Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Considering Buying a New Desktop

I've been searching on PSO World and Google, and I'm still not sure what I'd like to buy. I'm not really that computer savvy, especially in terms of hardware.

I'm not a PC gamer in the least, but I'd like to own a Desktop that can play PSO2 on the highest settings and possibly Star Wars. I'm not interested in playing anything other than MMOs, so I feel that a high end gaming computer would be a waste of money.

Can someone recommend a off the shelf computer that's in a reasonable price range for me?
    GT: Medic91x
    Phantasy Star Online Characters
    PSO - Enibus
    PSU 360 - Enubis
    PSP2 - Enubus
    PSO2 JP - Enubius (Ship 2)

it would be nice to know your price range~ :3

That will get things started lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mokyu View Post
    it would be nice to know your price range~ :3

That will get things started lol
    Very true...

However, I don't exactly have a set price limit. I just want to do it as cheaply as possible, because it's hard to justify buying a desktop so I can play 1-2 MMOs.

To answer your question, I'd like to stay around the $500 or less price range for the desktop by itself. I just don't know if that's realistic...

If I have to spend more, say, $800 plus, then I'll still consider it.

I've been thinking of just buying some crappy of the shelf desktop from Bestbuy, but that might not be a great idea.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Des...&skuId=6927728
    GT: Medic91x
    Phantasy Star Online Characters
    PSO - Enibus
    PSU 360 - Enubis
    PSP2 - Enubus
    PSO2 JP - Enubius (Ship 2)

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

Go to newegg.com my friend, tons of selections that would make a mockery of what you had linked. Raw power at an okay reasonable price.

You might want to have a look at this post on video card recommendations for max settings, 1080p.

It was helpful when I was building a computer for PSO2 a couple months ago, but it might help you know what to look for in off-the-shelf, as the video card is going to be the most essential component for gaming anyways. It might be a little difficult getting one of those in a pre-built desktop for less than $800, though.

Edit: I looked around to see what prices were and Southeast Systems on Amazon has some suspiciously low-priced deals with Windows 8 machines:
    • ~$600: Radeon 7770, AMD FX 4100, Win8, HDD
    • ~$800: Radeon 7850, AMD FX 4100, Win8, SSD+HDD (faster loading, startup, etc)

From iBUYPOWER on newegg:
    • ~$700: Radeon 7850, AMD FX 6100, Win7, 500GB HDD (the others are 1TB+, but fine if you don't anticipate needing >500GB)
    • ~$800: Radeon 7770, AMD FX 6100, Win8, SSD+HDD

That's all I could find under ~$800 fairly quickly. I'm guessing the AMD processor and Windows 8 are the things keeping the price down on those.

Edit2: More under ~$800, since I'm kind of curious about what I can find:
    • ~$700: GTX650, AMD FX 4100, Win8, HDD
    • ~$750: GTX550ti, AMD Phenom II 965, Win7, HDD, Wi-fi
    • ~$650: GTX650, Intel i5 3350P, 500GB HDD, Win8
    • ~$700: GTX550ti, Intel i5 3550, Win7, HDD, refurbished/no-return
    Last edited by electrolytes; Dec 2, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Skilled Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMedical68 View Post
    Very true...

However, I don't exactly have a set price limit. I just want to do it as cheaply as possible, because it's hard to justify buying a desktop so I can play 1-2 MMOs.

To answer your question, I'd like to stay around the $500 or less price range for the desktop by itself. I just don't know if that's realistic...

If I have to spend more, say, $800 plus, then I'll still consider it.

I've been thinking of just buying some crappy of the shelf desktop from Bestbuy, but that might not be a great idea.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Des...&skuId=6927728
    Whatever you do, please do NOT buy that pre-made from Bestbuy. Core i3 at only 2.6 GHz is absolute garbage, and Intel Graphics 2000 won't be able to run a single game faster than a hamster powered laptop. When you buy a computer you want to make sure that you try and invest in being at least somewhat future proof.

