. As far as abilities go, I like to stick on status protect module mainly (freeze and stun protect definitely, also sleep for certain missions otherwise an accuracy module for the third slot and of course your SUV module). Burst bomber is a must as vanguard are the main trap users, and I also love dodge saver (the one that saves PP for dodging) and pp high boost for more gun spam. Anything left I use the weapon strike abilities to increase the damage output for the weapons I use the most. Lastly like everyone said, don't forget to have fun and experiment with what you like best
    PSP2:
    Irving Lv.167 M-Newman H:16 R:8 F:15 V:30
    Eilie Lv.51 F-Beast H:4 R:1 F:1 V:5