Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Western Made games that you'd like a Japanese developer to make

Mass Effect - High school Edition - Atlus

Or my personal favorite: World of Warcraft by Hideki Kamiya.

Fallout: Tokyo

And no, that's not a troll. I'm picturing something along the lines of a bit of Desert Punk mixed with some Romance of the Three Kingdoms inspired storyline with a heavy dose of weird. Especially around Akihabara district. Also, leave Bethesda or Black Isles in charge of oversight/lore and game engine.

Honestly, there's not many Japanese developers who I see as relevant anymore, at least none who I would trust to remake/sequelize a western game. The few who are still relevant to games do better making their own stuff in their own unique style... such as Platinum with the Bayonetta series, or Atlus with... well... almost everything they do. I similarly couldn't see any western development studios being able to take over what they do successfully.

But Fallout in Japan made by the people who know Japan best? Yeah, that'd work for me. Same thing with a Fallout set in London. I couldn't see anyone but a UK based dev team doing it. It's harder and less genuine when you try to skewer a culture and project a future for it when you're not intimiately knowledgeable of the nuances of it.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

fable?

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Team Fortress 2 by Capcom.

Otherwise known as Team Fortress EX, where Blu and Red fight one another with cards. Or as a fighter, that'd be hilariously awesome.

I still think Mass effect:High school edition would be interesting. You may think it's a troll but Atlus can do it well.

I can't think of a single western franchise that I'd want in the hands of a Japanese company. Japan has seemed largely lost this generation with either sticking to what they do all the time because, hey that still flies in Japan, or taking odd stabs at western designs and not really getting WHY those designs work and just implementing them all willy-nilly. (Resident Evil 6 would be my choice for top offender off the top of my head.)

Japan just doesn't seem as relevant in the west as it used to and I think that's largely because gaming has become such a mainstream hobby here, and western developers have stepped their game up in creating solid gameplay experiences that are either original or have evolved familiar ideas in new and interesting ways. While Japanese design, both from a gameplay standpoint and aesthetics, appeal to many of us because we grew up with it, the alternatives that have been formed in the west appeal more broadly out of familiarity and evolution of ideas.

In my own opinion, due to my exposure and increased enjoyment in western developed games, the tired and traditional way Japan insists on doing things doesn't make them quite as relevant to me anymore. It'd be hard for me to look at any western-developed franchise I enjoy thrust in the hands of a Japanese developer and not think of it being at serious risk of taking huge leaps backward.

Cold as winter, guns of summer. Point and watch them run.
    Which PSO-W Member Are You?

I'd trust platinum games. Japan's real fault is they were not ready for the next gen dump and they are too entrenched in their own market but the ones who do shine, SHINE
    Atlus,From Software,Team Ninja,Konami and Platinum could really make some good games. And lets be honest ass creed by Kojima Productions would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    I can't think of a single western franchise that I'd want in the hands of a Japanese company. Japan has seemed largely lost this generation with either sticking to what they do all the time because, hey that still flies in Japan, or taking odd stabs at western designs and not really getting WHY those designs work and just implementing them all willy-nilly. (Resident Evil 6 would be my choice for top offender off the top of my head.)

Japan just doesn't seem as relevant in the west as it used to and I think that's largely because gaming has become such a mainstream hobby here, and western developers have stepped their game up in creating solid gameplay experiences that are either original or have evolved familiar ideas in new and interesting ways. While Japanese design, both from a gameplay standpoint and aesthetics, appeal to many of us because we grew up with it, the alternatives that have been formed in the west appeal more broadly out of familiarity and evolution of ideas.

In my own opinion, due to my exposure and increased enjoyment in western developed games, the tired and traditional way Japan insists on doing things doesn't make them quite as relevant to me anymore. It'd be hard for me to look at any western-developed franchise I enjoy thrust in the hands of a Japanese developer and not think of it being at serious risk of taking huge leaps backward.
    Pretty much.

If anything, this topic would get more serious replies if it was "japanese made games that you'd like a western developer make"

Cause then I'd actually contribute a lengthy post for once.

Two wildly different mindsets. I wouldn't trust an electrical contractor as a fashion designer either.

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    Two wildly different mindsets. I wouldn't trust an electrical contractor as a fashion designer either.
    Yeah, I don't want "The Elder Scrolls VI: SUPER-GALACTIC ULTIMATE ROBO-BATTLE ULTRA EDITION DXX DIRECTOR'S CUT".

Some thing should stay separate.