Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Derpington View Post
    There's translation, voice acting, server testing, working out a solution to the scratch, bug testing, marketing (lol) and other stuff they need to do.
    That is if they actually do any voice acting, if there's english voice acting, I wouldn't be surprised if they only translated the bigger scenes and left most scenes silent (like they did in PSPo2).
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

Quote Originally Posted by Z-0 View Post
    Pokemon Platinum had the game corner removed in EU countries due to gambling laws.

So... yeah.
    ah, England and your intolorable laws. i just wish America was goin down that direction. i can see us doin that in maby 3-5 years.

Made by Gama.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
    ah, England and your intolorable laws. i just wish America was goin down that direction. i can see us doin that in maby 3-5 years.
    You wish we were going towards more restrictions? Man... you would hate my political opinions...

I don't know, SOA is good at advertising (god knows everyone and their mother has seen Sonic the Hedgehog around), but they don't focus on any of their smaller games and give them a chance to get bigger. Its pretty stupid honestly...

Sega has a plethora of titles they could be making small or even big games for. Anyone heard from Billy Hatcher lately? No? That was apparently a legitimately good game, too. They mucked up the advertising, nobody knew about it, nobody bought it, "well I guess Billy Hatcher doesn't sell well so let's not make a sequel you guys."

SoA is fucking inept no matter how much of the blame should go to SoJ for PS disasters. At the end of the day, SoA is still fucking terrible at doing the things it's supposed to.

Translation is only a very small part of the process of making a game come over from Japan to North America. In most cases, a simple translation job can see a game released in only a few months (including the time it takes to record voice acting, print copies, design new box art, etc. when applicable, and of course, testing things to make sure their changes didn't break anything).

Something like PSO2 is a different beast though. In addition to translation and localization, they also have to set up the entirety of the game's service over here, since we're likely going to be segregated server-wise from the already-existing service.

So they have to purchase or rent server hardware, establish licenses for maintenance and other upkeep costs (power, internet, etc. - but this can vary greatly depending on what type of avenue they pursue for it), get their billing systems set up, establish customer service (including GM staff and such), train employees, and do rigorous amounts of testing every step of the way through every single process, procedure and individual aspect of the service.

And then, of course, they have to lick the boots of their precious masters at Sega of Japan and hope they don't get shafted like they have been on previous ventures within the Phantasy Star series (post-PSOv1).

Granted, all of this could be done and the service up and running here by now, if they were on the ball with a worldwide release or gave the OK to it around the launch of the Japanese version, but they've only really given the indication that they used the Japanese version to test the waters and gauge foreign demand, so actual commencement of the production of international versions was, of course, late to the party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowth117 View Post
    I don't know, SOA is good at advertising (god knows everyone and their mother has seen Sonic the Hedgehog around), but they don't focus on any of their smaller games and give them a chance to get bigger. Its pretty stupid honestly...
    Well, specifically, they're good at advertising things with Sonic on the front of it. Don't expect to hear anything about practically any other game they release in advertising outlets, particularly outside of Japan.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Translation is only a very small part of the process of making a game come over from Japan to North America. In most cases, a simple translation job can see a game released in only a few months (including the time it takes to record voice acting, print copies, design new box art, etc. when applicable, and of course, testing things to make sure their changes didn't break anything).

Something like PSO2 is a different beast though. In addition to translation and localization, they also have to set up the entirety of the game's service over here, since we're likely going to be segregated server-wise from the already-existing service.

So they have to purchase or rent server hardware, establish licenses for maintenance and other upkeep costs (power, internet, etc. - but this can vary greatly depending on what type of avenue they pursue for it), get their billing systems set up, establish customer service (including GM staff and such), train employees, and do rigorous amounts of testing every step of the way through every single process, procedure and individual aspect of the service.

And then, of course, they have to lick the boots of their precious masters at Sega of Japan and hope they don't get shafted like they have been on previous ventures within the Phantasy Star series (post-PSOv1).

Granted, all of this could be done and the service up and running here by now, if they were on the ball with a worldwide release or gave the OK to it around the launch of the Japanese version, but they've only really given the indication that they used the Japanese version to test the waters and gauge foreign demand, so actual commencement of the production of international versions was, of course, late to the party.

Well, specifically, they're good at advertising things with Sonic on the front of it. Don't expect to hear anything about practically any other game they release in advertising outlets, particularly outside of Japan.

Too long didn't stop reading it Such well made and valid points the ragers can't see. And yes if it ain't the blue blur the product doesn't get much publicity.

Seeing as how they have shown any kind of advertising for their recent game, Anarchy Reigns, it doesn't take much to know where the cash cow is at. Especially, how they take every chance to milk Sonic for the Olympics.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blace View Post
    Seeing as how they have shown any kind of advertising for their recent game, Anarchy Reigns, it doesn't take much to know where the cash cow is at. Especially, how they take every chance to milk Sonic for the Olympics.
    Okay so I was sitting on the crapper and as I doing my business it came to me why Sega may operate the way it does now bear with me for a moment as I come off stupid or as the cool internet kids say "nastalgia fagging it up" if anyone remembers back in the days Sega was considered as the bad boy of gaming, they were the shady guy in the alley all covered up with their identity covered up that sold things that shouldn't be sold. Prime example of what I mean.

A young man that appears to be in their late twenties stealthly sneaks around in search of something or... Someone. After a long tiring search the young soon stumbles upon a figure sporting a heavg trench coat, a dark brown businessman hat and asks the mysterious persob "Are you Sega?" The man asks then the person takes a deep breath of their cigarette and puffs out a cloud of smoke the in a deep mysterious tone replies "Yeah, I'm Sega whacha want kid?" "I heard you have a new game out thats really cool that has everyone talking about it. You got it?" Sega the looks up at the potential customer and lets out a snarky giggle Maybe, for the right price heh heh hehhh" The young man pulls out a wad of cash then Sega reaches in its coat digging through it and slowly slides the game into the persons hand as the person does the same withs his money. " Enjoy the game kid if ya like it tell your friends and send them my way."

SOJ is the main head of SEGA so they are to blame for this. Look at all the Korean MMOs and such that come over to the US/EU later and fall behind in updates 6months to a year. They don't get any real support and if the mass majority wanted a change in the game they wouldn't care because the US/EU branches are merely distributing pawns who do as they are told and hope for the best.
    Chars...

Triton 135 Master of Guns
    the rest of mine just suck

they just spent 25mill buying another company from THQ, whats makes you think they have cash to make PSO2 for the US/EU still?