Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer View Post
    I aspire to be a programer when im older, I tried teaching myself like some people can but i think having a teacher would be abit easier for me.
    Why wait until you're older? I started "programming" when I was 8 years old with LOGO. By the time I was 11 I was competent in most languages used on the web at that point (html, java script, php, a bit of css. By 15 I was well versed in object-oriented languages and at 18 I went to school for CompSci.

Gloating aside, if you want to be a programmer just choose a language, find a book, Google up tutorials, jump into it, whatever. It's nothing you can't pick up at any age. Now, I know you said you tried that before and you need a teacher, which is why I suggest tutorials. Web design was a good start for me; I could find webpages I liked, open the source, and figure out how they did what they did. By the time I moved to actual programming I had a good foundation to start learning other concepts.

After you get started in a language, challenge yourself a bit with Google's Code Jam assignments. I'm sure each of them will push you to learn more.
    How can I possibly put a new idea into your heads, if I do not first remove your delusions?

Quote Originally Posted by Slidikins View Post
    Why wait until you're older? I started "programming" when I was 8 years old with LOGO. By the time I was 11 I was competent in most languages used on the web at that point (html, java script, php, a bit of css. By 15 I was well versed in object-oriented languages and at 18 I went to school for CompSci.

Gloating aside, if you want to be a programmer just choose a language, find a book, Google up tutorials, jump into it, whatever. It's nothing you can't pick up at any age. Now, I know you said you tried that before and you need a teacher, which is why I suggest tutorials. Web design was a good start for me; I could find webpages I liked, open the source, and figure out how they did what they did. By the time I moved to actual programming I had a good foundation to start learning other concepts.

After you get started in a language, challenge yourself a bit with Google's Code Jam assignments. I'm sure each of them will push you to learn more.
    i know its not a matter of doing it, its just a matter of where to start.. but thats the whole issue really. I've tried tutorials (online) and they didnt seem to help much. Im not sure if its just the author of it or what but It didnt "click" with me.

Its one thing to learn how to do something, teaching it is a different story.
    I got pretty far in this C++ tutorial (http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/lesson1.html) ..but once I got to "Loops" my mind started asking to many questions. If I dont fully understand something I'll go nuts until I do x- x
    Thanks for your support though.. guess i need to keep looking :/
    My minds telling me that im just missing this really obvious step to jump into programing, while a part of me knows there isnt one.

Its just rather depressing hearing people younger then me (not that there is anything wrong with that) learning "my dream" while im stuck in a corner trying to figure out where to start.
    Last edited by DayDreamer; Sep 26, 2012 at 01:38 PM.