Default Playing Fonewearl alone help

I have a level 150 force that I used solely to support party members, back when I played online (on Gamecube). I just started using her offline and am still working out how to make an effective offensive force out of this Fonewearl. (Leaving Marina's Bag in the bank, and removing Zalure from my Action Menu felt like a big step.)

I use simple techs unless there are more than three similar enemies near me. And so far I switched between the three boosting Canes (Club of Laconium for Foie, etc), but together with weapons for Gi- or Ra level techs means I have a whole lot of switching to do.
    Apart from that I switched my Resta Merge for a Red Merge, and I always feel like my Action Menu is a few buttons short of ideal.

Any tips from experienced forces about playstyle, equipment and Action Menu? Any good advice about which areas are fun for a force, and which area to avoid? Maybe some words on what works and what doesn't, when fighting bosses?

Any help will be appreciated!
    Last edited by T0m; Dec 23, 2012 at 08:16 AM.

Grab some wands and start dropping a couple situational techs near the top of the tech menu.

I tended to roll with...

fluid/foie/barta
    mate(emergencies where resta won't be quick enough)/rafoie/gizonde

Depending on the enemies. Then the list had resta at the top (Like I said: Situational. Ideally you won't take many hits as a FOnewearl, since in some areas at low levels a single crit will kill you in one strike), followed by anything else I might need in the area. I'm too lazy to change it everywhere I go, so muscle memory typically carries me to whatever I want to use.

My techs of choice, mixed at-will based on the types of enemies... (in order of element then use)
    Foie, Rafoie, Gifoie (largest AOE of the spirally techs, so good in some situations, also great for using the bugged door-casting trick if you do that sort of thing, but between long casting time and synchronizing animations of all surround enemies often results in instant death)
    Zonde, Gizonde
    Barta (Penetrates, more additive damage than foie's single-target damage even against fire-weak enemies on occasion, good for saving PP), rabarta, gibarta
    Deband, Zalure (these two are obvious - combo them on harsh enemies to survive more hits), Shifta, Jellen
    resta, anti

Then keep the 4 best HP units you can find. If that's dragon/HP for a while, that's still a 160 HP advantage. I suggest grabbing 2+ god/hp's though, IIRC they weren't at all hard to get. Also keep light resist items. I couldn't count the runs I've only survived by 4 HP after doing some simple math to work out what I'd need to survive, but I guess by level 150 you won't need to worry about that. Also, hold on to your scapes for the tough bosses and pack your inventory with all of them if they're particularly harsh and you just want to get to the next area, but I'm sure you know all that by now.

Honestly forces are the best class to be when underleveled, since you don't have to worry about def being > pow and so doing 0 damage hits. Tech damage is % resisted, so 35 EFR means always dealing a mere 35% reduced damage. But, again, level 150, I'm sure you're fine for that (I actually never did get to 150 on my forces so I don't know what ultimate seabed is like for them, or what level is suggested etc. so I'm just throwing out the tidbits I do know since it might help)

edit: Also get the wands in addition to the canes.

Honestly, if you've got the time, making a fresh FOnewearl might be more fun. With constant new goals to work towards you can figure out all this stuff on your own at steady pace, which is where the fun always was for me. I bet it'd be more fun than hopping in on an already overleveled character.

Thanks for the input.

I settled on the following, though: All offensive techs on my Action menu. Most of the time simple techs on default, and a mix of Gi- and Ra techs on the sub menu.

Having Resta on top, and Jellen all the way down on the Y-button list is enough to keep me alive, although I have not taken this Force to Ultimate Dark Falz, Seabed or Control Tower yet. Everywhere else, Deband, Jellen and high EVA is enough to survive several hits from just about anything.

And at level 154 I run out of TP just a few times per area, so I don't need to use up valuable Action Menu space for Fluids. Using weapons that reduce TP cost also helps.

I reduced the number of weapons, and now only take a Summit Moon (for Simple Attacks) Sorcerers Cane (for Normal Attacks) and a Psycho Wand (for Hard Attacks). Red Merge stays on, since fire techs get the most use.