Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Resident Evil 6

I picked this up yesterday. The demo didn't bother me, and my RE 5 co-op buddy was looking forward to it, as well. When RE 5 was released, we played through the entire game in one sitting. Last night, we got through Chapter 1 of the Leon campaign and decided to call it a night.

I loved Resident Evil 5, but the controls were terrible. They somehow made them even worse with RE 6. I can't believe Capcom would treat one of their major franchises with such disrespect.

One of the nice things about the game is its graphics. Capcom must have had their "good team" (for lack of a better phrase) working with the graphics/art and their "not so good team" working on the everything-else.

Some of the mechanics are so clunky and out-dated that I'm honestly surprised that this is a 2012, contemporary video game. I shouldn't have to think about going into cover and I shouldn't have to pick up experience points after killing an enemy.

I'll definitely finish all four campaigns, and possibly enjoy it, but I'll think twice before buying Resident Evil 7. My suggestion to Capcom would be to outsource the numbered RE series to a more competent developer. It worked for Dead Rising 2. It can work again if they pick a quality developer.

EDIT: Unrelated to gameplay, this game has one of the ugliest cover arts ever.
    Last edited by joefro; Oct 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Nothing is sacred. Not that it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by joefro View Post
    EDIT: Unrelated to gameplay, this game has one of the ugliest cover arts ever.
    I can't unsee the giraffe I saw within it. :T

My pre-order arrived of this on release day (despite that it wasn't supposed to arrive for another 2-6 days, but I'm not complaining). Unfortunately, I only had time to play two chapters of Leon's campaign before I had to start packing for a trip.

Playing on Professional actually feels right - it's not this "OHKO everywhere" stuff you see in a lot of games with the standard four-tier gamut of difficulty levels (which are, from easiest to hardest: Reviewer, Fun, Balanced, Not Fun). It's refreshing, that the highest difficulty feels right and well-balanced. The controls are really quite good once you get used to how different they are from RE5 (which was also a great game), and the new actions you can do, like dodge-rolling manually, sliding on the ground and stealth kills, are all a lot of fun, are very useful, and feel very rewarding to pull off, just in that visceral feedback.

Professional mode makes individual combat segments feel very tense, which I really like. It doesn't feel like I'm blazing through enemies, and they're actually a threat, so you still need to be really careful around them. That kind of tension, especially when you get separated from your partner, actually makes for a really good game experience. I really, really enjoyed what I was able to play of it.

And really, I can't wait to get to a point where I can pick up the game and play some more. So yeah, first impressions are very good from me.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by joefro View Post
    I shouldn't have to pick up experience points after killing an enemy.
    Normally, I would dive into a long diatribe about how this is almost empirically negligent game design, but the words just aren't coming. You've made me speechless Capcom.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    Normally, I would dive into a long diatribe about how this is almost empirically negligent game design, but the words just aren't coming. You've made me speechless Capcom.
    I can almost guarantee that this is how it happened:

Originally, they had you collecting money after enemies died a la RE4 and RE5. You would then use that money to upgrade your skills.

Somebody said, "Hey, why would you use money to upgrade skills? Just rename it to 'experience points' and we'll be good."

And then nobody pointed out that gamers are okay with picking up money, but they are in no way okay with picking up experience points.

It bothers me too, even if it's almost exactly the same thing as what we saw in the previous two games. If they just called it 'gold', I imagine people would complain less.

Got my copy yesterday and I really like it. Very fun game.

The new controls are great, just gotta practice a bit and get used to them.

Can't wait to try Agent Hunt Mode and mess up other people games!

Edit: Capcom will be releasing a free update that lets you play Ada’s campaign with a friend. The update will also make her campaign available from the very beginning of the game, so you won’t need to unlock it in order to play it.

Another incoming free update will add a No Hope difficulty mode.
    Last edited by Shinji Kazuya; Oct 12, 2012 at 05:12 AM.

Rented this game, and enjoyed it. Although I didn't get to try out the online modes. Campaign felt alright, even with several QTE's that love to appear. Even taking on Ada's mission is something else for RE fans to really jump into.

I actually feel pretty good about RE6.

Only campain I liked was Ada's. Idk it just feels like the old RE series where you just go solo/alone instead of having either a AI or another player to tag along with you.
    Elsword Online Characters NA: