Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

No I did not, but I also heard that on DC there was a hack to PK people? If this is true then I could see them as having fun terrorising legit players. I dunno, anyone who pays money to beat a game in 1 is a fool in my mind.

yea im gonna have to agree with phelan there, first off he forgot one major piece of info, the fact that you need a modded box to cheat on pso. now i ask you this, what 11-15 year old kid has not only a modded xbox, but knowledge of assembly also? Hmmm?
    Well there you go people, the major arguement against psoX hackers

On 2003-04-01 17:19, ALPHAM0F0 wrote:
    yea im gonna have to agree with phelan there, first off he forgot one major piece of info, the fact that you need a modded box to cheat on pso. now i ask you this, what 11-15 year old kid has not only a modded xbox, but knowledge of assembly also? Hmmm?
    Well there you go people, the major arguement against psoX hackers
    you don't need to know anything special to use these hacks though... if you are capable of setting up a modded xbox, applying these hacks are a piece of cake... this is about 100x easier than the DOAXBV nude hacks and look at all the people who used those...

Student...electrical engineering

If you have to have a MODDED XBox then there should not be much of a problem.

I heard that MS was BANNING people from XBox LIVE! if they modded their box. There is some way to tell if you box is modded when you go online.

This will make it more difficult, but not impossible to use the modded XBox offline then go online with the hacked character.

Hopefully they BIND users to their own XBoxes or carefully watch the character transfers.

It would also be nice if the game just PLAIN OLD DID NOT WORK on a modded XBox. It simply said to send in your XBox for service because it was modded. That I would like to see!

There are ONLY two reasons for a MODDED XBox. One would be to use copied or hacked games...just go buy them cheapo! Two, you are developing something on the XBox without their developer kit...nearly everyone should say no to this one.

Now likely is it that someone buys a XBox to write software on...or load Linux on...lol...go buy a computer!

I'm still lonely! Talk to me, please!
    California, in the land of milk and cigarettes

I hope that MS can fix the PSOX cheating problems with a simple patch. I'm sure there's something that can be done...

*sigh* Well, we'll just have to wait and seen. It's still going to loads of fun finally getting to play PSO with other people, weather they cheat or not...

Blue Harmony

I heard that MS was BANNING people from XBox LIVE! if they modded their box. There is some way to tell if you box is modded when you go online.
    no. there is a way to tell if the mod is active at the time of joining online, not to determine if there is a modchip or not.
    It would also be nice if the game just PLAIN OLD DID NOT WORK on a modded XBox.
    Just flash the modchip with a newer version then.
    There are ONLY two reasons for a MODDED XBox. One would be to use copied or hacked games...just go buy them cheapo!
    1/in EU, renting games is illegal. So no way to try the game before you buy. Great, uh ?
    2/Import games. I am now playing PSO for example. I was playing Panzer Dragoon right when it was out. Not even counting the jp games that will never make it to the Us or Eu.
    3/Xbox games sold in EU don't have progressive display. (it disappeared over 8 month ago)
    Two, you are developing something on the XBox without their developer kit...nearly everyone should say no to this one.
    So, in order to program a piece of hardware I LEGALLY own, I have to cash out and register as an official, PROFESSIONNAL game developper ?
    And then, I have to send it to M$ so it is signed by them in order to run on retail xbox ? You think they will accept to do that for me ?
    Now likely is it that someone buys a XBox to write software on...or load Linux on...lol...go buy a computer!
    You obviously have no idea of what you are talking about. Let me enumerate some of the uses a modded Xbox gives compared to a bland one.Especially coupled with a PC.

1/Emulators
    You can play dozens of emulated systems and their games on your Xbox (Arcade, Neo-Geo, SuperFamicom, etc..)
    The edge over the same emulators running on the PC is that the Xbox can be in your TV room (bigger screen, convenience for the seats), and you use the Xbox's pads to play with friends.
    Try to play a 4 player bomberman with pads on your PC.

2/Media player
    You can play any media file, that is MP3, MPEG, DivX and it will take advantage of your TV and sound set-up (dolby digital)

3/Progressive DVD player
    The retail DVD player program DOESN'T output progressive. The custom one running with mod does.

4/Streaming with PC.
    You don't have to store your DivX Movies or MP3 on the Xbox's Hard drive. Your PC can stream them in real time to your Xbox on its demand via the ethernet port. if a cable between the 2 is not practical, you can use wireless LAN.
    So, if you have an 80Gig HD on the PC filled with movies, you can select and watch them at your will on ther Xbox (which is connected to your TV/5.1 setup).

