Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Default Gunner.... An Advanced or Broken Class?

Gunner.....

This is a spoiler. Please only read if you have Gunner, or are fine with the risk of spoilage. Some like to know before they invest time, while others want to experience it for themselves. I respect both standpoints.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by ZcRaider; Oct 5, 2012 at 03:53 PM.

There's a Gunner discussion thread for this kind of thing.

As for Gunner itself, I feel that you have to treat Twin Mechgun playstyle like a melee class that happens to have a ranged normal attack. I don't find mobility to be a problem either. Dead Approach can be used as an air dash and Aerial Shooting is your replacement to Step Attack. You also get two separate evasive actions which is pretty absurd. As for Chain, you just have to be smart about it and not go for a ridiculous 50 Chain on a Dragon or whatever mobile enemy there is.

As melee classes are my favorite, I felt right at home with this class.
    Last edited by Dinosaur; Oct 5, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
    I stream PSO2! Please check out my channel when you have time~

twitch.tv/gmcustom

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

In my experience so far...

This just seems like a complicated joke class...

-Long ranged normal attack, but all your PAs melee attacks with "decent" damage.

-The slo-mo concept existing in general...

-A bunch of extremely useless skills except for like one or two and all the other just sound situational.

-The only real support to a party full of members than can kill 10 times faster than you soloing if they have to is that I can SE bosses easily...

And again with the PAs... I'd really would've prefer if this class was more "range" or at least since it's mechguns "mid-range" focused. all of the acrobatic stripper kicks just hurt my feelings. I'm mostly leveling this because I don't want to just go with fighter/hunter, and I already have another character for melee force. And I'm not interested in normal ranger in any way shape or form.

But I think this class can be decent as a sub.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

They're less like ranger and more like melee classes, as has been pointed out. Try playing hunter or fighter, then playing gunner the same way. The only differences are the range you can hit things at, the different dodges, lack of enemy flinch on JA, and no flinching when you hit a darker or sa/dinian shield. Also headshots. Pretty much, just the dodge, range, and R-ATK properties.

Also, Attack PP restore 10 with Rifle is really really nice
    I stream PSO2! Please check out my channel when you have time~

twitch.tv/gmcustom

pretty much what Dinosaur and gigawuts said..
    ive even switched my main class from Ranger to Gunner because its more fun..
    less effective of course, but its more fun and stylish.. XD
    what this class lacks is crowd control PA..
    i just can hope the new TMG PAs will have a decent CC..
    - digitalDreamer -

Been keeping up with this thread .

As far as other treads about this.....can you do me a favor and post a link next time you cite? Thanks for the tip tho, I try not to duplicate threads. Guess i missed the topic previously....

Pretty much have to agree with most of what everyone has said here. This class has a lot of potential. But is not really a "one-size-fits-all".... At least this is my opinion. I mean without a step-attack..you cant really rush. So you have bb-gun range, with normals. With melee attacks that are very very picky to land. Honestly, i Dont think there is ANY comparison to fighter. That double saber melts with its gear. And the Knuckles hit like a Truck with a Nos kit. Fighter you up and just get up in the grill and bring the fight to the enemy. MDK...thats what Fighter is. I dont really feel that with Gunner. With gunner i feel like im nitpicking with the enemy in a very stylish way. Chippin away, and hoping that one of my Harder Hitting PA's actually lands, in the middle of a coward that seems to always be backing away at the right time. Chip-n-run. You get in close...haha get ready to lose that mechgun gear you just built up to a random enemy.

Still, the class is fun!!! I plan to bring the best out of it . Tweak it like a Tuner Car. Should keep me busy getting it to 40. Hopefully by that time the subs will come out, and i can make a super awesome sub class with this. "Fighgunner" anyone? MWAHAHAHAH wtf...boom.
    Last edited by ZcRaider; Oct 5, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

Personally, I have to say that Gunner feels more like a planned extension of Fighter than a class of its own. Of course, that would make sense given that the combination of the two looks just like Fighgunner from PSU.

Gunner is the only class where its skills do not synergize in any way with its weapon choices (rather, weapon choice, in this case). The damage reset on the gear is just annoying, especially with poison or burn, the PP recharge does not matter much for machineguns, and the chain is far too annoying for a mere maximum of two seconds of 5x damage every minute. And once you compare the machinegun gear to any other gear or the chain trigger to the effective 30 seconds of 2x damage per minute and a half of weak bullet, it becomes even more infuriating. (Yes, you can get longer time with weak bullet, but at that point the PP drain becomes limiting unless you are in a party.)

When you think about the effect of say, the PP recharge while using any other weapon, the difference does start to become near the value of Weak Bullet, especially in melee classes. My main problem is that it is the only class that I could not give myself a reason to main in any case outside of combined with Ranger (and then it is really "do I want to use mechs or launcher?"). But infinite dagger air time is reason enough to subclass it.

EDIT:

Just for fun, I decided to do a bit of math and compare chain 100 at level 10 to a single weak bullet with the skill at 10. The single weak bullet allows you to do about 2.5x the amount of damage over the interval. That is, of course, in addition to the fact that it is at least 100 times easier to use a single weak bullet and switch to your favorite machinegun than to get a chain to 100.
    Last edited by Pillan; Oct 5, 2012 at 09:52 PM.

I tend to use my skills in two sets. First a 1v1 set which is...forget the name, but that skill where you kick the enemy into the air and then rush up to them if charged, then JA into satellite shot, and once again into dead approach. This does incredible damage to a single enemy and just looks so flashy. I love getting it perfectly. Then secondly I have a set up with 3 satellite shots. This is for big enemies that don't stagger, and bosses. Get a nice 20 chain and use satellite shot 5 times. That for me is a cool 10k damage right there. This class is really only suited for a melee range. Mid range if using that kick PA since it slides you across the screen a bit before kicking. Personally I just love this class.
    Last edited by Cortte; Oct 5, 2012 at 09:42 PM.

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out (too lazy to read everything) but regarding this statement:
    "-Triple dodging leaves you open for attack at the end of slow-mo"
    This does not apply if you perform the triple dodging MIDAIR, or more technically, if you allow enough falling space at the end of slow-mo. Alternatively you could just dodge cancel that lag phase, but you get a lag phase at the end of the dodge anyway...

I only know little about twin mech guns, as I just use an Ares Vis and I haven't unlocked the other 3 classes yet, but I felt like pointing that out.