Default Story: Weapons Obsession???

I've been doing the complete story of PSO and kind of wondering something...
    What is up with all the obsessions with super-weapons in the story of phantasy star online?
    Pioneer 1 did nothing else then experimenting with the D factor, creating creatures and weapons with them. WORKS from Pioneer 2 did the same with the heaven striker project and the continuation of the MOTHER project.... why?

What is there competition? Is there a war going on on Coral or something?

That...is actually a really great question.

It always seemed like the entire planet was unified in its efforts to leave. If they were truly unified, why all the conspiracy and coverups for hyperadvanced next gen bioweapons? Sure, everyone wants to be prepared for any contingency, but if that was the case there would have to be one nation trying to do this and hide it from another nation. The existence of separate nations back on Coral was never even remotely hinted at.

Maybe they'd gotten some indication they weren't alone in the universe?

Or maybe the act of finding Ragol was all it took to force them to try and prepare for another world finding them?

Pioneer one's experiments with the D factor led to MAGS, and also De Rol Le

Looked at it that way (the process of editing/creating life) I think it was bio-engineering akin to growing a human ear on a rat's back; it was for re-constructive/medical purpose. It was only Montague who purposely turned these things into weapons when Pioneer Two was already in orbit on Ragol

WORKS is a Military outfit -aren't they always after something stronger?

I didn't get much on the MOTHER project from my play-throughs (no internet for EP2) but wasn't that about creating a super A.I.? (To lead/protect the people?) Potentially dangerous yes, but not intentionally dangerous.

Destructive by nature. Link1275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonia View Post
    Pioneer one's experiments with the D factor led to MAGS, and also De Rol Le

Looked at it that way (the process of editing/creating life) I think it was bio-engineering akin to growing a human ear on a rat's back; it was for re-constructive/medical purpose. It was only Montague who purposely turned these things into weapons when Pioneer Two was already in orbit on Ragol

WORKS is a Military outfit -aren't they always after something stronger?

I didn't get much on the MOTHER project from my play-throughs (no internet for EP2) but wasn't that about creating a super A.I.? (To lead/protect the people?) Potentially dangerous yes, but not intentionally dangerous.
    It seems like the original MOTHER project actually ended up creating Newmans. And, I'm fairly certain the government wanted weapons, not medicine.

That was the MOTHER project on PSZ --which I do believe took place on Coral, but I don't know how much of it was tied in to PSO. The MOTHER project in Ep2 was something different

But what government exactly? In Ep 1 we had "The Principal" which I took to be in charge of Pioneer 2 -and took the view that Pioneer 1 must have had a similar structure, but in EP2 we get "The Lab" which has power seemingly on-par with the Principal, but, from the VR field alone, seems much more into the R&D side of things.

I figure Osto, Calus(the original who died on-route to Ragol) and the Graves were all on the "lab" side of Pioneer one, whereas Rico would have been on the Principal side (as, from her messages, she doesn't know what had been going on until she put the clues together herself) and Flowen was military with high enough clearance to be aware of what the top-secret stuff was while he was guarding people.

So, the Military get ordered around to protect people from unknown dangers -yes they'll want more weaponary

The Principal handles things like population/food/Hunters Guild/law enforcement, they probably care only so far as new developments directly affect them, but yes they would want the military/hunters to have the gear to protect the population

The Lab, it strikes me, does all the Research and Development and "science for science's sake" and given the high-profile scientists on Pioneer 1, they probably got to research whatever they liked. The Pioneer 2 Lab is likely more restricted

The question then comes down to is the Principal/Lab in control or is there another body/council we don't know about who call the shots and what did they order to be done?
    The Big Book of Bosses -Learn how to avoid the Pain Train with 100% success and submit your own boss beating tips!

That was the MOTHER project on PSZ --which I do believe took place on Coral, but I don't know how much of it was tied in to PSO. The MOTHER project in Ep2 was something different

But what government exactly? In Ep 1 we had "The Principal" which I took to be in charge of Pioneer 2 -and took the view that Pioneer 1 must have had a similar structure, but in EP2 we get "The Lab" which has power seemingly on-par with the Principal, but, from the VR field alone, seems much more into the R&D side of things.

I figure Osto, Calus(the original who died on-route to Ragol) and the Graves were all on the "lab" side of Pioneer one, whereas Rico would have been on the Principal side (as, from her messages, she doesn't know what had been going on until she put the clues together herself) and Flowen was military with high enough clearance to be aware of what the top-secret stuff was while he was guarding people.

So, the Military get ordered around to protect people from unknown dangers -yes they'll want more weaponary

The Principal handles things like population/food/Hunters Guild/law enforcement, they probably care only so far as new developments directly affect them, but yes they would want the military/hunters to have the gear to protect the population

The Lab, it strikes me, does all the Research and Development and "science for science's sake" and given the high-profile scientists on Pioneer 1, they probably got to research whatever they liked. The Pioneer 2 Lab is likely more restricted

The question then comes down to is the Principal/Lab in control or is there another body/council we don't know about who call the shots and what did they order to be done?
    Well I can answer this much:

Destructive by nature. Link1275's Avatar

Did you even play PSZ? I played every mission in it, and to my recollection the creation of newmans was only touched on briefly in the main story. In PSZ the MOTHER project would much more likely be the project behind that game's original villain. As for what government. The government back on Coral was still in touch with Pioneer 2 until they declared themselves free of them at the end of Episode III, the government back on Coral was also calling all of the shots until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Link1275 View Post
    Did you even play PSZ? I played every mission in it, and to my recollection the creation of newmans was only touched on briefly in the main story. In PSZ the MOTHER project would much more likely be the project behind that game's original villain.
    Which was my point. I asked if the Ep2 Mother project was an AI development program, and you mentioned the original one which I linked back to the story events of PSZ as it didn't answer my question about the Ep2 project. And yes, I know PSZ's Mother project has AI development aspects to it, but that doesn't lead to PSO's Mother project being the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Link1275
    As for what government. The government back on Coral was still in touch with Pioneer 2 until they declared themselves free of them at the end of Episode III, the government back on Coral was also calling all of the shots until then.
    I clearly need to play more Ep3, but I read Break as an anti-Pioneer government person, rather than anti-Coral government.

Thank you for the flow chart Kenblog -but that suggests that the Coral government had no direct influence on the Pioneer 2 Principal government. Do you know if that chart is related to Ep1, 2, 3 or 4?
    The Big Book of Bosses -Learn how to avoid the Pain Train with 100% success and submit your own boss beating tips!