Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standing snipe

Quit, hobbies are studyin Udonge's Avatar

Default Standing snipe

How exactly does it work? It says that you get a damage bonus if you stand still. Does that mean you can use PAs and still get the damage bonus as long as you don't move? Does shooting in the air (because you are stationary while shooting) count as standing still? Does this skill apply to launchers as well? Also would this skill be a better choice than r-atk boosts?
    Last edited by Udonge; Aug 23, 2012 at 06:03 AM.

Shooting in the air doesn't count as standing still.
    It being better than the r-atk boosts is completely up to the ranger..

Indeed, coatl is right, If you are jumping in place, you will NOT get the bonus for jumping. As far as it being better than the R-attack boosts though, Coatl is wrong, at least partially. Standing snipe is a percentage based boost. With it being a percentage boost, that means it will scale the damage with your level, and thus in the long run will result in more damage. As far as HOW much more though, that we do not know as we do not have the complete damage formula ATM.

Also the boost does apply to launchers.
    So now you have to pick between mobility and raw power.

Standing Snipe imo isn't worth it.

Sure you get a percentage based increase but according to the skill calculator, at level 10, you get an extra 15% which to me doesn't sound like much of a boost. Not only that, you must stand still and shoot, not a good thing since you want to be on the move; even if you have a launcher you want to be able to evade attacks in a moments notice plus it's easier to jump shoot with the launcher (fire a bit faster/standing animation is slow).

Taking that into consideration, there will hardly be times where you can just stay afar and shoot. If anything, it's better to spend those skill points on something like Weak Hit Advance. It boosts damage to weak areas by 25% and there are 2 WHA on the Ranger tree so that's a max of +50% damage which is great especially since you'd want to aim for those areas anyway.

I would assume SS works with ARs, Launchers and Gunslashes but so does WHA. As for SS being better than R-ATK up, my opinion on this is no, then again, R-ATK up is a static boost of 50 (no percent, just 50) at max level plus another R-ATK up for a total of 100 R-ATK so get it if you feel like it.

With all of that said, I guess it depends on your play style but for myself, I wouldn't be able to use SS enough to justify putting any points into it. If anyone can argue in favor of SS, I'm all ears.

Well the thing is, we don't know HOW bonuses stack in this game. My best theory on what I observe is that it is multiplicative. If that is indeed the case, you are talking somewhere around the range of a 64% boost in damage with both WSA maxed and even a level 5 Standing snipe (1.25*1.25*1.05) This would obviously be on top of the innate damage increase you get for hitting a weak spot. So I still stand by suggestion at least dabbing in Standing snipe.

Standing snipe works with sneak shooter. (according to JP wiki)
    So if you main in rifle, the damage boosts probably will help a lot with WHA.

Quote Originally Posted by lagnarok View Post
    Standing snipe works with sneak shooter. (according to JP wiki)
    So if you main in rifle, the damage boosts probably will help a lot with WHA.
    Even if you crawl/"sneak" during Sneak Shooter? Not that I do that, I just want to know. If it works with Sneak, then I'd consider SS. I used the Skill calc and without doing the quest to get extra SP, at level 40, you can get both WHAs and SS maxed out and Weak Bullet set to level 3; I wish we got more points to use other skills too but I guess it can wait for the time being. So with Sneak, you can deal an extra 65% damage on weak spots. I still can't see using SS myself though, I've been using the AR a bit more lately but I switch to the launcher and I almost always jump first before launching.

Quote Originally Posted by doomdragon83 View Post
    Standing Snipe imo isn't worth it.

Sure you get a percentage based increase but according to the skill calculator, at level 10, you get an extra 15% which to me doesn't sound like much of a boost. Not only that, you must stand still and shoot, not a good thing since you want to be on the move; even if you have a launcher you want to be able to evade attacks in a moments notice plus it's easier to jump shoot with the launcher (fire a bit faster/standing animation is slow).

Taking that into consideration, there will hardly be times where you can just stay afar and shoot. If anything, it's better to spend those skill points on something like Weak Hit Advance. It boosts damage to weak areas by 25% and there are 2 WHA on the Ranger tree so that's a max of +50% damage which is great especially since you'd want to aim for those areas anyway.

I would assume SS works with ARs, Launchers and Gunslashes but so does WHA. As for SS being better than R-ATK up, my opinion on this is no, then again, R-ATK up is a static boost of 50 (no percent, just 50) at max level plus another R-ATK up for a total of 100 R-ATK so get it if you feel like it.

With all of that said, I guess it depends on your play style but for myself, I wouldn't be able to use SS enough to justify putting any points into it. If anyone can argue in favor of SS, I'm all ears.
    agreed, with the level cap as low as it is, i went for r-atk and r-def along with standards like weakbullet+^_^+ WHA was the last thing i worked on before hitting cap, after level cap goes up though, a static boost of 100 r-atk isn't going to be much in the long run (talking 6 months-1 year from now) at which point percentage based stat boosts will trump r-atk up, of course by then, they will have new classes with their own skill trees making basic ranger a class for low levels to be set aside in favor of something stronger+^_^+ also, read somewhere dataminers think that new RA classes are going to need ranger at 30+ to switch to+^_^+

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    agreed, with the level cap as low as it is, i went for r-atk and r-def along with standards like weakbullet+^_^+ WHA was the last thing i worked on before hitting cap, after level cap goes up though, a static boost of 100 r-atk isn't going to be much in the long run (talking 6 months-1 year from now) at which point percentage based stat boosts will trump r-atk up, of course by then, they will have new classes with their own skill trees making basic ranger a class for low levels to be set aside in favor of something stronger+^_^+ also, read somewhere dataminers think that new RA classes are going to need ranger at 30+ to switch to+^_^+

I don't think the new RA/gunner sub-class will necessarily be stronger than the current Ranger class. After all, apparently the sub-class will sacrifice the availability of the launcher for twin Mechas, and the Twin Mechas will have to be pretty damn good to replace the launchers.