Default Why the charade? (regarding PSO2 patches and servers)

There's a post right in the PSO2 subforum that goes into explicit detail regarding the registration process to create a Japanese Sega ID (necessary for playing PSO2JP). Now you can argue you're doing it for the PSO2 newsletter which is perfectly fine but it doesn't really serve any purpose other than using it to play PSO2JP. I assume it may also function for other online sega games but at the moment I can't think of any other games that use the Sega ID.

Alongside that thread is the post telling about the english patch and how you should not ask for it on the forum. Of course this by far the worst way to keep said patch a secret as the first thing anyone with a degree in internet 101 is going to do is go straight to google and... well you know I can't tell you the rest in this post and god bless you if I have to. Suffice it to say one can acquire the english patch in as few 3 or 4 mouse clicks and a bit of typing.

Then there's the whole PSO2 subforum itself which basically advertises the fact english speaking players on a predominantly english speaking message board are playing the game and using an english patch with screen shots and discussions galore going into meticulous detail about every facet of the game.

This probably has been discussed at length before but its bugging me still. I try to put myself in the shoes of an employee at Sega. They can't be so stupid as to ignore the IPs with which everyone connects to their server from. Even if every other person here connected using a VPN service (my figure being significantly inflated to be sure) there'd still be a lot of connections outside of japan that are coming from America. Its not just PSOworld that connects to PSO2JP though, those who don't frequent this forum because they think this place is lame, Europe, Brazillians and whoever else that has a decent connection to the internet that I didn't mention that wants to play PSO2 can connect from outside Japan.

Adding to this, the Japanese 2chan goers probably report English players for shits and giggles and I don't think there's been any rampant banning of said players for them not speaking Japanese. Short of people being teleportted around by a hacker or posting obscene symbol art its actually pretty hard to get banned from PSO2JP from what I've read so far.

My point I seem to be dancing around is this. Who exactly are we trying to fool? Has there every been a notice given or take down order put into place against PSOworld for posting information regarding private servers, patches or anything of that sort?

The obvious answer to the question I'm not asking is that the English patch, private servers and other such unmentionables can't be discussed because of copyright protection and the fact the forum could get shut down if that information was publicly posted on this forum.

I feel though our guise is thinly veiled. Certainly Sega has at one point visited this place. Is it by benevolence we find ourselves still afloat? Perhaps it is indifference, as that seems the to be the prevailing notion SoA has given. Perhaps it's just ignorance.

I just needed to vent words in a non rant fashion. What say ye?
    Don't judge a manga by its anime

SoJ has bigger fish to fry than some fans of their game using a patch to help them play the game more easily. It's not causing any problems for SoJ so why would they intervene?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart521 View Post
    SoJ has bigger fish to fry than some fans of their game using a patch to help them play the game more easily. It's not causing any problems for SoJ so why would they intervene?
    Exactly my point. Why not directly link to the english patch, private servers and whatever else if Sega doesn't care? Who exactly are we hiding from? If Sega doesn't care what we're doing who does? I would assume "vBulletin". I would reason that they wouldn't care unless Sega insisted they do something. In which case this place would already be closed down and yet here we are.
    Don't judge a manga by its anime

Quote Originally Posted by May0 View Post
    Alongside that thread is the post telling about the english patch and how you should not ask for it on the forum. Of course this by far the worst way to keep said patch a secret as the first thing anyone with a degree in internet 101 is going to do is go straight to google and... well you know I can't tell you the rest in this post and god bless you if I have to.
    PSO-W is using something that rhymes shmeverse shmychology. I'm gonna let you go straight to google and... well you know I can't tell you the rest in this post and god bless you if I have to.

Cold as winter, guns of summer. Point and watch them run.
    Which PSO-W Member Are You?

If you're an administrator of a popular website, you want to go ahead and take every step you need to to avoid any sort of legal infringement. Even if it's clear your site harbors it, you at least want a disclaimer to fall back on. SoJ is never gonna give a damn, but it doesn't excuse a site from standard procedure regarding these things. We talk about the patch, but site rules state we're "not supposed to" so it at least looks like we're not deliberately harboring it.

Just legal BS :P