Page 37 of 199 FirstFirst ... 27343536373839404787137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma View Post
    Will you guys please say it right? It's PP Restorate, not Restraint. It restores PP, hence the name.
    I'm only saying Restraint because it's what's labeled on the Skill Tree everyone here uses. From past experience people get confused when you call things what they actually are. Like when I say I'm going to the Iceberg area. Even though Story 2 writes ICEBERG in English in giant letters on your screen, people are adamant about calling it Tundra.
    How can I possibly put a new idea into your heads, if I do not first remove your delusions?

Quote Originally Posted by Slidikins View Post
    I'm only saying Restraint because it's what's labeled on the Skill Tree everyone here uses. From past experience people get confused when you call things what they actually are. Like when I say I'm going to the Iceberg area. Even though Story 2 writes ICEBERG in English in giant letters on your screen, people are adamant about calling it Tundra.
    You can call it whatever you want, but if you choose to knowingly call it the opposite of what it is, that is just stupid. Do the meanings of words matter at all to you? We wouldn't be able to communicate unless our words had meanings, you know? The game itself calls it restorate. The word restraint is not just a bad translation, it is the opposite meaning.

As for Tundra or Iceberg, the game itself calls it Iceberg, like you said. Even though it's not actually an iceberg at all. >_> However, at least Tundra is close in meaning, and arguably a better translation than Iceberg. You wouldn't call it Volcano, would you?

If you really want to be correct and use the Japanese name for Iceberg, since that's what all of the Japanese call it:

凍土
    Toudo

It literally means Frozen Soil.
    Quit PSO2

You can call it whatever you want, but if you choose to knowingly call it the opposite of what it is, that is just stupid. Do the meanings of words matter at all to you? We wouldn't be able to communicate unless our words had meanings, you know? The game itself calls it restorate. The word restraint is not just a bad translation, it is the opposite meaning.

As for Tundra or Iceberg, the game itself calls it Iceberg, like you said. Even though it's not actually an iceberg at all. >_> However, at least Tundra is close in meaning, and arguably a better translation than Iceberg. You wouldn't call it Volcano, would you?

If you really want to be correct and use the Japanese name for Iceberg, since that's what all of the Japanese call it:

凍土
    Toudo

You have no appreciation for excellent engrish......... >_>

Also it's not that big of a deal. We all know what it means and when he said it... Lot's of people use it and it's on most of all the translations.

it's not like that word is going to come out and strangle you ... <.<
    rawr! =^~^=

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Frozen Soil? You mean, like a tundra? Where the soil is permanently frozen, preventing plant life from growing past a few inches? I thought we just called it Tundra because it sounded cool, but I didn't know we had a translational reason for it.

Really, neither name seems correct. A tundra is a flatland, and not always iced over. But, an Iceberg is just a block of ice. It looks more like a frozen mountain to me, but "Frozen Mountain Zone" doesn't sound cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hentai_Kittie View Post
    You have no appreciation for excellent engrish......... >_>

Also it's not that big of a deal. We all know what it means and when he said it... Lot's of people use it and it's on most of all the translations.

it's not like that word is going to come out and strangle you ... <.<
    Perhaps not, but every time someone says it, God kills a kitten....

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbinder View Post

Spoiler!
    Totally going to continue saying it then~ Can anyone with PP Restraint / Restorate answer my original query?
    How can I possibly put a new idea into your heads, if I do not first remove your delusions?

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbinder View Post

Spoiler!
    *looks at username*
    I see what you did.......
    rawr! =^~^=

凍土
    Toudo

It's less to do with being individuals being wrong and more to do with everyone being wrong. It takes considerably less energy to call it what the community understands it to be.

See: lol. Very few people actually laugh out loud every time they say that. But, it's come to mean you just find something humorous, entertaining, or you just keep repeating it because you don't feel like chatting.

For now PP restraint is what people recognize a skill to be, a skill in a language they mostly can't read. The point is the skill, not the name. Last I checked it was actually tekuta-, now I don't speak japanese so I don't know the finer rules of reading it, but that sure isn't techer in my book but we call it techer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    It's less to do with being individuals being wrong and more to do with everyone being wrong. It takes considerably less energy to call it what the community understands it to be.

See: lol. Very few people actually laugh out loud every time they say that. But, it's come to mean you just find something humorous, entertaining, or you just keep repeating it because you don't feel like chatting.

For now PP restraint is what people recognize a skill to be, a skill in a language they mostly can't read. The point is the skill, not the name. Last I checked it was actually tekuta-, now I don't speak japanese so I don't know the finer rules of reading it, but that sure isn't techer in my book but we call it techer anyway.
    I'm sorry but that is a pathetic excuse. Everyone is wrong so that makes it OK? Reality and truth are not a popularity contest. It doesn't matter how many people think the world is flat. If it's round, it's round. If you live your life and base your decisions according to what most people think, you are doomed. It's very important to be open minded and think for yourself.

The truth is important to me. *shrugs*

And by the way, I call it Techter because that's what it's called. However, calling it Techer is at least very close, so it's not nearly as bad as other things. It will likely be called Techer in the official English version, for what it's worth.
    Quit PSO2

This isn't the truth, it's convenience. You'll have to inform every person you see of the difference (most of whom won't care, many of whom will keep calling it the wrong thing just to irritate you).

It takes a tremendous amount of energy and effort to convince people that the status quo is wrong. Right now the status quo is indeed wrong. You can go with the tide, or go against the tide. The easiest way to get everyone corrected is to fix it at the source - fix the skilltree and possibly the english patch. The issue will resolve itself for the most part. Some will keep calling it the wrong thing for this reason or that.

Correcting people in threads, though, yeah. You'll be met with people who don't really care.

If you're honestly trying to extrapolate how I live my life based on how much effort I'm willing to exert to correct people playing a foreign video game using the wrong word because it was mistranslated and that mistranslation was used in a couple prominently used resources you desperately need to rethink just how you evaluate the importance of things in life. Choose your battles wisely, there's essentially nothing to be gained by being right on the internet.