Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Considering how much storage even flash drives have now a days, I think I'd prefer to have physical cartridges. There's still something special about my old Genesis games. People are like "oh I have that on XBL arcade", and I can be like "I have the actual game, system and all". But yeah, op has some serious rose tinted goggles, for all the reasons listed earlier.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

digital is convenient but there's just a special feel to hard copies. digital is kinda straight forward and takes out the magic and the feeling that... you actually got a new game. Then you know there's the whole lending to your friends and selling/trading them back to retailers that's really good for business of the developers.

I think.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Developers only get money from new sales. They get nothing from used sales. That's one of the big problems some folks have with Gamestop, but its not exclusive to them.

It's also why digital downloading has become a thing, since devs and publishers get a cut every time one is sold on a service like Steam or PSN/XBLM/Virtual Console.
    Last edited by RenzokukenZ; Dec 25, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
    Heeding the call of the Hunter in PSP2? Use this: Beginner's Guide to Hunter Domination

"You either die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Yeah I meant like advertis- wait...

I dunno.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Reclusive, indefinitely. RLbitClassica's Avatar

First off, what the hell? I didn't post this topic so a bunch of internet jockeys could rip me to shreds, this isn't supposed to be about me. Either way though, for most of us here, those retro consoles with the silly cartridges and no online play were what hooked us on gaming initially, and there's a reason you liked the old games. Those reasons still exist today, they haven't changed. You have. So if calling me nostalgic is what helps you sleep at night, so be it, but don't say that my gaming opinion is irrelevant because I have a fonder view of classic gaming than I do of the countless AAA rehashes you get on current systems.
    When life gives you lemons, suck on them.

Quote Originally Posted by RLbitClassica View Post
    First off, what the hell? I didn't post this topic so a bunch of internet jockeys could rip me to shreds, this isn't supposed to be about me. Either way though, for most of us here, those retro consoles with the silly cartridges and no online play were what hooked us on gaming initially, and there's a reason you liked the old games. Those reasons still exist today, they haven't changed. You have. So if calling me nostalgic is what helps you sleep at night, so be it, but don't say that my gaming opinion is irrelevant because I have a fonder view of classic gaming than I do of the countless AAA rehashes you get on current systems.
    It's kind of silly to try to connect our interest in older games being due to lack of online play or other multimedia. For some games, notably PSO, its quite the opposite. That, and most of us here were either born or were rather young when the consoles like Atari and NES started showing up, so it makes sense that we would get into those growing up.

Also, no one mentioned anything about gaming opinion or rehashes or anything like that. Only that your claim that the Wii was the last bastion of 'true' traditional gaming was false, and that, for the most part, a traditional console is one that takes physical media to work, be it disc or cartridge. Once that goes away, then you can start lighting fires.

And if you really think about it, your version of 'true' traditional gaming was gone long before the Wii, with the last bastions being the N64 and the PS1, and the nail on the coffin being the Dreamcast.

You asked what we thought, and we gave our answers.
    Heeding the call of the Hunter in PSP2? Use this: Beginner's Guide to Hunter Domination

"You either die the hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Vordex View Post
    Considering how much storage even flash drives have now a days, I think I'd prefer to have physical cartridges. There's still something special about my old Genesis games. People are like "oh I have that on XBL arcade", and I can be like "I have the actual game, system and all". But yeah, op has some serious rose tinted goggles, for all the reasons listed earlier.
    A benefit to that is that if it goes berzerk, its just one thing. If your hard drive/memory stick goes, there goes everything else with it.

Dunno how you can call the Wii the last traditional console when it doesn't have a traditional controller as standard.

Considering PSN, Xbox live and steam have had security fuck ups I ain't interested in going all digital any time in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenZ View Post
    It's kind of silly to try to connect our interest in older games being due to lack of online play or other multimedia. For some games, notably PSO, its quite the opposite. That, and most of us here were either born or were rather young when the consoles like Atari and NES started showing up, so it makes sense that we would get into those growing up.

Also, no one mentioned anything about gaming opinion or rehashes or anything like that. Only that your claim that the Wii was the last bastion of 'true' traditional gaming was false, and that, for the most part, a traditional console is one that takes physical media to work, be it disc or cartridge. Once that goes away, then you can start lighting fires.

And if you really think about it, your version of 'true' traditional gaming was gone long before the Wii, with the last bastions being the N64 and the PS1, and the nail on the coffin being the Dreamcast.

You asked what we thought, and we gave our answers.
    Well maybe I should make myself more transparent. A "true" gaming system, in my humble fucking opinion, is a completely dedicated gaming system. It's not a multimedia device, it's not an external social hub. An internet connection shouldn't be necessary to fully enjoy the system. That's not a mark against online gaming, but more against the idea that console makers of today only cater to those with internet. I don't want the extra hassle of online bullshit. The half-assed games that get released with the idea that they can just release patches and DLC, the stupid online passes. I just want to buy the console, buy the games and then play the games. No muss, no fuss. I'm not some wii fan-boy. I think the console was a definite miss in gaming due to the over-abundance of shovel-ware and lack of good 3rd party titles, but in regard to classic gaming, wii DOES fall in that category. All future consoles are going to be made with extensive online integration and/or multimedia implementation. It's a fast-growing trend and I don't like it. Obviously I'm in the minority on that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by .Rusty. View Post
    Dunno how you can call the Wii the last traditional console when it doesn't have a traditional controller as standard.

Considering PSN, Xbox live and steam have had security fuck ups I ain't interested in going all digital any time in the future.
    No the controller is far from traditional, but that's not idea my post is focused on. To sum it up easily, online integration and digital distribution are my own personal taboos in regards to gaming. Even though physical media isn't dead yet, we are fast approaching the time that it will be.