Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WAY PAST COOL, BRAH! Drifting Fable's Avatar

Default In need of a new video card for PSO2

Welp, my ATI HD 5770 seem to have fried as the fan no long operates on it and the screens go black after a few minutes. Dad thinks we still have a warranty on it but that will take some time.

I'm thinking about getting an Nivida card for all these fancy gizmos people use in their screen shots. Currently researching on what version would be the best for me. Recommendations are appreciated.

I use an ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard with 2 PSI 2.0 x16 slots.

EDIT: I also use Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9505 2.83GHz With 2GB of Ram
    Last edited by Drifting Fable; Dec 5, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fable View Post
    Welp, my ATI HD 5770 seem to have fried as the fan no long operates on it and the screens go black after a few minutes. Dad thinks we still have a warranty on it but that will take some time.

I'm thinking about getting an Nivida card for all these fancy gizmos people use in their screen shots. Currently researching on what version would be the best for me. Recommendations are appreciated.

I use an ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard with 2 PSI 2.0 x16 slots.
    Depends on how much money you want to spend, but if you can go for a Geforce GTX660, that would be a good one. If you can't, I guess a GTX650 Ti or a normal GTX650 wouldn't be too bad.
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

Quote Originally Posted by Ezodagrom View Post
    Depends on how much money you want to spend, but if you can go for a Geforce GTX660, that would be a good one. If you can't, I guess a GTX650 Ti or a normal GTX650 wouldn't be too bad.
    Those cards require PCIe 3.0 slots, while his rig has 2.0 slots. Not sure if that'd work, unfortunately. (EDIT: A PCIe 3.0 card will still work. My bad!)

Drifting Fable, I have two questions: What's your budget like, and what kind of CPU are you running right now? Those two factors will make a difference.

A GeForce GTX 550Ti is about equivalent to your Radeon 5770. I have one, and it's been serving me well for the past few months. That card's about $129 on Newegg right now. If you can afford to spend more AND your CPU's not so old that it would bottleneck (limit the speed of) your video card, try to get at least a GTX 560 or better.
    Last edited by Sir_Laguna; Dec 5, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
    Sir Laguna: Always outnumbered, never outgunned.

We're doing this in 2020.

Apparently a 660ti and up will work with pci 2.0 just slightly under the normal 3.0 levels

Land of OZ I think? ... or did that tornado take me elsewhere?

pci express 3.0 cards can be used on 2.0, I use gtx 550 ti on my pcie 1.1 I think it is. The only difference is the bandwith which isnt even a problem seeing as you wont need max bandwith, though I am also not a comp geek but I think i am on the right track lol.

But yeah go for 660-650 ti, 660ti would be best lol. I am personally not making a new comp rig until intel haswell and nivida maxwell are released
    The Creator of Syncesta!

My father would like to stay as close to $200 as possible. But I believe an extra 30 dollars won't kill him.

I use a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9505 2.83GHz With 2GB of Ram. We tried to install 8GB of Ram but the computer kept crashing :/.

Land of OZ I think? ... or did that tornado take me elsewhere?

is your computer a 32 bit version windows or 64 bit? 32 bit is limited to 3 gb of ram also many motherboards have limits, but seeing as it has 2.0 pcie it should be able to handle 8gb? unless its 32 bit windows you got on there
    The Creator of Syncesta!

I am using a 64-bit of the Window 7 home premium edition. We got the ram chips that were compatible for the Asus. So I'm not sure whats wrong.

Use one of the 8GB sticks if you have 2. Only use one of them. The one that does not work should not let the computer boot. Return or RMA the whole thing after you confirm it is indeed the RAM's fault. Do not use your old RAM when testing this and make sure you did not change the RAM settings in the BIOS if you know you did.

Video cards under $200 I would not splurge on the latest and greatest seeing how you are still on a C2Q. Spend like $100 on a GTX 460 or AMD 6850-6870 on ebay or shop that you trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fable View Post
    My father would like to stay as close to $200 as possible. But I believe an extra 30 dollars won't kill him.

I use a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9505 2.83GHz With 2GB of Ram. We tried to install 8GB of Ram but the computer kept crashing :/.
    Mind listing your current Mobo SKU/Model number? You can use speccy from piriform to find out what it is.