Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Hawk View Post
    More like the other way around. I loved ME1. ME2 was a god awful mess and ME3 was just worse. Especially with the added and 100% non-needed, pointless and crappy multiplayer.

After ME 2&3 as well as DA 2, EA needs to put the games back into the hands of devs that care and actually know how to make a game. Not ones that make games that suck up to the whining kids of todays gaming world.

AND STOP MAKING GAMES THAT ARE RIDICULOUSLY EASY FOR THE SAKE OF THE IDIOT GAMER THAT HAS NO PATIENCE TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY!
    While the 'streamlining' of a number of systems in ME2 is surely debatable, the inventory system in ME1 is inexorably cumbersome. I missed the Mako a little in ME2, as it added a feel of exploring space. However, it really was just dozens of palette swapped square grids of barren wasteland strewn throughout to game to create a veneer of adventure.

EA has a fairly consistent history of purchasing a developer and driving them into the ground. Their commitment to MP in every game is discouraging, but I've been able to safely ignore them until now. Co-op in Dead Space 3 and some as yet undescribed MP mode in Dragon Age 3 have me concerned though.

Mass Effect, brilliant, fun game with a great story. Gameplay wasn't perfect, but the exploration factor made up for that in spades. It was the first game to give me the feeling of massive scale that I had last felt in Half-Life and the scale of Black Mesa. Difference being in Mass Effect I could actually explore that space, and that was something I had been chomping at the bit for since I was a child watching TNG and Star Wars. Mass Effect 2 improved gameplay and interface, but story went down and exploration disappeared in favor of grinding for resources. Oh, and every single character had daddy issues. Every. Single. One. Why they felt the need to give everyone family drama versus the more varied issues of politics, religion, culture, and race of the first is confusing. And Mass Effect 3 decided to throw out the years worth of canon out the window in favor of three different colors of explosions that all pretty much bone the galaxy in the end.

One of the issues I had with Mass Effect's narrative is that they revealed too much about the Reapers, how they work, and their history. Just as magic tricks are only really impressive until you know how they work, when you pull back the curtain on villains like the Reapers, they no longer become all that threatening. It ends up transforming them from mysterious and malevolent forces of nature into just another run of the mill super-powered sci-fi villain. It's much harder to maintain suspense, and ends up just a "thrill ride" while you play scavenger hunt and look for a weakness to exploit. Even so, it still could have been a fairly decent story overall, but that was ruined at the end when they just get lazy and copped out with a deus ex machina via the architect... er, excuse me... "The Catalyst".

The whole thing just feels like special pleading, touched with an anthropocentric conceit since it was us "humans" and our non-reaper based technology that wedged the door to victory open. It would have been a more compelling narrative if the humans role in ME mirrored what our role in the actual universe is... insignificance, and ME explored the ways in which the characters coped with being faced by that insignificance while desperately searching for a way to survive or delay the storm.

I wouldn't have minded a scenario in which the game ended with the galaxy being wrecked, and the heroes sole achievement being the ensured survival of a few pockets of civilization. At least then the Reapers would have lived up to their reputation established in the first game, rather than waiting and spending most of the third game fucking around and straightening out everybody else's bullshit problems in order to build an armada mid-apocalypse since we're already apparently just a few upgrades away from being able to put up a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkommando View Post
    Oh, and every single character had daddy issues. Every. Single. One. Why they felt the need to give everyone family drama versus the more varied issues of politics, religion, culture, and race of the first is confusing.
    Mordin Solus was a very welcomed exception to this. I loved his character, but I wasn't really convinced by his apparently sudden change of heart concerning the ethics of the genophage in ME3.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Sep 27, 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Flying high in the sky with a fly in your eye.

http://www.gamefront.com/surprise-th...clude-all-dlc/

Reasons NOT to buy the trilogy now.
    'All tales end in tragedy. Follow the hero long enough, you'll step across his corpse.'
    Survivor of TWO live Gwar performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-Hawk View Post
    http://www.gamefront.com/surprise-th...clude-all-dlc/

Reasons NOT to buy the trilogy now.
    It is literally just a repackaging of the discs that you can buy separately to try and make some more sales in time for the holidays. That's all it is.

If you didn't already own the games and you wanted to buy them, then get the trilogy package! It's pretty much the exact same thing as just buying each game separately, except you get a special case with it.

I had a feeling they were gonna milk something out of this trilogy, looks like that's the way to do it. Typical EA. Why would miss the chance to milk the player base (especially the PS3 players), by making them pay for more DLC, which should just be in the game regardless. And I anticipated they would do this with ME1 since it was never on a Sony platform.
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyreek View Post
    I had a feeling they were gonna milk something out of this trilogy, looks like that's the way to do it. Typical EA. Why would miss the chance to milk the player base (especially the PS3 players), by making them pay for more DLC, which should just be in the game regardless. And I anticipated they would do this with ME1 since it was never on a Sony platform.
    I mean... again: as far as PC and Xbox are concerned they're just putting the game back in print, but in one package instead of individual SKUs. Nothing more.

Dunno if anyone still plays ME3 multiplayer but they came out with another free DLC.
    http://blog.bioware.com/2012/10/04/m...ltiplayer-dlc/

The volus are playable and the rage from the lore nerds is hilarious

Update on the PS3 version. Thanks to some cool people, they got ME1 into development, with some different coding. And now its ready for manufacturing. The PS3 version is dated for December 4th. ME1 will come with Bring Down the Sky. ME2 will come with everything the PS3 version was bundled with. ME3 gets... Online lol.

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/11/01/r...ffect-trilogy/

It runs "pretty damn well" he says. lol Entertaining read.

Edit: And can someone fill me in on the consensus around why people hate having the series on PS3? Its sounds like a case of console war to me.
    Last edited by Tyreek; Nov 1, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
    Remembering the Universe. Click below!