Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil 6

Probably gonna be the first numbered Resident Evil series that I'm gonna skip. Still playing the crap out of Dark Souls and Battlefield 3.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Game companies want you to complete games these days, and they want you to do it in relatively short order most of the time so you can go out next week and buy another one.
    Er, I was under the impression that game companies are trying their damnedest to keep you from beating their games - or at least, keep you interested in it long after you've beaten them with unlockable content and DLC. The idea being that the longer it sits on your shelf at home, the longer it stays out of the hands of GameStop and other used game retail chains. They don't get a cut of the sales off used titles, so from their perspective it's essentially no different than piracy.

Besides, if you beat a game and immediately go out and buy a new one, where's the slightest inclination that the next game you purchase will come from them? Once they have your sale, wouldn't it be in their best interest to inhibit you from buying more games? Even if they don't profit, they keep the profits of other firms down - which makes it easier to compete against them.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

especially considering good games can take years to develop, if a company made a game that the player got bored of within a week and demanded more, the dev wouldn't be able to provide, yes they want you to buy more games, but they want you happy long enough so they can make another that's decent enough to sell+^_^+ all in all, the Demo for RE6 doesn't feel right to me, little things that were in past games that are gone just take some of the depth away, also, it's too gadget heavy as well, holographic phones? weird flashlight map projectors? also, what happened to getting lost and all the little items and areas that were just creepy environments? even in 5, there were tables and shelves and things you could click on to get what your character was thinking about looking at those things, missing in RE6 demo, as Leon i found some blue disc artifact thing in a desk and other then looking at it, it had no interactivity+^_^+ gone in RE6 demo, also, ammo, i remember even in RE4, ammo was something precious, in RE6 demo, i ended each part with a godly amount of bullets, just sort of took the "Do i shoot? or should i knife in case there's something bigger around the corner?" thought out of my head+^_^+ last gripe, too fast paced, with very linear paths between cut-scenes, seems Capcom wants most of the depth restricted to just the cut-scenes now+^_^+ I'll still play it, have a load of fun, and maybe buy it, but i don't think i'll get the same RE feeling i got from previous titles+^_^+

/ramble

Quote Originally Posted by AC9breaker View Post
    Probably gonna be the first numbered Resident Evil series that I'm gonna skip. Still playing the crap out of Dark Souls and Battlefield 3.
    Yeah, it is a very weird feeling. I guess now is probably as good a time as ever to get Revelations, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    as Leon i found some blue disc artifact thing in a desk and other then looking at it, it had no interactivity
    You shoot it. Just like the other random medals you would find in RE4 and RE5. Granted, they never actually explain it in the demo, but it's pretty similar to the previous two games.

I am all for Capcom experimenting with the Resident Evil series so long as they make something good and fun. I'm fine with a linear action game! RE5 is actually a blast to play!

That being said, I'm actually really itching for a new, non-linear RE game sit in a single large location. I'm telling you: they should hire somebody to make a digital download game heavily influenced by the gameplay and design of the original titles. For years I was ranting that Telltale could do a great job of it (after all, the old RE games are really just character-based adventure games with combat bolted on). Of course, now that they're making the Walking Dead, it kind of seems unlikely they'd do a Resident Evil game.
    Last edited by Outrider; Oct 2, 2012 at 02:13 AM.

The dumbed down for console / cod rip off stuff seems kinda silly to me considering a lot of games are influenced by half life 1 and 2. You know those heavily scripted pc games :P

That and COD started out back on pc and single player hasn't changed all that much its still mostly scenes from popular movies but playable.

Quote Originally Posted by .Rusty. View Post
    The dumbed down for console / cod rip off stuff seems kinda silly to me considering a lot of games are influenced by half life 1 and 2. You know those heavily scripted pc games :P

That and COD started out back on pc and single player hasn't changed all that much its still mostly scenes from popular movies but playable.
    The uncomfortable truth that a lot of PC gamers don't like to admit is that a lot of times when a game is streamlined (or 'dumbed-down') for consoles, it makes the game <i>better</i> by cutting out a lot of the bloat. One of the most basic rules of game design is to allow the player to perform an action with as little complication as possible, which is something a lot of PC-centric developers seem to forget in their 30-key control schemes.

For instance, in Resident Evil 6, why would you need to pull the left trigger and then hit A/X to crouch behind a desk for cover? Why not just work with one button (either the left trigger <i>or</i> the A/X button) like every other game that has had a good cover system? Also, why are there so many steps for healing yourself? Why can't you just hold the heal button to take one pill after another? These kinds of poor designs are amateur-level.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    For instance, in Resident Evil 6, why would you need to pull the left trigger and then hit A/X to crouch behind a desk for cover? Why not just work with one button (either the left trigger <i>or</i> the A/X button) like every other game that has had a good cover system? Also, why are there so many steps for healing yourself? Why can't you just hold the heal button to take one pill after another? These kinds of poor designs are amateur-level.
    The RE series has a long standing legacy of inexplicably terrible controls. I'm a little confused why they would take the opportunity they have with this game to make certain actions more obtuse rather than less.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    The RE series has a long standing legacy of inexplicably terrible controls. I'm a little confused why they would take the opportunity they have with this game to make certain actions more obtuse rather than less.
    I feel like they made some deal with the devil during the Dreamcast era to get people to say Code: Veronica is a good game, but as a result they always have to have some super awkward control elements. Since players can now move when they aim their gun, Capcom had to counteract that by making the cover system and dodge-and-shoot system as obtuse as possible.

The thing that I find really weird is I think the cover mechanic used in the second half of RE5 worked better than this.

I was worried when they RE6 was announced so shortly before being released (and then they pushed up the release date, even). The more I hear about this game, the more it sounds like they just didn't put in the time/resources need to play test the game as much as they should have.

I can imagine that they had this super ambitious design for the game, and only when they actually had all the systems in place did they realize how awful it played. Instead of fixing or trashing certain elements, they shipped it. (Obviously, this imagined scenario is very much an oversimplification of what could really happen.) Still, I keep thinking of the story behind RE2, in which they scrapped months and months of work because the overall design wasn't working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    Still, I keep thinking of the story behind RE2, in which they scrapped months and months of work because the overall design wasn't working out.
    They did the same thing with 4 as well. They started over 4 times and one of the prototypes ended up becoming devil may cry. Capcom kinda just throw ideas at the wall until something sticks when it comes to resident evil

Quote Originally Posted by .Rusty. View Post
    They did the same thing with 4 as well. They started over 4 times and one of the prototypes ended up becoming devil may cry. Capcom kinda just throw ideas at the wall until something sticks when it comes to resident evil
    Oh yeah, duh. Not sure how I forgot that. If Capcom wasn't willing to throw out months of work, they never would have wound up with Devil May Cry! (Oh wait, I'm not sure if that would have been good or bad.)