5/Game Enhancement.
    You can add features yourself to the games.
    My friend coded the snapshot option in DOAX.
    (please make the difference between us and the losers lusting after the nude hack, we have no interest in that)

6/Linux
    Linux was already running on the DreamCast.
    Its uses have been enhanced tenfold with the bigger RAM and HD of the Xbox.

Hold on here...I do have quite an idea of what I am talking about here:

There are only a few reasons to MOD your XBox:
    1. Bypass security to allow play of games written with a DVD-R drive...don't know if even possible yet.

2. Bypass security to allow development of your own software. I am referring to GAME DEVELOPMENT, not software already loaded on it. I am referring to developing actual code which has to be based on the XBox's programming language, which there is limited information available to the general public. It is proprietary. Only licenced vendors have the expertise to effectivly program this console.

3. The XBox does not run off Linux in the first place. It runs off a stripped down Windows NT kernel similar to the one in the Windows 2000 operating system. See link below:

http://www.xbreporter.com/xbox_syste...ifications.php

4. The DreamCast ran off an optimized version of the Windows CE operating system. See link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...8/Segagmpr.asp

5. If you are that interested in emulating a game system then just go and try to find it. A XBox can not effectivly emulate ALL parts of other consoles. Some games produced for the SNES took advantage of a SuperFX chip that was located in the game cart. This component will not emulate well at all.

6. I am not trying to FLAME anyone here so PLEASE do not list me as you quoted:

"You obviously have no idea of what you are talking about."

I take this as a FLAME and I did NOTHING of the sort to you, to PLEASE refrain from doing SUCH to me!

I am not trying to post anything bad here, but it would be WISE not to MOD your XBox as you DO void your warrenty and MAY become uneligable for Live! service.

If you wish to MOD your XBox then do so at your own risk.

If you have the skills and KNOW what you are doing then I am not objecting. After all, the XBox is a cheap alternative to a PC, isn't it? It is essentually a modified computer with all parts integrated, including the operating system.

However, after that being said I would not attempt the MOD. It MAY have some everlasting side effects.

Blue Harmony

On 2003-04-02 01:03, alland wrote:
    Hold on here...I do have quite an idea of what I am talking about here:
    er .. sorry, but no. You THINK you know, but do not realize the scope of your cluelessness.
    There are only a few reasons to MOD your XBox:
    1. Bypass security to allow play of games written with a DVD-R drive...don't know if even possible yet.
    "don't know if even possible yet" ??
    And you pretend you know what you are talking about ?
    It has been possible from mod day one. You run them from CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, HD.
    2. Bypass security to allow development of your own software. I am referring to GAME DEVELOPMENT, not software already loaded on it. I am referring to developing actual code which has to be based on the XBox's programming language, which there is limited information available to the general public. It is proprietary. Only licenced vendors have the expertise to effectivly program this console.
    ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah, right, buddy.
    Let you know that these are called Windows NT kernel and Direct3D, and that amazon has more books on these that you can point a stick at. These are no arcane knowledge.
    3. The XBox does not run off Linux in the first place. It runs off a stripped down Windows NT kernel similar to the one in the Windows 2000 operating system. See link below:
    Do you really think you're teaching me anything I didn't know before ?
    4. The DreamCast ran off an optimized version of the Windows CE operating system.
    You never owned a DreamCast, did you ?
    If so, you would have known that only 1/20th of the games on it really used that buggy OS.
    And what does it have to do with Linux running on it ?
    5. If you are that interested in emulating a game system then just go and try to find it.
    This has to be one of the most stupid and ignorant sentence I have ever read.
    It typically shows your lack of experience in the field.
    A XBox can not effectivly emulate ALL parts of other consoles. Some games produced for the SNES took advantage of a SuperFX chip that was located in the game cart. This component will not emulate well at all.
    more baseless assumptions ...
    6. I am not trying to FLAME anyone here so PLEASE do not list me as you quoted:
    "You obviously have no idea of what you are talking about."
    I take this as a FLAME and I did NOTHING of the sort to you, to PLEASE refrain from doing SUCH to me!
    If you really are sincere in writing this, then I'm sorry for you to take it like that. But how can I phrase differently the obvious ?
    This present post of yours just confirms it.
    I have been playing games since 1978, and am a software developper. Some things you say I just cant let them unanswered.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: saffaya on 2003-04-02 04:42 ]</font>

Blue Harmony

On 2003-04-02 01:31, alland wrote:
    I am not trying to post anything bad here, but it would be WISE not to MOD your XBox as you DO void your warrenty and MAY become uneligable for Live! service.

If you wish to MOD your XBox then do so at your own risk.
    Being able to play PSO on Xbox seemed an objective worthy of the risks involved.
    True Fantasy Online later this year too.