Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

When using the selection wand to color line art, you simply need to expand the selection with a few pixels (depending on the resolution). Else you will always end up having an ugly pixelated white line between the color and the line art.

死にてぇ奴だけ, かかってこい!! TetsuyaHikari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sayara View Post
    Looks like the black outline+black hair messed you up a bit. Usually You'd oughta invert the colors (black line becomes white line) when it gets to a situation like that but it isn't easy when your just filling in the colors though ;o
    It wouldn't have messed me up if I was able to change the opacity of the filling, lol. Like I said though, because it was all on one layer, I didn't have the freedom to do all that. It also cripples my shading potential when it's on one layer, but eh... Oh well.

Maybe the next one will let me work on multiple layers.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by qoxolg View Post
    When using the selection wand to color line art, you simply need to expand the selection with a few pixels (depending on the resolution). Else you will always end up having an ugly pixelated white line between the color and the line art.
    I already do that actually.

Have you checked the Image > Mode in photoshop? I can imagine that for line art, some people set it to 'indexed'. In that case, you can't create new layers in photoshop. You first have to change it to RGB.

Have you checked the Image > Mode in photoshop? I can imagine that for line art, some people set it to 'indexed'. In that case, you can't create new layers in photoshop. You first have to change it to RGB.
    Yep, I've done that too. All that happens then is I make the image transparent, fill it in with the white background and the lines become too thin for me to see anything.

What do you mean with making the image transparent? you delete the white parts from the lines layer? if you do that, try changing the blending mode of the line layer to something like multiply (so without deleting the white). With blending modes darken, multiply and the burns, anything white becomes transparent.

What do you mean with making the image transparent? you delete the white parts from the lines layer? if you do that, try changing the blending mode of the line layer to something like multiply (so without deleting the white). With blending modes darken, multiply and the burns, anything white becomes transparent.
    Yeah. There are images I find that aren't naturally transparent, which contain a locked layer, so with these images, I have to use the wand to delete all of the parts and make it transparent myself and fill it in with a white background. Whenever I do that though, the lines for the art become thin, rendering the image unable to be colored properly.

Just do this:
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Sayara; Oct 19, 2012 at 06:44 PM.

Can you please set that image in spoiler tags? It's stretching the thread, lol. Anyway, I'm telling you... I've tried this method before (I always set the first layer/lineart to Multiply anyway). Long story short, it's a hell of a lot easier to color lineart if the artist has already made it transparent and the layer isn't locked.

Maybe this old video of mine will give you idea's:

These days I don't draw using line art anymore (bores me to much), so the coloring method is probably a bit dated. Just take a good look at my use of layers while doing this.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Wait what? I'm confused, you don't do those linearts yourself?

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.