Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Make sure to in the future to have the line art NOT on the background layer. Make sure it is its own floating layer that can be toggled on and off. There is a way to make a background layer line art become a line-art layer but it involves channels and its complicated. I can try and find that tutorial on DA..

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

死にてぇ奴だけ, かかってこい!! TetsuyaHikari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sayara View Post
    Make sure to in the future to have the line art NOT on the background layer. Make sure it is its own floating layer that can be toggled on and off. There is a way to make a background layer line art become a line-art layer but it involves channels and its complicated. I can try and find that tutorial on DA..
    How am I supposed to know which linearts are like that and which aren't? I just downloaded a few off of Pixiv and some were locked while others were not. Also, if that method is complicated, I doubt I'll understand it, lol.

I'm having enough trouble with shading. Talking about channels and all that goes over my head even more than shading does.

Link me the ones that you used, I'll figure it out and see if i can explain it to you. PM or whatever.
    EDIT: I pixiv, so you can link me them from the pixiv site.
    Last edited by Sayara; Oct 6, 2012 at 06:01 PM.

PM sent.

There is no shortcut to 'shading'. To be able to do shading is to understand 3-dimensional forms and how light interacts with those forms. You can start by practicing shading basic shapes like a sphere, cylinder, box, cone, etc.

In photoshop I suggest the following for shading:
    - First color the basic colors in a layer underneath the line art layer and lock it afterwards.
    - Make a new layer on top of the first color layer and underneath the line art layer.
    - Use the wand (W) to select the color you want to shade in the flat color layer, next switch to your new layer, pick a darker version of the color, and start making your brush strokes.

If you want to do it fancy, you can make use of brushes with a lower opacity. In Photoshop the 1-9,0 keys change the opacity to 10%-90%, 100%.

Other then that you simply need experience. There are no shortcuts when it comes to drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Eastwood View Post
    Coloring, shading and lighting, light sources?

This helped me a lot. : O

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm#skin_tones
    +^_^+ never realized how much physics go into drawing, i guess it makes since, even though i understand just about everything on that page, i just could never get my head around drawing stuff, or programs like PSO2 uses for symbol art+^_^+

Its one way to approach the medium. Some folks (like myself) do thought out unrealistic shadows for the dramatic effect or mood for a piece.

Just finished up coloring a lineart for Rikka Takanashi. I am NEVER coloring a pleated skirt again from scratch, lol. I'm still not entirely satisfied with the results here, but eh... What can you expect from an amateur? Heh.

I figured it would be better I tried rather than just leaving it red.

Check the first post for the image.

I updated the first post again with my latest coloring. It only took a few minutes because everything was locked to one layer, unfortunately, but I still felt like doing this anyway. I'm really loving the Sword Art Online series, so I just wanted to share my love for it, despite how simplistic it may look, haha.

Looks like the black outline+black hair messed you up a bit. Usually You'd oughta invert the colors (black line becomes white line) when it gets to a situation like that but it isn't easy when your just filling in the colors though ;o