That being said, let me try and find a newegg set up that won't be a waste of your money.

$800 setup with GTX 650, Intel processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227445
    Just over $800 set up with GTX 650, AMD processor and SSD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227450

This is a STEAL of a deal. $650 for GTX 650, i5 processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227443

My suggestion - go with the $650 set up and just buy a separate power supply. The one and only problem with pre-builts from ibuypower/cyberpc is that they absolutely jip you like hell on the power supply. If your parts aren't getting enough power or high quality power (yes there is a difference), then you simply won't get 100% intended performance out of each part as you might desire. Also, all the BSODs and failed start ups that people usually complain about in their reviews are, more often than not, because the power supply is absolute SHIT.

So here you go. Protect your higher quality computer parts with a REAL power supply. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151096

Scratch all of that ^

Go with electrolytes $700 set up from amazon GTX650, AMD FX 4100, Win8, HDD http://www.amazon.com/CPU-Solutions-...productDetails

Comes with a 500 watt ThermalTake power supply, which is 100 watts over the minimum and not nameless. Now you just need a monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236176

And that totals to $850.
    Last edited by Vylera; Dec 2, 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Team: Outsourced Mutiny lostinseganet's Avatar
    Lost somewhere between seganet and the grave

Look for high Vram on your graphic card. That is important for Coop Games.
    Also a large front side bus is important for coop
    Last edited by lostinseganet; Dec 2, 2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: for videogames vram is more useful than regular ram
    You need good D...!? Well so do I!
    PSO 2 + D.D.R.♪, Playable Instruments, AND karaoke! Think of the Competitive Anime Conventions!Dreamcast was art, and like art it was not appreciated until it was DEAD
    I like teh magics in my melee. Not teh melee in ma magics (^_0),
    Lostinseganet: Self proclaimed Melee FOrce!

Quote Originally Posted by PE4CE14 View Post
    Get a Macbook Pro 15inch Mid 2012. It has everything you need.
    Although It is a laptop, its really good.
    they are literally only $1900, not that much at all.
    and they work, AWESOMELY. Im typing on mine right now(:
    Not sure if serious.

Building it yourself will always be the most cost effective. (imo even with time spent building/learning) Newegg also have building tutorials on youtube.

Are you the sickest dude? Lumpen Thingy's Avatar

lol you funny

Quote Originally Posted by lostinseganet View Post
    Look for high Vram on your graphic card. That is important for Coop Games.
    Of course he shouldn't just buy a PC with any card that has alot of VRAM, if the graphics core is weak, then having alot of VRAM doesn't matter at all.

He can get a Windows desktop with alot better specs for less than half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMedical68 View Post
    I've been searching on PSO World and Google, and I'm still not sure what I'd like to buy. I'm not really that computer savvy, especially in terms of hardware.

I'm not a PC gamer in the least, but I'd like to own a Desktop that can play PSO2 on the highest settings and possibly Star Wars. I'm not interested in playing anything other than MMOs, so I feel that a high end gaming computer would be a waste of money.

Can someone recommend a off the shelf computer that's in a reasonable price range for me?
    Building a PC yourself would be the best option for you, since usually pre-built PCs either come either with a bad balance in components, or they come with a weak power supply.

A quick search for components on Newegg:
    Processor - Intel Core i5 3330 - $189.99
    Motherboard - MSI Z77MA-G41 - $89.99
    Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - $35.99
    Graphics Card - HIS Radeon HD7850 1GB GDDR5 - $169.99
    Hard Drive - Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gbps - $69.99
    Power Supply - Seasonic S12II 520W - $67.99
    DVD Drive - Asus DRW-24B3ST - $24.99
    Case - Antec One - $49.99
    Operative System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits - $99.99

Total: $798.91
    Since you're only planning on playing online games, something like this is more than enough.
    If you must get a pre-built PC, I guess electrolyte suggestions with a Radeon HD7850 would be okay...
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom